Author Topic: Championships courses  (Read 22754 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Championships courses
« on: August 12, 2016, 05:57:14 PM »
Hi, 2016 NADAC Championships entrants!

Many entrants are returning entrants and some are first time entrants.  I will try to describe the types of courses and the champs setup as much as possible to answer any questions that new entrants may have.

At the NADAC Championships, we run two rounds of "Regular" each day on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Everyone also runs a 7th round on Sunday morning.  On Sunday afternoon the top 1/3 of each class will run an 8th "Finals" round.  The cumulative scores from all rounds will determine the winners of each group.  There is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of each grouping in the final awards ceremony.

At the Championships, we strive to select courses that will highlight each of the NADAC classes offered in the venue.  This helps to determine the strengths and weaknesses of each team as an overall NADAC Champion.  To highlight each of those NADAC classes the rounds of courses will "highlight" each class.

What that means is that one round will highlight Jumpers and will test the jumping skills of the team, along with contacts and weaves, but the primary "feel" of the course will be a jumpers style course.  A different course will highlight Hoopers and the course will have lots of hoops and hoopers style tests on the course, along with contacts and weaves.  There would be no jumps on the Hoopers highlighted course.

Another course will highlight Touch N Go and will have more contact performances than what is normally seen on a Regular course.  This course will test contact discriminations, and directional onto and off of the contact obstacles.  This course may or may not include weaves or jumps.

On a different round, there will be a Weavers highlighted course.  Most likely many of the weave sets will be sets of 6 with at least one set to be a set of 12.  This round will test discriminations with weave poles and directional both into and out of a set of weaves.  The course will also have contacts on the course.

Another round will be the Tunnelers round.  This course will include weaves and contacts, but will highlight directional tests using tunnels.  There will be more tunnel performances than what is normally seen on a Regular course.

A new test for this year will be a round that includes a hoop circle, as seen in the X-Hoopers class.  This course will also include weaves and contacts.  The dogs will make multiple entries into the hoop circle for directional changes and come out to do contacts, weaves, and other obstacles.  So basically the dogs will work towards the hoop circle at the top of the ring by doing some combination of contacts, weaves, jumps, hoops, or barrels and do some directional in the hoop circle, then come out of the circle and perform other obstacles and return back to the hoop circle a couple more times for directional tests.  The handler will not be allowed to pass the wings of the hoop circle, just as the rules are for the X-Hoopers class.

There will not be a "Barrelers" highlighted course but there could be barrels used on any course as an obstacle.

The remaining two rounds will be "Regular" style courses as would be seen on the weekends, although they might be longer than what is normally seen on a weekend course.

Some of the courses will be shortened for the Pre-Elite group and some might be shortened or changed for the Double Digit groups.  Be sure to listen to your walk-through instructions if you are part of the Pre-Elite or Double Digit groups and not walk out of turn, as you might miss any changes for your groups.  Be sure to walk with your correct groups.

We allow senior and physically impaired handlers to walk as long as they want, but they also need to be sure to walk the courses that match their competitive groups so they are always walking the correct courses.

The Finals round is always a normal Regular course, although it could be longer than what is normally seen on a weekend course.

The first seven rounds will be courses that highlight one of the following:  Jumpers, Hoopers, Touch N Go, Weavers, Tunnelers, and X-Hoopers.  One of the seven rounds will be a normal Regular course, although it could be longer than what is normally seen on a weekend course.

The winners after those 8 rounds will be a team that can conquer all NADAC classes offered.

In each round (except Pre-Elite) there will be one or more distance tests in honor of the Chances class.  These tests will be less than what is normally seen on a Chances course.  If a team attempts the distance test and fails (dog or handler step over the line) they will receive a 5 point line fault.  If the handler makes no attempt at the distance test, they will receive a 10 point line fault for no attempt at the test.

You will find these courses fun and challenging and we hope that everyone has a great time! Good luck and see you there!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lisa Bonker In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
Re: Championships courses
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 04:39:16 AM »
Will you be using Xpens or gates for the Hoop Circle?

Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

momsbummer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 05:26:42 AM »
What size are the gates?

Thank you.
Stef Bowers

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 06:46:27 AM »
Will you be using Xpens or gates for the Hoop Circle?

We only use x-pens.  Started that over a year ago and would never go back!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
I think it is unfair to add in a portion of a class that many handlers and dog across the country have never run. Also X-Hoopers points were not a requirement for qualifying for CHAMPS. The extreme classes were never a part of a REGULAR NATCH or a VERSATILITY NATCH either. Please reconsider this addition. While I think they are a good training option, adding those classes to my entries for regular trials was like adding a second trial for my three or four dogs running. Plus additionally harder on my dogs and myself each day. Trials went from 6 classes to the added extreme runs. Seriously what is the last date when we can withdraw your entries for a refund ? I have three dogs running and two teams.   

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
I think it is unfair to add in a portion of a class that many handlers and dog across the country have never run. Also X-Hoopers points were not a requirement for qualifying for CHAMPS. The extreme classes were never a part of a REGULAR NATCH or a VERSATILITY NATCH either. Please reconsider this addition. While I think they are a good training option, adding those classes to my entries for regular trials was like adding a second trial for my three or four dogs running. Plus additionally harder on my dogs and myself each day. Trials went from 6 classes to the added extreme runs. Seriously what is the last date when we can withdraw your entries for a refund ? I have three dogs running and two teams.

Championships is always about handlers displaying their skills in ALL NADAC classes.  It is not about a NATCH or Versatility NATCH, it is about the entire NADAC program.  X-Hoopers is not just a "training" tool, it is a fun class that tests directional skills in a different way.

