Author Topic: Equipment help  (Read 608 times)

A Jussero

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Equipment help
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:01:44 AM »
Really stupid question--building new gates and I don't have access to a table or jig saw, any suggestions on how to cut the plastic lattice without fracturing it?

Thanks!

Ann
Ann J.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: Equipment help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Really stupid question--building new gates and I don't have access to a table or jig saw, any suggestions on how to cut the plastic lattice without fracturing it?

Thanks!

Ann

Do like I do and have Lowe's or Home Depot cut it for you!!!  Way easier!

And many times they do it for free.... and sometimes it is 0.50 per cut after the first one..... but still easier!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Anne Etherton

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
They will also cut the PVC for free.

Anne
Anne

A Jussero

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
Thanks, Sharon, for the fast answer but I live in North Dakota, closest store like that--3 hours away!
Ann J.

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 02:32:14 PM »
It's REALLY simple . . .

Arm yourself with a good quality utility knife . . . NOT a "box cutter"; but a utility knife like the ones used to score and cut drywall . . .

Put in a NEW, SHARP blade . . .

Get yourself a "straight-edge" 2-3 feet long . . .

Mark your lattice where you want to cut it . . .

Now, place the straight-edge on that line . . . and repeatedly "score" the lattice about 8-10 times.  I find it easiest to score ONE segment (open edge to open edge) at a time . . .

Once the lattice is adequately "scored", bend the lattice "backwards" at the "score" . . . just the way a drywaller would do . . . and the lattice will SNAP apart . . .

The cuts are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much straighter and neater than those made with a jig saw . . . or a hand-held circular saw . . . and IMHO, A LOT easier . . .

BTW, I've been cutting vinyl lattice this way for over 15 years . . .

Hugs & wags,

Al & Pelli in OH
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Karin

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »
Might want to go with Al's suggestion. My Lowes and Home depot stores would not cut the lattice. Karin

A Jussero

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:12:09 PM »
Going to get a new knife blade and try it tomorrow, windchill is forecast down to  -57 so a good day to work inside.
Ann J.