Author Topic: Intro Jump Heights?  (Read 945 times)

Erin Wajda

• Judge
    • Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
Intro Jump Heights?
« on: September 03, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »
I've been informed that dogs entering the Intro level must jump lower than their Standard Proficient jump height.  I am wondering if Intro dogs are required to enter the Skilled category, or would any jump height reduction be sufficient such as that taken for Veterans (or VH) division?

Thanks,
Erin
Erin Wajda
Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
Sand Lake, NY

quamashbcs@yahoo.com

• Agility Junky
Re: Intro Jump Heights?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »
I am disappointed by this ruling. One of our many issues is knocking bars. Obviously we can't work on that in the trial environment if the jump heights are lower.

Frances & FitzRoy.
Frances Hannan
NATCH2 V-NATCH Wednesday TN-E-600
FitzRoy IAC S-ICC S-IJC TN-E WV-I O-HP-I
Jessica & Blaze (angels)

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
Erin,

The way I understand it and I cant find the post that I read  :-\  .... is that in Intro a dog can jump any height the handler wishes it just cant be higher then the standard jump height.

If the handler has the dog entered in some novice and some intro then the secretary can add the dog twice under the handler with like an I after the dogs name ie. Fluffy - I  and just Fluffy for Novice.  That way you could put the dog at the desired jump height for each level.

Jeannie
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:28:15 AM »
Erin,

The way I understand it and I cant find the post that I read  :-\  .... is that in Intro a dog can jump any height the handler wishes it just cant be higher then the standard jump height.

If the handler has the dog entered in some novice and some intro then the secretary can add the dog twice under the handler with like an I after the dogs name ie. Fluffy - I  and just Fluffy for Novice.  That way you could put the dog at the desired jump height for each level.

Jeannie

That is correct Jeannie.  Intro can enter at any height, as long as it isn't higher than their measured height.

It has been "assumed" that the reason for entering Intro is that it is a young dog that isn't ready for prime time yet and needs some positive ring time experience or an older dog that needs some shorter courses and a positive experience.

For those reasons, it is also assumed that it is in the best interest of the "need ring experience" or older dog that the dogs would be jumping lower.  It is not a requirement, but it is an assumption.

If a dog needs some positive ring experience, many times those dogs do not approach jumps in the safest manner due to their lack of experience and the older dog certainly doesn't need a higher height.

Since Intro has so few jumps on the courses, one hadn't thought about Intro being an option for those wanting to work on bar knocking issues, but I guess that could be an option.   Most handlers at the Intro level want the lowered height so the dog learns about flow and teamwork and doesn't have to focus as hard on the height of the jumps.

But if a handler is working on jumping performance issues, then they would want to jump their Proficient height.  I am just hoping that it would be a minimal number of handlers with those issues and that most realize that agility is about teamwork and not about a jump height.  If an experienced handler choose their Proficient height for a dog with bar knocking issues, I would support them.  I do hope that the other handlers would choose a lower height for their dogs during their Intro ring experiences.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Erin Wajda

• Judge
    • Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
Thanks so much for the clarification.  That is what I had originally thought but I was questioned at our last trial and I could not locate any specific rule other than the fact that fun-raiser premiums list 16" as the maximum jump height for Intro.

Thanks
Erin
Erin Wajda
Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
Sand Lake, NY