Author Topic: Pre-Elite requrements  (Read 2440 times)

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Pre-Elite requrements
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 07:09:08 AM »
I was almost to the point of understanding why a dog with 100 Elite points *might* be eligible to enter a "Pre" Elite class, but now I really don't understand how a dog, using the "second chance" option with more than 100 points, could be a Pre-Elite dog....?

I didn't mind having to compete against Open level dogs but with the thought of dogs with multiple Elite Qs running against much lower experienced dogs just doesn't sound so much fun for *me*. My young dog won't care, and, yes, the experience of just being there would be great for her, but for me,  I'm kind of hoping for a more level playing field. Yes, I'm a competitive person who enjoys going to Champs to see dogs who have worked to qualify just to enter. This just seems skewed.....

Maybe I just don't get why someone with an Elite dog wouldn't enter Elite????

Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 10:21:57 AM »
Sorry Kyle I can't agree. Agility is NEVER a completely level playing field. What is fair to one person will almost always be unfair to Someone else. My old dog would jump minus 4" if he could take all the drops available to him (skilled, age and breed) but competes against dogs 3 jump heights above that at Champs (imagine 8" dogs competing on equal footing with 20" dogs). I don't care, we've gone twice and had a great time.   A friend's dog, who would benefit from a height drop, has their birthday right after champs. Another might have Their birthday the week before and get that 4" drop. Fair? This year there have been some parameters added to pre-elite--dogs can have "some" elite Qs. I think 100 points is not Unfair--many dogs have 100 without yet being consistently elite level dogs. How would you feel if next year your young dog had 90 elite points after 9 tries and was still eligible?  Or 100 after 30 or 40 tries and wasn't?  Last year Anybody could run in pre-elite. This year the field has been limited. I think That is fairer.  It's Champs.  Go and have fun.
Vicki
Vicki Storrs

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »
I was almost to the point of understanding why a dog with 100 Elite points *might* be eligible to enter a "Pre" Elite class, but now I really don't understand how a dog, using the "second chance" option with more than 100 points, could be a Pre-Elite dog....?

I didn't mind having to compete against Open level dogs but with the thought of dogs with multiple Elite Qs running against much lower experienced dogs just doesn't sound so much fun for *me*. My young dog won't care, and, yes, the experience of just being there would be great for her, but for me,  I'm kind of hoping for a more level playing field. Yes, I'm a competitive person who enjoys going to Champs to see dogs who have worked to qualify just to enter. This just seems skewed.....

I could be completely wrong about this - I'm sure Sharon will clarify - but the way I interpreted Sharon's answer about Second Chance was that the dog who had 100 + Elite Regular points, but couldn't get the 20 Chances points, might be able to get into Elite Champs with the 2nd chance entry.  Not that they would get into Pre-Elite Champs, but that not being able to get 20 Chances points might not keep them out of Elite Champs...

Maybe I just don't get why someone with an Elite dog wouldn't enter Elite????

Kyle
Marcy, Toby, Abby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 02:35:40 PM »

Kyle

Kyle, they would be a second chance dog in "Elite" not pre-elite.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kyle

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 05:30:55 AM »

Kyle

Kyle, they would be a second chance dog in "Elite" not pre-elite.

Sharon

Ah! Thank you Marcy and Sharon for clarifying this for me. I was obviously lost....not unusual!  :P

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Kyle

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 06:02:00 AM »
Sorry Kyle I can't agree. Agility is NEVER a completely level playing field. What is fair to one person will almost always be unfair to Someone else. My old dog would jump minus 4" if he could take all the drops available to him (skilled, age and breed) but competes against dogs 3 jump heights above that at Champs (imagine 8" dogs competing on equal footing with 20" dogs). I don't care, we've gone twice and had a great time.   A friend's dog, who would benefit from a height drop, has their birthday right after champs. Another might have Their birthday the week before and get that 4" drop. Fair? This year there have been some parameters added to pre-elite--dogs can have "some" elite Qs. I think 100 points is not Unfair--many dogs have 100 without yet being consistently elite level dogs. How would you feel if next year your young dog had 90 elite points after 9 tries and was still eligible?  Or 100 after 30 or 40 tries and wasn't?  Last year Anybody could run in pre-elite. This year the field has been limited. I think That is fairer.  It's Champs.  Go and have fun.
Vicki

Vicki,
Since you asked, I'll tell you the honest truth. If my young dog had 90 Elite points, I, personally, would enter Elite. BUT - that's just me.  :)  I guess it's just that I've always been under the impression that Champs is not anything like a regular weekend trial. It's a special event where the ante is upped, and I like it that way! I agree with you that when jump heights need to be combined at Champs that can make it more difficult on smaller dogs. But I'm not sure that jump heights are the same as levels of training. Kind of thinking that's an "apples vs. oranges" thing in my mind.  :)

You can bet a zillion dollars that I will go to Champs and have a super fun time! I always do, no matter what!  ;D

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA