Author Topic: Championships courses  (Read 22671 times)

Wild Terriers

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Championships courses
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2016, 02:33:46 AM »
Wow - this is so, so sad  to read - when I read about this class I got really excited to see what NADAC would do with it, to me, it just exemplifies all that NADAC is about - I remember in 2011 with the EGC portion of Champs - the course that you put together for the final round was AWESOME - something never done before and I don't think done since, but it remains the single COOLEST, MOST FUN single round of agility I have ever had the privilege to be part of.  I really don't get all of the uproar every year when there is something "different" at champs - this will be my 12th year at champs and the one CONSTANT is that there is always at least one 'curve ball' - I believe it's a portion of the mental stamina test of handlers and it's always been interesting to watch the different reactions - I applaud the way you test teams at Champs - it's exciting (and, no, I haven't always been successful at the curves, but it sure is a rush when I have been).  And, I am sorry if there is a team entered at Champs that couldn't direct their dog through some hoops, I'd be shocked - seems to me the people part of the teams are way overthinking this - reminiscent to when hoops were added and OMG, there was a hoop focused round  at Champs - I'm not sure why people are so surprised at changes that include equipment used in NADAC classes.  And, yes I realize that some people have not participated in this claas, but let's face it the 'hoop circle' was introduced at Champs in 2010 - is it really so hard to imagine that if it's still around 6 years later (and, the class is now a NADAC class not an EGC class) that the skills required will be tested?  For me, I can't wait to see this round at Champs and seriously hope you don't remove it for non-stakes entrants.

See you soon!!

Karen and the Wild Terriers
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:18:00 AM by Wild Terriers »
Karen and the Wild Terriers

Lisa Bonker In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
Re: Championships courses
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2016, 04:59:07 AM »
Personally, I am excited to run an Xhoopers run at champs as ITZ has been offering Xhoopers and Xbarrelers for some time now.    And honestly, I am happy it is Xhoopers and not Barrelers since I have struggled with elite barrelers all year.

Since champs last year, I have trained hard for barrelers thinking it would be at champs this year like it was last year.  I have given up doing other classes so I can run in these classes to prepare myself for champs.

However, I TOTALLY understand why people are upset about Xhoopers being offered at champs this year.   Most clubs dont offer this class. In fact,  some clubs have offered barrelers instead of Xhoopers.

So I would like to respectfully ask that if Xhoopers or Barrelers focused runs are going to be offered at champs next year, to let clubs and exhibitors know NOW.  This way, clubs can adjust their classes and exhibitors can choose what trials to enter based upon what they need.        I can also add Xhoopers to my list of topics for seminars which would give people the opportunity to train for this class.

I think that if people knew they would see it at champs, clubs would offer it more and exhibitors would try it and like it !!

Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Kyle

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2016, 06:13:39 AM »
Personally, I am excited to run an Xhoopers run at champs as ITZ has been offering Xhoopers and Xbarrelers for some time now.    And honestly, I am happy it is Xhoopers and not Barrelers since I have struggled with elite barrelers all year.

Since champs last year, I have trained hard for barrelers thinking it would be at champs this year like it was last year.  I have given up doing other classes so I can run in these classes to prepare myself for champs.

However, I TOTALLY understand why people are upset about Xhoopers being offered at champs this year.   Most clubs dont offer this class. In fact,  some clubs have offered barrelers instead of Xhoopers.

So I would like to respectfully ask that if Xhoopers or Barrelers focused runs are going to be offered at champs next year, to let clubs and exhibitors know NOW.  This way, clubs can adjust their classes and exhibitors can choose what trials to enter based upon what they need.        I can also add Xhoopers to my list of topics for seminars which would give people the opportunity to train for this class.

I think that if people knew they would see it at champs, clubs would offer it more and exhibitors would try it and like it !!

My best guess would be, Lisa, that you have been given a 13 month "heads up" for what will be the focus of one of the courses in 2017.  ;)

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Dheavner

« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2016, 07:41:05 AM »
I believe that the main concern here for SOME of the NADAC Champs entrants is the fact that Xhoopers will be seen by them for the very first time in a trial environment and SOME of the entrants do this class at a trial on a regular basis.  Some of us are traveling over 1,000 miles to this event and spending a lot of money to have this opportunity to run at Champs....and to have something totally new to SOME of us and our dogs puts SOME of us at a disadvantage in that run. 

I do expect Champs to be more challenging then a regular weekend trial....after all it is Champs, but it should be more challenging in the events that we run at NADAC sanctioned trials.  I love NADAC trials and all the classes that they have to offer and I am one that enters every class they offer for that day....and would enter Xhoopers if it was ever offered (and it has NEVER been offered).

After going back and reading the 8 pages of comments, I get the feeling that at least two-thirds of the United States do not offer this class at their trials.....therefore two-thirds of us who have entered Champs are now scrambling to work on Xhoopers before Champs....whereas the other one-third have seen it numerous amount of times.  I understand that obstacles are obstacle and directionals are directionals.....but I know my dog has never seen an Xpen in a trial ring....and the first time will be at Champs.

I am sure that everyone who has entered Champs wants to do the best they can with their dog and has hopes to make it in the finals....otherwise why would a person travel thousands of miles and spend tons of money when they could go in their back yard and throw the ball for 10 minutes, go to the river, or go for a hike (the things that dogs love to do).  I am not afraid of Xhoopers and any challenge that it entails and will probably like it once I get to run it .... but the first time to do that at a premier event like Champs just doesn't feel right. 

