Author Topic: Championships courses  (Read 22802 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: Championships courses
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2016, 12:54:15 PM »
In the spirit of using what you have on hand.....here is the ever popular tunnel gate.   No issue with the dog jumping the tunnels, but she did jump the horizontal gate once, when she couldn't find the straight across hoop.  With one training session, I can already see great applications with the proficiency of this skill (ie... keeping that herding dog from curling to the right or the left).  The elite dog will be fine....and it will be great training for the baby dog.

Donna

That is awesome!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2016, 01:03:49 PM »
In the spirit of using what you have on hand.....here is the ever popular tunnel gate.   No issue with the dog jumping the tunnels, but she did jump the horizontal gate once, when she couldn't find the straight across hoop.  With one training session, I can already see great applications with the proficiency of this skill (ie... keeping that herding dog from curling to the right or the left).  The elite dog will be fine....and it will be great training for the baby dog.

Donna

Hahaha.  I love it - necessity really IS the mother of invention!
Marcy, Toby, Abby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Scott Whittington

« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2016, 01:07:50 PM »
Here is a sample of a hoop circle course that would be used at championships.

Sharon

Now this would be a sneaky way of getting the hoop circle into regular trials since this would be a regular course!  Hmmmm.
Scott Whittington
Little Elm, TX

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2016, 01:15:03 PM »
Here is a sample of a hoop circle course that would be used at championships.

Sharon

Now this would be a sneaky way of getting the hoop circle into regular trials since this would be a regular course!  Hmmmm.

Hmmmm, we think on the same lines!  Not sneaky, just innovative!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kyle

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »

Donna

Now that's thinking outside the box! Or circle...or tunnel...or something! Very cool!!!!

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

JimmyS.

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2016, 04:11:36 PM »
So NADAC's specialty is hoops and handling at a distance, right? Why not get rid of "extreme hoopers" and "numbered hoopers" and combine them into ONE hoopers class with a chances type distance challenge? Have intro, novice, open, and elite lines and the same general rules as chances... maybe a "box" much like bonus boxes but instead you cannot go IN it??personally i think it would be the best of both worlds, all hoops class but with some distance challenge like "extreme hoopers".....

As for the hoop circle being in one of the courses at champs..... i like a challenge, personally, but i understand the "unfair" statements..... now if it was a required class at weekend trials, i wouldnt see any issue with it.... so if it is soon going to be required for a natch and at trials, maybe it should be included starting NEXT year? This year we could have just a hoopers inspired round with a nice distance challenge to take the hoop circles place??

Just my useless .02 cents :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:30:31 PM by JimmyS. »

Mary Kapner

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2016, 04:18:20 PM »
Well, I am biased on this subject.  I was fortunate enough to be able to go to EGC trials.  I loved it!  Actually, more than our regular trials.  I loved the ground work.  i think it added much to the communication between Mitzi and myself.  I wish it was still offered.

So, the addition of the circle doesn't upset me personally at all.  I can see where those who haven't seen or attempted it before could find it a bit scary.  But it really isn't.  Perhaps if you set up the hoops first without the ex-pens and run it as a Chances course -- then slowly add add an ex- pen at a time -- it may help you realize it isn't a big deal for any dog that has some distance training.

Don't retire, Sharon -- I need you!

Mary Kapner
"Poodle This!"

nadacroadrunner

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »
A newbie question: Will there be any hoop circles in Pre-Elite courses?

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2016, 05:03:40 PM »
Let's not forget that Champs is not a normal weekend trial which is familiar and comfortable.  Scoring is a time plus fault basis and the emphasis is not on a Q.  It is a celebration of all that is NADAC and everyone will have their strengths and weaknesses.  Some may score greater when the course favours their strengths and less when the course does not.  As with any championship of any sport you go armed with your strengths and a good mental attitude and you compete to the best of your ability. IMHO one cannot expect any Championship of any sport to cater to individuals.

The Olympics is on at the moment (yes I know the comparison is a little lofty) but imagine if say the IOC said....Gymnasts can only perform xyz moves because although Simone Biles from the USA has all the moves...  the young woman from say Samoa does not and she has lack of access to trainers to teach and has not had the opportunity to learn or practice those moves.  We would all be screaming hey that is not fair...Simone should not be limited simply because she has learned and done it all.

Please don't scream at me saying yes but she is an elite athlete...she is a professional it is her livelihood etc...  I get that.

I also know that agility exhibitors love Championships and or Nationals...they love to have the opportunity to wear a crown of achievement at the premier event of the year in their venue...why wouldn't they ? So the premier event has to be that....the premier event and cannot be likened to a normal weekend trial.  It should include all of NADAC.  Class focussed rounds are not a surprise...not unexpected nor new.

So I say arm yourselves with all your strengths and your good mental attitude and give it a red hot go.  Be aware of your weaknesses.  Accept them but don't let them steal your joy of celebrating your strengths....celebrating NADAC.  Anything can happen at a Championships.  If you spend all your time and energy on that one perceived weakness that one round will be X-Hoopers focussed you will lose sight of your strengths.  I bet the woman from Samoa goes to the Olympics determined to showcase her talents and her strengths and perform to the best of her ability.....and who knows what everyone else will do.  One thing is you can only be the best you can be.
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »
So NADAC's specialty is hoops and handling at a distance, right?

