Author Topic: Champs in Utah 2016  (Read 1896 times)

Sharon, AZ

Champs in Utah 2016
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »
I haven't been to Champs before and I would like to be as prepared as possible so I can concentrate on my dog and running.  Would it be worth while to start a thread where experienced people can note some of their "must haves" or suggestions for us newbies?   

Maybe it could be a "sticky" topic and people could throw in a bit or two as it strikes them.

Also, I would like to bring my other dog who will not be running, but would be a nice calming, bit of normalcy for my dog who will be running.  Is it ok to bring dogs not entered?

Thanks all, Sharon, AZ

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
Re: Champs in Utah 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:14:45 AM »
I haven't been to Champs before and I would like to be as prepared as possible so I can concentrate on my dog and running.  Would it be worth while to start a thread where experienced people can note some of their "must haves" or suggestions for us newbies?   

Maybe it could be a "sticky" topic and people could throw in a bit or two as it strikes them.

Also, I would like to bring my other dog who will not be running, but would be a nice calming, bit of normalcy for my dog who will be running.  Is it ok to bring dogs not entered?

Thanks all, Sharon, AZ

As for brining another dog:  If the dog performs in agility, the pre-Champs part of the week is a regular trial, so he/she could be entered in that.  No dogs not entered in Champs are allowed in the arena building, so as to limit the distractions of the dogs on-course.  There are shelters (roofed but no outside walls), horse stalls, actually, that may be rented for crating space.  They are 8 or 10 feet by 10 feet.  Very easy to access and roomy.  You can even have room for a lounge chair to use for a nap if you need.  There are not electrical outlets at every stall but they are fairly near.  It is a GREAT idea to bring a long extension.  I bring one used for Christmas lights that has several outlets along its length and heavy duty wire.  I string it above the stalls and allow others to tap into the other outlets.  That's the reason for heavy duty wire.  Don't want any safety hazards around all the dogs.  Many also bring a fan (electric or battery) to keep the air moving in the stall.  Weather can be variable  Here's a link for some research.    http://utah.com/salt-lake-city
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Sharon, AZ

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:27:15 PM »
Oh, the extension cord is a great idea.  I do hope to rent a stall.  Thanks!  Sharon, AZ

Billie Rosen

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 04:52:50 PM »
Sharon, Champs (and Pre-Champs) are much more like a normal NADAC trial than not like one.  You don't need shade, nor even a chair since if I recall correctly, there is seating overlooking the show floor (but you might want a stadium seat, much more comfortable than sitting on the bare metal bleachers).  Bring a cooler for drinks and snacks, and even meals (the food vendor wasn't given 5 stars the last 2 Champs there).  Bring treats and/or quiet toys to help prepare your dog to run.  Depending on the weather, a fan or heater for the stall, if the weather merits it.  And a chair for your stall is nice too.  And bring money.  There are really great vendors at Champs.  And you might well want to order videos of your runs (don't know if Three Pines will be there this year or not).
Billie Rosen    agilek9s@q.com
Kruz'n (Border Terrier)  NATCH 28, Vers. NATCH 14
Klev'r (Border Terrier)  NATCH 11, Vers. NATCH 9
Book'n (Border Terrier)  working on 1st NATCH

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 04:56:24 PM »
Labels with your name (and cell # if you want) to put on ALL THE RAFFLE TICKETS you're gonna buy!
Vicki
Vicki Storrs

Sharon, AZ

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:17:15 PM »
Thank you, Billie for all the tips!  Hopefully we'll see you there, Sharon

Sharon, AZ

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »
Labels with your name (and cell # if you want) to put on ALL THE RAFFLE TICKETS you're gonna buy!
Vicki

Well, I would not have thought of that ... good one!  Thanks, Vicki!
Sharon

Yvette Cook

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 05:54:27 AM »
We will get you prepared Sharon! Reserve a stall if you want as well and all to be with other AZ people. Many decorate them and it's fun!
Yvette
Yvette
Phoenix, AZ

Sharon, AZ

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »
Ahhhh, thanks Yvette - you and all the AZ contingent are always generous and helpful.  (I'm sure I'll be leaning on you!)  Beau's getting up there in age and I would just like to experience Champs because Clint ... well ....
Sharon, AZ

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 12:51:58 AM »
This will be my second year at Champs (first was two years ago in Utah). It's a lot of fun! If you have a friend going and your dogs get along ok, you can share a stall to save on money. They're horse stalls, so plenty big for sharing. Yvette and I share, and I bring an XPen for my kids and she has her crates. I bring 2 with me who aren't running (one isn't an agility dog and the other is learning and NOT ready to trial). Your running dog will spend the majority of the time NOT competing, so they can be with the non-running dog the vast majority of the time. There's a nice big grass area they can play in as well.

As was said, there are bleachers in the arena, but I learned last time that you really should have the stadium seats. I was so sore sitting there long. Two ladies came from Australia and bought stadium seats while there, so I got to use those when they weren't and I bought them from them at the end (since they couldn't fit them in their luggage to go home). I REALLY wished I had brought or bought one from the beginning! :)

Can't think of anything else that hasn't been covered already. Pack like you would for any agility trial, only remembering that it's longer, and you don't need to provide shade because of the stalls. There are food options off site as well, so you're not stuck with just the vendor and what you bring. There's also a Walmart not too far.
Jessi Zamboni

Sharon, AZ

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »
Thanks, Jessi.  Yes, the stadium-back seats will be a must.  See you there!  Sharon, AZ

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 09:30:49 PM »
So the stall/crating area has no walls (i.e. open to wind, etc?) I thought they were in an enclosed building.  Can you verify this for me?  I would be able to bring a propane heater as needed then if it's open air.  Otherwise I'll leave it at home.  I don't think plugging a space heater/fan into an extension cord with other people plugged into it would be a good idea.  LOL!
Lorrie Stelz

Kaiden: NATCH 10, VersNATCH 8 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye MX MXJ MXF O-HP-E XBR-E IT HIC HOF
Tripp: NATCH 4, VersNATCH 3, All Around NATCH BB's Embrace The Journey HIT HIC HOF
& ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 VersNATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF

Yvette Cook

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
You can bring your propane heater, I brought one. I was hoping I had a better picture of the stalls but this is the only one I have. Maybe someone else has one.
Yvette
Yvette
Phoenix, AZ

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 09:50:18 PM »
Here are pics from the last Champs there, you can see the barns in the background. And one photo taken inside the stall of my cuties, you can kinda see the stall walls. They don't go all the way up. Wasn't cold in there IMO

Jessi Zamboni

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 04:01:38 AM »
Thanks so much to those that posted pics of the stalls!  Much appreciated!!   :)
Lorrie Stelz

Kaiden: NATCH 10, VersNATCH 8 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye MX MXJ MXF O-HP-E XBR-E IT HIC HOF
Tripp: NATCH 4, VersNATCH 3, All Around NATCH BB's Embrace The Journey HIT HIC HOF
& ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 VersNATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF