Author Topic: Championships courses  (Read 22813 times)

Lynn Saunders

• Trial Secretary
  • Karosel Sheltie 3-Pack
Re: Championships courses
« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2016, 05:37:55 PM »
Having never done the Hoop Circle in EGC..... how will the Hoop Circle judged at Champs? For instance if they take the wrong hoop is that a 10 point off course fault? At which point we would want to redirect the dog to the correct hoop and continue?

Thanks!
Lynn
Lynn Saunders
Truckee, CA
Where the Stars Shine Brighter...

Foomin Z

« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »
I'm a little stunned that so many changes are happening to the champs schedule after the premium is published. No other venue would do this, because people enter according to what they read in the premium. Does this happen every year, every champs?

lorriemaxx

« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »
Actually, I think that the changes are happening because Sharon was trying to give people a heads up on what to expect.  When she got feedback from people who were worried about the challenge, she changed things to accommodate them.  If she wouldn't have given people notice on what to expect, there wouldn't have been any changes beforehand, but there might have been a lot of consternation at championships (like there apparently was with the barrelers-themed course in the past).

I'm not saying that the situation is good or bad, but it certainly has been interesting to see how everyone has responded.

I know that people sign up per the premium in other venues, but I also know that for some of the games, the rules are briefed when you get there, so in essence, you are signing up "blind" for a run.
Lorrie,
NATCH-13, Versatility NATCH-9, 10K points, Platinum Speed Star Maxx (retired)
and
NATCH-4, Versatility NATCH-3 Flying Pixie Dust "Pixie"

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »
I'm a little stunned that so many changes are happening to the champs schedule after the premium is published. No other venue would do this, because people enter according to what they read in the premium. Does this happen every year, every champs?

On so many posts, people have asked the same question, could you give us a name so we know whom we are talking with?

Every year we always have new challenges.......... people do step it up at a Championships event and take on those new challenges that you don't see every weekend.

This year I let people know in advance what the new challenge would be.  As with anything "new" there will always be lively discussion.  I still like that better then having handlers see it for the first time, they got a chance to choose which format they like the best.  A hoop circle with or without being enclosed.

We don't discuss other venues on the NADAC site, so we would appreciate not making any comments that encourage people to compare venues or in any way discredit any other venue.  All venues have great options for their competitors and competitors will chose which ones work the best for them and their dogs.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Foomin Z

« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2016, 09:18:10 AM »
But maybe there would not have been so much disagreement about adding in the hoop circle for this year's champs at such a late stage if it had been listed in the premium ahead of time. There were quite a few people speaking in this forum about NOT stepping it up to your challenge. I did nothing to disagree about it in the first place. I am making an observation, and asking a question. The question was, "Do changes happen to the NADAC champs premium every year after it is published?"

Amanda Nelson

• Fluid Motion Agility
  • Judge
  • Fluid Motion Agility-For the Athlete in Your Dog!
    • Fluid Motion Agility
« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »
Again, please sign your posts. Thank you!
Amanda

But maybe there would not have been so much disagreement about adding in the hoop circle for this year's champs at such a late stage if it had been listed in the premium ahead of time. There were quite a few people speaking in this forum about NOT stepping it up to your challenge. I did nothing to disagree about it in the first place. I am making an observation, and asking a question. The question was, "Do changes happen to the NADAC champs premium every year after it is published?"
Amanda Nelson
Online Classes and Private Lessons available!
--
For the Athlete in Your Dog!
www.fluidmotionagility.com

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »

Yep, every year there are new challenges and we have never posted them in advance.  That is what a Championships event is about, rewarding those teams that can accept a challenge and do it well!  This year we posted in advance.  That is the only reason that there is a discussion.

In past years, everyone has stepped up and attacked the courses presented.  This year is no different.  Every course highlights a NADAC class and X-Hoopers is a NADAC class, therefore should not be a surprise to anyone.  If people have a NADAC class that they do not excel at, then one of their rounds will reflect that weakness in the team.  But looking at the list of entrants, I don't see any that will have any issues.  A great list of competitors that will rise to any challenge presented to them!  A great group of CHAMPIONSHIPS teams!  Very excited to see the runs!

Please sign your posts.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Foomin Z

« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »
Please read your private message. Thanks.

Foomin Z

« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:18 PM »
Yep, every year there are new challenges and we have never posted them in advance.  That is what a Championships event is about, rewarding those teams that can accept a challenge and do it well!  This year we posted in advance.  That is the only reason that there is a discussion.
I did not know there was a surprise element to champs, having never been to one, and not seeing where that was stated in the premium for this year. I am still trying to learn, so I ask questions.

DebbieP

« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »
Hey, Foomin Z

Who are you?  People have been repeatedly asking you to sign your posts (i.e. add a "signature").  We all are trying to learn who each other is online and email nicknames won't usually match up with your name.  See my signature for one example (others do it differently).  Looking forward to meeting you in person!

---Debbie Potter with Dylan and Java Joe
Louisville KY
Debbie in Louisville KY with
Dylan the BC and Java Joe the amped-up All American

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2016, 03:31:54 PM »
Please read your private message. Thanks.

Read and understood.

I do not think that anyone is opposed to any questions you ask, but talking to a "stranger" is not warm and fuzzy to most!!

We have lively discussions and we know whom we are talking to.  No one is offended by questions, they are only offended by the refusal of identity!

You could even make up a name and everyone would feel very differently if they were talking to "someone".

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2016, 03:42:42 PM »
Have to agree....doesn't make me warm and fuzzy at all.

In fact makes me feel a certain level of discomfort....that someone expresses an opinion but chooses to hide their identity. 

You may have valid and good reasons to not want your identity "known"  Gosh there are many ppl out in the world hiding from say abusive ex partners, rotten families etc.... who revealing their identity is quite frightening.  Whatever your reasons you need to understand that ppl will feel discomfort if you express opinions in their "world" (which is for the most part completely known to them) but act "secretive" about who you are.

Shirlene Clark
Australia

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »
I did not know there was a surprise element to champs, having never been to one, and not seeing where that was stated in the premium for this year. I am still trying to learn, so I ask questions.

"Foomin' Z",

There's been a few of us that have written on this thread saying there has been "surprise elements" at Champs every year! It could be said that it's just part of the...um...er...well...charm of Champs.  ;D And, yes, they've been written about after Champs every year. I guess we all just kind of forget it happens until we arrive at the site and the surprise is revealed. Every venue is different, and it's been a rarity that when I go to any national type event that there isn't *something* that is different than written in the premium.  :o

And, honestly, "Foomin'", we won't give you a bad time even if we know your real name. You could be Taylor Swift, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Pee Wee Herman, any old Kardashian (oh, wait, if you are a Kardashian we miiiiight have to give you a hard time, you know, just because...  ;)), the Pope, Weird Al Yankovick, you know, just about anybody....as long as you are kind to your dog and having fun doing agility. But, we've all put our names out there, now it's your turn.  :)

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

whultsma

« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »
You are so funny Kyle!  However, you definitely speak the truth...those who go to Champs...and this is probably my 15th...just expect things to happen...and ..together...the group makes it through...and smile as we sometimes wear our invisible "I survived the NADAC champs challenges! 

It's a fun group that is tons more supportive than anything else!!!

Wendy...in Phoenix, AZ

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2016, 07:43:30 PM »
I attended my first Champs in 2009 in TN. Before I went, people (who knew me well) warned me that I needed to be flexible. Honestly, I was anything but flexible back then and I was so completely miserable that I almost drove home the first day. It was so hot/humid, the arena footing was atrocious at that facility, and I was running a weavers course at 1:00 a.m. The 13 hour drive probably had something to do with me staying, but I did. Ultimately I enjoyed myself, and I kept coming back. The current format of Champs is infinitely better than that of 2009 and things run so much smoother now. I've enjoyed my last three trips to Springfield a great deal. I still tell everyone, though, that you really need to keep an open mind and be ready for anything. While most things are pretty standard, anything is possible.

I think the EGC course in 2013 and the barrelers course in 2015 weren't as big of a "deal" as the hoop circle because people felt like they were on more of an even playing field. The vast majority of competitors hadn't been exposed to such things, and you were also able to do what you needed to do to get through those courses (handling close, no lines, no barriers, etc.). The hoop circle is different because some people have a good deal of experience with them, some people have some familiarity with them, and some have no exposure whatsoever. For those with no exposure, having an obstacle with so many handler limitations can be scary. While it might be considered a "NADAC class," it's not a class that everyone who does NADAC has had an opportunity to play. Last year when the barrels with hoops were put out it was weird, but at least our dogs had been seeing barrels in trials all year long. Running 3 dogs I only picked up 5 faults for a single missed hoop -- a hoop circle could potentially cause a lot more faults than that.

While I know we are not supposed to compare other venues, I went to AKC Nationals for the first time this year. I was amazed at how scheduled and coordinated an event with over 1000 dogs could be, and there were no surprises at all over the 3 days (minus the happy surprise of being allowed to take a toy into the warmup run). I was more relaxed there -- largely because of this structured schedule, but probably also because I was only running one dog (versus the three I've ran at my last three Champs trips).  ;)  That said, the vibe at the events is completely different. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH2/NATCH3 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy & Jedi

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/