No, not right.  While we have courses with hoops and a few handlers work at a distance, I would hate to see people promoting that "NADAC"'s specialty is hoops and distance.

Those that do distance are a minor number of people.  And NADAC is about way more than just hoops.  Our purpose is stated as:

The purpose of a NADAC agility trial is to demonstrate the ability of the dog and its handler to work as a smooth functioning team.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

JimmyS.

« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2016, 05:24:18 PM »
So NADAC's specialty is hoops and handling at a distance, right?

No, not right.  While we have courses with hoops and a few handlers work at a distance, I would hate to see people promoting that "NADAC"'s specialty is hoops and distance.

Those that do distance are a minor number of people.  And NADAC is about way more than just hoops.  Our purpose is stated as:

The purpose of a NADAC agility trial is to demonstrate the ability of the dog and its handler to work as a smooth functioning team.

Sharon
I used the wrong wording with the word "specialty", my apologies.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AlixGinter

« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
I love the hoop circle! 

We are happily offering two chances at the hoop circle this weekend in Mammoth Lakes, California.  I have already received some emails from people wishing to add it to their entry....

There's still room if you act fast! :)

www.easternsierraagility.com

Alix Ginter
Mammoth Lakes, Ca

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2016, 06:08:32 PM »
I love the hoop circle! 

We are happily offering two chances at the hoop circle this weekend in Mammoth Lakes, California.  I have already received some emails from people wishing to add it to their entry....

There's still room if you act fast! :)

www.easternsierraagility.com

We have several more clubs wanting to add it to their upcoming trials also.  So there will be opportunities for some whose clubs have not offered it before but now they want to add it in.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

LFuller

• Trial Secretary
  • Pathrunner Dogs
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
I like something different . . . something that may or may not have been seen before on a course.  Keeps you on your toes!  I like a challenge at Champs and I believe that a challenge is a requirement at a national competition.  In an earlier post, Becky Wolfe’s 4th and 5th graders said it the best – a challenge is a “growth mindset”:  Wow, I love that phrase!  Maybe these 10 and 11 year-olds understand something that some of us don’t.  “Growth mindset” – I want to steal that phrase!

Sharon, keep the challenges coming!  I really like your idea of the regular course with the hoop circle at the top.  Looking forward to giving it a try at Champs.
Linda Fuller

Lynne Almeida

• Owner - Spellbinder Books
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2016, 09:12:48 PM »
Although much of what I had to say has been written by others, I wanted to chip in the story of a true Barrelers/X-Hoopers JUNKIE … me!  Although I understand the consternation voiced by folks who may be seeing this course set-up for the first time, I’m looking forward to seeing it in play at Champs, because it’s fun, not because I think it’ll give me at least one slam-dunk run (absolutely no guarantees there).  Admittedly, I am one of those who like being pushed outside their comfort zone!

Several years ago when the ‘Extreme Games Classes’ were new, our club started including them at our trial … we hadn’t really even seen courses before, hadn’t practiced much of anything, and had no clue what we were doing … but we had a blast! AND our dogs all did better than expected.

Some things we learned:
•   The x-pens might psych the handlers out, but they don’t seem to phase the dogs much at all.
•   This class is a test first and foremost of your timing and precision as a handler and your dog’s knowledge of your directional cues – there really isn’t distance beyond that which is required in Elite Chances, plus you have the ‘support’ of the x-pen circle. 
•   Draw the path for your dog and the x-pens will be more of a help than a hindrance, as long as you are careful to not get ‘on top of’ them, just like the line in chances!

Fast forward five years, and I can confidently say that X-Hoopers (and Barrelers) are among my - and my dogs’ - very favorite classes.  When they were scored the “old” way, I even had the thrill of earning some 15 pointers with my not-speed star-fast dog, through decent speed and good handling – I’m very proud of those runs!!  I have a limited trialing budget, and work long hours to feed my NADAC addiction.  I am fortunate that these classes are offered in Southern California and Southern Nevada, but only one of these trials per year is less than a three-hour drive from where I live.  Nonetheless, I have gone out of my way especially this year to ensure that the trials I do attend offer these classes.  If that means I am able to compete in fewer trials overall, that’s a tradeoff I’m happy to make.  That said, I’d sure be a happy NADAC’er to see Barrelers and X-Hoopers make their way into the VT program so we could play a few more times each season – and happier still if even more clubs offered these classes at some of their trials.

As others have said, for various reasons these pathwork-oriented classes are so great for both newer dogs and older dogs … and I have one of each! So the trials that include those classes are the ones I’ll continue to seek out.  And yes, if it came down to it, I’d drop some runs of ‘traditional’ classes before these ones - likely next year I’ll start doing exactly that for my older gal.

So, before Champs, can you get together with a few friends and pool your ex-pens?  Maybe your club can offer a special ‘circle of fun’ training/practice day or two.  Ask if you can set a ‘fun run’ after a trial (Kyle – I remember MAC doing that for the brand-new Barrelers class years ago – wasn’t that great?).  But mostly, give it a try in a way that is fun and positive for both you and your dogs!

work it ... own it ... believe it!