Author Topic: Don Cuda URGENT! Please Read!  (Read 6910 times)

AndreaEntin

• Judge
Re: Don Cuda URGENT! Please Read!
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2015, 08:13:45 AM »
I can't believe he is gone.  He was a great guy. 

I always considered him part of our Kansas City crew.  He was such a blast to have at the trials or even just coming over to the house to hang out with everyone and have one or our doggie days. We would all sit in the back yard and have 15 to 20 dogs running and having fun. I always remember that Don and my then husband Robert always had an ongoing competition on who would run the games the fastest.  The smack talk that went down at a regular every day trial was epic.  It was so amusing to just sit back and watch those 2 go at it.  At times they would even bet an entire dollar on it!!!

His purple outfit at champs will be an enormous gap this year and years to come.  He was the pioneer of that fun competition and will always have done it the best in my eyes.

RIP Don. You will be sorely missed my friend. :'(
Andrea Entin
Bang and Linkin

Marsha01

« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
There is a U2 Kan Du trial in Don's home state of Kansas this weekend.  Don judged and participated in many U2 Kan Du trials including Matt and Martha's 1oth anniversary trial.  I think all competitors should dedicate their runs to Don this weekend and run in his spirit.  Don was a great person and this showed in his life.  One quick story that I hope Rae will read. 

Matt and Martha always have a costume contest at their Halloween show.  I needed somebody to pull a dog in a wagon for me so Richard Wolfe did.  Richard had on a purple fedora.  Their is a prize for the best dressed male.  Richard was one of only a few males there.  The judge asked Richard who he was and he said Don Cuda.  Richard won the best dressed male.  The next year Don was at the trial as a competitor.  This year Richard added to his Don Cuda outfit.  He walked his 2 papillons wearing nametags of Don's dogs.  Richard was wearing shorts, purple knee sox, purple t-shirt and the purple fedora.  Richard also had the infamous pony tail.  After the costume contest I told Don that we may add another piece to the costume next year.  Richard did not have a jacket or pants.  Don said to go for the pants!!!  Richard still needs purple pants and purple jacket.  Richard's pieced together outfit could never compare to Don's but it was fun.  My condolences to Don's family.  May you find comfort in the memories of our man in the purple suit.  Nobody can take his place.

julenec

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
RIP Don.  I always loved you happy smile.  Condolences to Rae and family.  Don will be greatly missed.
Julene Cooper

Rena Bonem

• Trial Secretary
    • Baylor University Home Page
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2015, 11:59:16 AM »
I can't begin to say how much I will miss Don.  He was supposed to judge our Valentine's trial this weekend, like he had for the past 7 years.  When he e-mailed that he was sorry about the late notice, but would not be able to come because he was headed to the hospital, I had no idea that would be our last communication.  He was always willing to share his knowledge and philosophy of course building and help those in need.  He built confidence in novice handlers and those with dogs with issues and always had something positive to say.  He gave my scared rescue boy, Brady, special cookies when we crated near each other at Calera so he could get over his fear of men.  He will live on through the lives of all he touched.  Rena and the Waco crew
Rena Bonem, Trial Secretary Waco Agility Group
Brady and Lady Bug, Will'em retired, Goldie: under couch potato, and Lucy and Tess, my agility angels

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
Jim and I are very sad to hear that Don has left us. 

It seems odd to think that we will miss someone that we only saw once or twice a year, but we will definitely miss Don.  It never really mattered how much time had passed since we last saw Don, each time we did see him it was like no time had passed at all.  He was a very warm, friendly, down to earth guy. 

Often times we never really get to know much about our agility friends other than things that relate to dogs and agility.  Somehow we know what Don used to do for a living and about his other interests such as old cars and motorcycles.  I feel like we even know more about Rae than some of the folks we see every week.

He was an interesting and funny guy and we will miss him greatly.  He took alot of good natured ribbing and always handled it with grace.

Hopefully this story will put a smile on your face and leave you with a happy mental picture of Don ..... a few years ago at the St. Louis fundraiser I overheard someone talking to Rae about all of Don's new facial hair.  Rae replied that she told him to shave it off because it made him look like Papa Smurf.  I looked across the field at Don who was wearing blue denim shorts and his blue tie dyed shirt and it all I had not to laugh. 

Gina Pizzo
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

moreneb

• Judge
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
RIP Don.
Morene

Joyce Roessner

• Judge
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2015, 07:41:30 AM »
I am so so sorry to hear about Don,he was such a lovely man. All my sympathy to Rae and his family. 
Joyce Roessner
Calgary, Alberta

Amy McGovern

« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
I'm hoping someone is sending these great memories to his family!  I'll add two more fun Don stories.  He has always been so kind and wonderful to us, and especially to my son who started running as a junior handler quite young.  I remember when my son was very young, maybe 5 or so, and he was running our older dog in elite tunnelers.  He had a nice clean run but didn't make time and was upset.  Don knelt down to talk to him and encouraged him to keep running and keep working on his timing and that he would eventually learn to make elite time (he was right!).  He came off the course happy and encouraged, which was great. He was always that way with people!  Kind and encouraging!

The other funny story to share is the Lickety Split trial in November 2011 where he was the judge and the game was to build a pumpkin that looked like Don.  The pumpkins were all quite amusing looking and he rolled right with the game.  Good sense of humor and we were all laughing at the pumpkins!

-Amy and the schnauzer pack
Amy and the schnauzers

DebbieClark

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2015, 12:29:19 PM »
At my very first NADAC trail, my dog & I were horrible.  Don found something positive about every one of our runs.

He was so kind to me, RIP Don.

Debbie 
Roxie ICC, IAC
Tre

runningmadly

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »
He was a good man, and a good friend. We will miss him.  Our condolences to Rae and their family.  I remember one year at Championships it seemed like every time I ran he was the person who took my leash.  He was just such a calming influence.  We are so sad to know that we will not see him again but we will keep his memory alive in our hearts.

Pat & Tom Moloney-Harmon

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2015, 10:21:43 AM »
I'm not a Facebook member because of security concerns (only my problem, no criticism here) but I've been forwarded copies of a couple of pictures that Lorrie Stelz posted from the U2 Kan Du trial this past weekend.  We all wore purple and I dressed up in the costume that I assembled and was helped with by Marsha Orrick (great vest she made).  The mustache was cotton from an aspirin bottle.

Lest anyone think that I was making spprt of Don, nothing could be further from the truth.  We were very good friends and he seemed to enjoy the costume when I wore it for Halloween in 2013 and told me so. 
Anyway, the whole weekend was a celebration of the life of a great friend and fine man.  There were a few misty eyes over the weekend but mostly we shared cherished memories of a very personable and fun loving man.  I remember lots of big grins behind that big white mustache and the very quiet, impish chuckle.  He would have joined in and I'm sure he was observing us and had a grin on his face.  Don, you can't imagine how many times someone all over the world will think of you at an agility trial.  And you'll be here with us as long as even one of us who ever met you is still around.

Goodbye, fare well, good friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Wolfe, and your little buddies, Sparkle, Rowdy and Rumor
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:37:06 AM by Richard Wolfe »
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2015, 08:25:36 AM »
RIP friend Don

Dress me in Purple
Lay me down on NATCH ribbons and Medals