Maybe if you were to try it, you would find it to be very fun!  New doesn't have to be bad, it can be the most fun you have experienced in a long time!!  Try it, you might like it.  You are a better trainer and handler than your post depicts.  Agility is agility and you can step up to any challenge given.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »

There is nothing "unfair" about highlighting a NADAC class.  That is what we have always done.  People could say it is unfair to have more jumps, or more hoops, or more tunnels.

You can withdraw by August 15th for a full refund.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 09:08:05 AM »
The extreme classes were never a part of a REGULAR NATCH or a VERSATILITY NATCH either.

X-Hoopers will be a part of a NATCH at some point in the future.  Maybe it should be sooner than later!  It is a great class that combines an awesome test of directional skills.  One of the best classes we have and should be an integral part of the NATCH program.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Dheavner

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 09:08:54 AM »
I also agree with the previous post about the X-hoopers class being added to the Champs runs.  I have never seen this class even offered in all the NADAC trials I have been to in the past 2 years.  Really isn't fair to those that do not have a choice to try and run this type of course.....all the other classes are offered at trials here...but never X-hoopers.  Kind of makes it deflating for us first timers to have to perform something that we have not had a choice to do or even try.

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 09:18:05 AM »
I did try with a couple of my dogs when those classes first started. It was fun but I couldn't keep it up. It was a matter of additional costs and more running. Sharon I respect everything you do and have always support NADAC but this is unfair. In other years those classes were not a part of the CHAMPS runs, they were separate and offered as ALL AROUND if I remember right. I hope others will speak up.   

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 09:20:23 AM »
I also agree with the previous post about the X-hoopers class being added to the Champs runs.  I have never seen this class even offered in all the NADAC trials I have been to in the past 2 years.  Really isn't fair to those that do not have a choice to try and run this type of course.....all the other classes are offered at trials here...but never X-hoopers.  Kind of makes it deflating for us first timers to have to perform something that we have not had a choice to do or even try.

Hoops are hoops.  If it is "unfair" then I am shocked.   

If you can get access to hoops, but them in the same placements where they would be for a hoop circle....... it is not very different from a normal hoopers course.

This is dog agility, obstacles are obstacles.  You have a month and a half to place hoops in a circle pattern and do directionals. 

I am so saddened by the negative response.  I am sorry, but I guess I love challenge and anyone can place my agility obstacles in any pattern and I will love the concept of stepping up to the challenge and displaying the teamwork between dog and handler at a championships event.

There isn't a single person entered that isn't capable of stepping up to that challenge.  People entered a championship event and love the challenges that are bigger and different from the normal weekend.

I can't imagine just running weekend courses for every round, but maybe that is the answer.  Not my game and probably not one I would play anymore, but it might make the masses happier to not have any challenges beyond what they see every weekend.

Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
I also have never been to a trial where the "extreme" classes are offered. While I'm not making the trek to Utah this year, I was excited to see Champs returning to Springfield in 2017. If this is the direction Champs is going then I probably won't bother trying to qualify -- especially since there is so little NADAC in my area now and it would be difficult to find trials that fit into my schedule. While I am impressed that this bit of news was shared in advance (unlike when the barrel-focused course was sprung on all of us in 2013 for the first time), it doesn't change the fact that a great number of people across the country simple do not have access to train this particular "obstacle" and have never seen it in a trial setting.

It's fine if this is the direction that NADAC chooses to take. Just know that it will alienate people and continue to drive yet more teams away from the organization. There is so little NADAC left in the upper midwest and this news will all but kill it. The 5' barrel thing already has people upset, I can't even imagine the response from some of the old faithfuls when they hear that extreme hoopers and the gate circle will one day be a requirement for NATCH.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH2/NATCH3 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy & Jedi

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »
I did try with a couple of my dogs when those classes first started. It was fun but I couldn't keep it up. It was a matter of additional costs and more running. Sharon I respect everything you do and have always support NADAC but this is unfair. In other years those classes were not a part of the CHAMPS runs, they were separate and offered as ALL AROUND if I remember right. I hope others will speak up.   

You are wrong there, Lin.  We have had a "Barrelers" course at champs and those that had supported that part of NADAC excelled in that round.  And others did just fine.

Let's just run the same thing we run every weekend and call it a NADAC Championships event that rewards people that support every NADAC class.  If we don't include X-Hoopers then we show no support for that class and yet it is probably the most fun of all classes we offer.

Just because "you" haven't supported the class doesn't make it a bad choice. 

We can cancel that round and have a normal round and I will probably withdraw my entries.  I am more excited about that round than any other round offered.  I love the concept and it has really added a big inspiration to me for the sport.  But I can wait if I have to. 

Doing agility in any combination of obstacles is not unfair.  That is what we train for and challenge ourselves to every weekend.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 09:32:12 AM »
it is not very different from a normal hoopers course.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. While you may choose to handle a normal course or a hoopers course with distance and directionals, it is certainly not a requirement. I can run my little nutball Klee Kai through any elite course (save for Chances) without any sort of directional skills. She doesn't have a switch at a distance, I never trained it. Yes, it's on me, I do not deny that. But I could easily run her through an Elite Hoopers course without any of the skills required to be successful at Extreme Hoopers. She ran Pre-Elite last year because she has zero Chances legs (we see so little NADAC that I haven't bothered to train the skills yet). If the gate circle would have been in a Pre-Elite class I would have just walked away.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH2/NATCH3 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy & Jedi

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
I am an excellent trainer and handler and have brought many people/dogs and new clubs into this sport we love. I'm not just thinking about myself, I'm speaking up for the many that won't speak up. Agility in Bend is very different from the real world of trialing.