Author Topic: 4" or 6" practice tunnel spacers?  (Read 901 times)

Kris D

4" or 6" practice tunnel spacers?
« on: February 15, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »
Does anyone have any input on whether for backyard practice a 4" or 6" rings spaced on a tunnel would matter?  I am not sure if that makes a big difference but the price difference suggests it the 4" is better, and I know required for completion.  Just wonder if the 6" will last as long for practice
Thanks,
Kris
Kris

StefanElvstad

• Judge
Re: 4" or 6" practice tunnel spacers?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
The reason 4" is required for competition is that it is a safety issue. The 6" versions are more likely to have distorsions in the shape at the tunnel holders and also in any curve you create. I would definitely go with the 4" pitch, and with two otherwise identical tunnels, the 4" pitch version will last longer, so over time, there probably is no cost advantage to 6".
Stefan Elvstad
Liberté Agilité Fraternité

Cynthia & springers

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:11:20 AM »
There is a lot more weight to the 4 in. pitch, so that is something else to think about for home use, if you are the one carrying it around.  There is no doubt that 4 in. is nicer, but...

Cynthia & the springers
Cynthia Gilliland &
Ivy, Rosie, Eero, & Iris
Wilder, VT

Jean Sather (McCreight)

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 05:39:55 AM »
Might depend on what size your dogs are and how hard they hit tunnels.  If you have smaller dogs who don't have a reputation as "tunnel movers", I'd think you could get along fine with 6" tunnels for practice ...
Jean & Tux
Montana

Lynn in VT

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »
I've had 6" pitch tunnels for about 5 years and they are still in excellent shape.  I am careful about not distorting their shape with tunnel holders -- and otherwise.  I also rarely leave them out in the elements -- they are almost always put in the trailer after we use them.  On the few occasions that I leave them out, they are stacked and protected from wind and sun as much as possible.

I do have to agree with Cynthia -- They are MUCH lighter to carry than 4"pitch -- the only ones I can carry -- NONE of us are getting any younger!  However,  I understand and support NADAC's concern about safety with all equipment, and I have to beg to borrow others' tunnels when we do VT runs (I have only 1 with 4" pitch); but for practices, I use what I have, keeping the heaviest nearest the storage, while remaining mindful of safety concerns by keeping an eye on any tunnels we use.

Lynn

Lynn in VT
& Mia & Zodi & Redi

Janine McGee

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 03:56:57 PM »
In the 6" tunnels the depth of the folds on the inside of a curve are deeper. Can trap feet on small dogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Janine McGee

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 09:03:44 AM »
While 4" pitch tunnels are heavier they are safer, last longer and are required by NADAC for safety reasons. We have seen dog's feet and tails get caught in tunnels. Some dogs "jump" into tunnels collapsing the rings down forward and pinching/catching the dog's tails. Feet are usually caught by really fast dogs pushing in between the rings. If a dog is caught they will be screaming...get there quick and stretch the tunnel out to release the dog.   

If you can't carry tunnels, try using a long stick of heavy PVC thru the tunnel, this takes two people or just roll it.

Good luck .....have fun.

LinB
mdt-AA LLC

Kris D

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I had never thought about little feet!  I have taller dogs, but still, the mental image that creates is scary.  I have never seen a 6" pitch tunnel, so I wasn't sure how much difference the 2" spacer makes.  Thanks everyone!
Kris
Kris