Author Topic: Championships courses  (Read 22785 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: Championships courses
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »
I like Shirlene's idea, but here is my twist on that idea.  How about leaving the course as is, but run it once like the original plan and for those that do not want the x-pens, take out the x-pens and just leave the hoops.  Like the example Sharon posted earlier on how this course could look, everyone would run the same course, just that some would have the x-pens and some would not.  Those that run the course with the x-pens could get extra points.  I do not know how the logistics would work out with this as far as scoring and run order, but it would be a way to keep the hoop circle for those that want it and for those that did not want the hoop circle, the course is the same but now more of a hoop focus.

How about leave it as you originally intended except the hoop circle portion of that course is a for bonus points.  Those who don't want bonus points can leave it out and not lose anything.  Those up for the challenge get the chance to score some extra points.  If it was held as an early round  it would mean ppl could choose well before the pointy end of champs to either opt in or out of that challenge

Good input, thanks!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Koralee

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2016, 11:00:17 AM »
Just my 2 cents....   Can't wait for CHAMPS and the hoop circle to be added (was hoping to see it last year after participating in UTAH for Triple Crown.  My little 8 year old dog loves ground obstacles.  Keep the gates/xpens in the circle.  We only get to do a few hoop circles at trials a year, but practice a few times, draw the path and you will be fine.

As an instructor I personally love the ground obstacles courses.  I have dogs (Greater Swiss MD and other large breeds) that cannot do regular courses (walls, weaves, bridges), but they still get to play in the sport of agility.  When we were doing extreme games trials they were prepared to go, but now just having xhp and/or xbr on the same weekend the travel (min 5hrs) for 4 runs isn't worth the cost.  I wish more people would participate in the flat work.  Agility is about the distance between the obstacles just as much, if not more than the obstacles themselves.  That being said, they still come to class and play the game and be with their dog.  The bottom line is they still get to play with their dogs and get so much more than "competitive agility" from the sport.

Think about the Olympics right now.  How many of those athletes are saying in my area we don't have "wind/rain" so it's not fair.  The equipment isn't the same, the venue is not the same.  How many have to spend thousands of dollars to train, travel and compete at that level.  I travel a minimum 5 hours to the closest trial 6-7 times per year just to qualify for champs.  I go to champs cause it is fun and I get to push my dog and challenge myself.  If I walk away with a ribbon or two that's great.  Please don't misunderstand, I am a competitive person and I want to do well, but not to the point when I would push my dog beyond what she can handle.

Shall I compare NADAC to the Olympics, maybe not; however like any competitive sport at the Championship level skills, attitude, ability to handle pressure, crowds all add to the experience; not just the ability to perform "agility skills".  It is more a mental game.  My other dog goes to small trials and has issues with thunder.  I don't take her to Champs cause what if she can't handle it.  Last year we heard fireworks or guns from the base and that would not be fair to her. 

Keep up the great work Sharon and NADAC.  I am so thankful that my 14 year old poodle, my 11 year old Border Collie and the younger dog I have now will have a sport that will challenge them (and me) for as long as possible.

Again, just my 2 cents..
NADAC Rocks!
Koralee

JanB

« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »
Hopefully the hoop circle will be available to pre elite teams too.  Juvi and I are up for the challenge!

Marsha01

« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »
We attended a gates seminar done by Sharon about 4 or 5 years ago.  While the gate/hoop circle is not used in many of our local trials I have found it very beneficial in teaching directional skills at a distance.  I hope to see the gate circle at champs.  Minnie has fun with it and my young dog is enjoying it too.  It has improved her switch command and go on skills.

Marsha Orrick, Princess Minnie and Munkin

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »
Hopefully the hoop circle will be available to pre elite teams too.  Juvi and I are up for the challenge!

Definitely!  We would not exclude our Pre-Elite, enthusiastic teams!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

ricbonner

« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2016, 06:49:36 PM »
Seeing as I have absolutely no clue as how X-hoopers is run, can someone point me in a direction where I might see some previous X-hoopers runs from Champs?

Here are youtube links from Champs 2015.  Cody is a young dog and Casey is a seasoned veteran.  This is the first time we ever tried x-hoopers.  All 6 runs are Novice.

Cody #1

Cody #2

Cody #3

Casey #1

Casey #2

Casey #3

I hope it is helpful.

Dheavner

« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »
Thank you Ric!!!!!

Donna & Gracie

« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2016, 11:32:03 PM »
Wow, that looks way different using xpens verses the pvc lattes gates !!! I can't wait to get enough xpens to set this up. Thanks for the visual aid Ric.
Luv my mini aussie
Donna & Gracie

Crystal Young

« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2016, 11:06:26 PM »
Just putting this out there for anyone that might be trialing on the road to Champs. Our local club is hosting  a trial Sept 9-11 and we will be offering x hoppers at this trial. Great time to try it if you're able to make our trial. It is in Bozeman Montana host club is GDAC. I always thought the hoop circle would be scary. My dog loves the circle and in fact has scored his highest yps in this course several times. It really is a fun class the dogs really enjoy the class. Come play with us if you can before Champs.

Crystal Young
Owned and loved by the Gray Ghost
NATCH 3 V-NATCH 2 Durango
Helena  MT

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2016, 11:20:55 PM »
There is such an overwhelming response to "wanting" a hoop circle course, we are still trying to figure out how to make the majority happy.  Right now the major consensus is to have the same course, both with and without the circle built and let people choose which version they want to run, either with or without the x-pens on.  They can run with their dog or gamble on running with the circle built and highlight X-Hoopers skills for extra points.

I really appreciate the input and I sure have lots of it!  We have some that have voiced that they don't want it and I am sure there are many that don't want it and haven't voiced that opinion and I am sure that many have not voiced that they do want it.  At some point I will ask for a response one way or the other so I can try to figure out running orders!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

momsbummer

« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2016, 04:40:42 AM »
Let's just do it!!  Count Bummer and Bubbbles in the circle/hoops/gates and all....
Stef Bowers

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2016, 05:33:22 AM »
There is such an overwhelming response to "wanting" a hoop circle course, we are still trying to figure out how to make the majority happy.  Right now the major consensus is to have the same course, both with and without the circle built and let people choose which version they want to run, either with or without the x-pens on.  They can run with their dog or gamble on running with the circle built and highlight X-Hoopers skills for extra points.

I really appreciate the input and I sure have lots of it!  We have some that have voiced that they don't want it and I am sure there are many that don't want it and haven't voiced that opinion and I am sure that many have not voiced that they do want it.  At some point I will ask for a response one way or the other so I can try to figure out running orders!!

Sharon
Please address how this would impact the Stakes classes.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »
Please address how this would impact the Stakes classes.
Linda

Exactly the same Linda.  With or without.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
If you know "for sure" that you would prefer an X-Hoopers course to either have the enclosed circle or not have the enclosed circle, let me know.  I know many people want to wait until after the Wednesday X-Hoopers run at the pre-champs runs, so there is no need to feel pressured right now.  But if you know for sure one way or the other that you do or you don't, I can start playing with the run orders for Friday so I split each group into those that want the circle enclosed and those that do not want the circle enclosed.  You can email me privately.  No pressure to have an answer right now.  Those that know for sure, let me know.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kristen.gates620

« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
I'll need another week. Never experienced this while hoop circle thing before, but I'm going to practice at Lindsey's house next weekend to give this whole hoop circle a go. Once I get a little practice, I'll have a better idea. My initial reaction is that it will all be fun and ok :)

Kristen and Dakota