By the way......this is just my point of view.....I am not asking for anything to be changed or altered.  As I said earlier ....I love NADAC and the many things that it offers.  I just wish that someone would have had Xhoopers be a mandatory class at a NADAC sanctioned trial over the past year or two so we could have at least the option to enter and then we could all be on equal footing.

nadacroadrunner

« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2016, 07:47:41 AM »
I agree with what Donna said.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2016, 09:05:06 AM »
Folks, you could actually trust the venue that what will be presented will not be anything that you can't handle.  X-Hoopers has been out there for six years.  The course design hasn't changed since the first course was set six years ago.  Why?  Because it has been successful since it's inception!   There has never been any frustration from handlers or any need to consider changing anything about X-Hoopers because it has worked since it's beginning.

I am not going to set anything that will wipe someone out.  Everyone there has more than enough skills to conquer this with more to spare!

If you like doing NADAC, trust that this too will be fun!

Barrels are tough, that is why the Barrelers class undergoes changes, to try to create a fun and successful class.  X-Hoopers hasn't changed because it is the most successful class offered by NADAC.  Fast, fun, and easy!  Even for competitors that have never seen it before running it!

A little trust goes a long ways......... being positive will get you through is with ease.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kristen.gates620

« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2016, 04:24:57 PM »
I see a few have added hooper to their pre champs runs, but I also know everything is closed/full now. If possible, I would really like to add both hoopers for Wednesday, so I can get a feel for it before it happens "for real." That being said, if it's full, maybe some of us would be willing give up a couple other runs that day so it doesn't go until all hours of the night. Just a thought.

We haven't seen this hooper circle before in Colorado (or at least in the last 5 years that I can recall). Lindsey said she would get something set for us to practice, but I don't think that will happen more than once.

If I can add those 2 classes, I'll send in money ASAP.

Kristen and Dakota

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »
I see a few have added hooper to their pre champs runs, but I also know everything is closed/full now. If possible, I would really like to add both hoopers for Wednesday, so I can get a feel for it before it happens "for real." That being said, if it's full, maybe some of us would be willing give up a couple other runs that day so it doesn't go until all hours of the night. Just a thought.

We haven't seen this hooper circle before in Colorado (or at least in the last 5 years that I can recall). Lindsey said she would get something set for us to practice, but I don't think that will happen more than once.

If I can add those 2 classes, I'll send in money ASAP.

Kristen and Dakota

Yes, we are allowing people to add X-Hoopers only to their existing runs.

It is a very fast class and we will have two rings, so we can get everyone done and in bed to rest for Thursday!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

MoabDiane

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »
Not sure where to put this, but here goes:

Somewhere (I did find it, but didn't quote it!), you Sharon said that the wings of the circle were 12'.
Is that correct??

It does look like about that (or even much wider) on the sample Champs course you posted.
But I haven't seen any XHoopers since last year at Champs, and I don't remember the lattice gates being anywhere near that wide.

Used to be (back in the "old days" - LOL!), it was one 4' gate and a hoop; the upper levels had two gates and another hoop.

I don't know that 12' out is a problem - it may actually be easier, requiring a less tight turn.  But just wanted to be sure I was reading/remembering correctly.

Thanks! 
diane

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2016, 05:28:46 PM »
Not sure where to put this, but here goes:

Somewhere (I did find it, but didn't quote it!), you Sharon said that the wings of the circle were 12'.
Is that correct??

It does look like about that (or even much wider) on the sample Champs course you posted.
But I haven't seen any XHoopers since last year at Champs, and I don't remember the lattice gates being anywhere near that wide.

Used to be (back in the "old days" - LOL!), it was one 4' gate and a hoop; the upper levels had two gates and another hoop.

I don't know that 12' out is a problem - it may actually be easier, requiring a less tight turn.  But just wanted to be sure I was reading/remembering correctly.

Thanks! 
diane

You are correct.  The x-pens make it much more "NADAC" distance with the increased flow.  Not as tight and jerky as when the gates are used.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2016, 06:26:56 PM »

I am sure that everyone who has entered Champs wants to do the best they can with their dog and has hopes to make it in the finals....otherwise why would a person travel thousands of miles and spend tons of money when they could go in their back yard and throw the ball for 10 minutes, go to the river, or go for a hike (the things that dogs love to do).  I am not afraid of Xhoopers and any challenge that it entails and will probably like it once I get to run it .... but the first time to do that at a premier event like Champs just doesn't feel right. 

I have not been to Champs since 2004, but did attend 6 years in a row.  I can honestly say I never even thought about making it into the finals.  The reason I went was soley to spend some time  having fun playing agility and meeting new people.  I don't go anymore because people are entirely too serious about it and the days became so long that there wasn't any time to go out and enjoy a meal and an adult beverage with friends you only see once or twice a year. 

Gina Pizzo
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

nadacroadrunner

« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2016, 06:32:31 PM »
Newbie question- will there also be hoop circles in the Pre-Elite courses?

Thanks.

Carol Riley

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »
Newbie question- will there also be hoop circles in the Pre-Elite courses?

Thanks.

Carol Riley

Yes.  With basic, simple turns.  If your dog can do a hoop pinwheel, you can handle a hoop circle!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

nadacroadrunner

« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2016, 07:02:59 PM »
Thanks.

Kristen.gates620

« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2016, 07:22:19 PM »
Thanks for such a quick response, Sharon! And thank you for being accomodating! Is much appreciated :)