Author Topic: Championships courses  (Read 22655 times)

James Bell

• Judge
Re: Championships courses
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2016, 08:51:38 PM »
Hi, group.
   Some people preparing for the hoop circle in champs this year have been working on some seriously tough sequences!  Since this is the first year being used, the challenges won't be beyond Novice challenges.  Next year we will use Open level challenges and in 2018 we will use any level sequence!  For this year there won't be any sends straight through the X pattern away from the handler.  Each wing will be used once and the two bottom hoops will be used in sequence.  The dogs will enter the hoop circle either two or three times and each test will be worth 5 points.
  If you want to practice sequences, practice doing the two hoops at the bottom followed by a wing sequence.  In the champs runs, the two hoops at the top will not be used in a sequence.

Good luck to everyone and don't stress over tough sequences being a part of the hoop circle!  There will be tough sequences elsewhere!!

Have fun and enjoy your dog and your journey!

Sharon
Thanks for the clarification. I had the same question from an "undecided" exhibitor last weekend after she and 15+ others mostly smoked the novice x-hp course I set.

As to the reaction to the course, it was fun, going from trepidation and asking for an extra "briefing" to hoops and hollers 10 min later. The briefing was pretty simple and Douglas Adams-esqe: Don't Panic, look at the course; imagine surveyors tape instead of x-pens and tell me that isn't something you do in chances every trial, a couple of pinwheels behind a handler restriction line; I've watched you guys all day, trust me, you've got this. And they most certainly did. :-)

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

James Bell

LexiBrigante

« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2016, 09:51:12 PM »
I think I am still a little confused how bonus point are given out for the hoop circle. What would a sequence worth the 5 point be on this course map you gave us? Is it each time you enter the circle? Like 5-6 bonus points and then 8-9 bonus points. Or each big chunk of circle stuff like 5-9 is one bonus sequence? Also do you get the bonus points just for doing the correct hoops or does it have to be in flow? For example if my dog went into the hoop circle at 8 and got a little confused where to go so did a spin or two but then came back out the correct number 9 hoop would that still get the 5 bonus points?
Lexi

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2016, 10:43:26 PM »
I think I am still a little confused how bonus point are given out for the hoop circle. What would a sequence worth the 5 point be on this course map you gave us? Is it each time you enter the circle? Like 5-6 bonus points and then 8-9 bonus points. Or each big chunk of circle stuff like 5-9 is one bonus sequence? Also do you get the bonus points just for doing the correct hoops or does it have to be in flow? For example if my dog went into the hoop circle at 8 and got a little confused where to go so did a spin or two but then came back out the correct number 9 hoop would that still get the 5 bonus points?
Lexi

A sequence for a bonus would be 5-9 with no course faults.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »

Thanks for the clarification. I had the same question from an "undecided" exhibitor last weekend after she and 15+ others mostly smoked the novice x-hp course I set.

As to the reaction to the course, it was fun, going from trepidation and asking for an extra "briefing" to hoops and hollers 10 min later. The briefing was pretty simple and Douglas Adams-esqe: Don't Panic, look at the course; imagine surveyors tape instead of x-pens and tell me that isn't something you do in chances every trial, a couple of pinwheels behind a handler restriction line; I've watched you guys all day, trust me, you've got this. And they most certainly did. :-)

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

;D ;D ;D
-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2016, 05:59:45 AM »
Hi Folks,
There always seems to be a flurry of "what if's" and "not fair's" and, and, and, as the date of the Championships draws closer.  Chock it up to nerves or expectations or whatever.  We all want to do well at the Championships.  People have trained, trialed and worked hard to earn the right to be there.  And, of course there is the added stress of entry fees, travel, lodging, meals, etc.
But, let's face it, while some of us may end up in the limelight, no one is going to get rich and famous from attending the Championships.  We do this because we love the sport, enjoy the company of other like minds, hope to highlight our dogs' talents and our skills and to be tested in a Championship environment.

While I would dearly love to join all of you and proudly walk to that start line, it isn't in the cards for me this year.  I have 4 old dogs, with two of them not doing well and I have 3 young dogs under the age of 2 years who certainly aren't ready for a Championships environment.

Please stop and reflect and know that you earned your way to the 2016 NADAC Championships because you are THAT GOOD and because you will proudly walk to the start line each time, knowing you have the best dog ever!

Good luck everyone.  We'll see you in Utah

Becky

Amen to that Becky!  Of the 6 years I attended Champs I cannot tell you who won my jump height or any other jump height.  I don't think it caused a monumental change in anyone's life. 

My dog is always the best because it's my dog.  It's about the relationship you build with your dog.  If running at Champs is going to make you question that relationship than don't go.  Either way it's not the end of the world.

Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek & new addition No Name Yet
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #275 on: August 31, 2016, 08:18:24 AM »
My dog is always the best because it's my dog.  It's about the relationship you build with your dog.  If running at Champs is going to make you question that relationship than don't go.  Either way it's not the end of the world.

Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek & new addition No Name Yet

Perfectly said!  If anyone comes to win and they think less of their dog when they don't, then please do not come to Champs!  It is our task to create courses that test every skill you have, so it is possible that you might have a round or two that causes you some stress or pushes you past a normal limit.  If you blame that on the dog, then this isn't your event!

If you come to have fun and challenge every course to your best ability, then we want to cheer you on!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »
I want to be sure that everyone is clear about the choices they have.  I hope that no one chooses to the have the circle enclosed if they have any doubts!

Yes, having the circle enclosed could give a person a total of 10 bonus points.  But if the dog goes off course because they are unfamiliar with the enclosed circle then the off course is 10 faults, so that wipes out the bonus points!  So if your dog won't follow your commands in the circle then you might be better to be able to be in the exact handling position that your particular dog needs!

We are offering bonus points for those who have those skills but don't go for bonus points if the skills don't match the course setup.  If your dog isn't familiar with the setup, you might run your dog right into an x-pen because of their lack of familiarity with the challenge.

As people has noted, they would love to not have a "weave" focused run if their dog doesn't weave, but there is a weave focused round, even if people don't enter Weavers..  Handlers would love it if there wasn't a contact focused round if they have contact issues.  But there is a contact focused run even if people don't enter Touch N Go.  Some handlers with tall dogs wish there wasn't a tunnel focused round, but there is, even if those handlers don't choose the enter Tunnelers.  Some dogs with jumping issues, the jumpers focused run is hard for them.  Same for the hoop focused run.

The only reason that we are offering a bonus for the X-hoopers run is because some clubs have chosen to not offer all of the NADAC classes in their class offerings, therefore not giving their exhibitors a chance to become proficient in ALL NADAC classes.  For those who have spent their entry money on X-Hoopers and have traveled to support those clubs that offer all NADAC classes and they have the skills for the X-Hoopers class, then they are given the opportunity to earn bonus points in the X-hoopers focused round.  Next year there won't be any bonus points offered in the X-Hoopers run.  This year because it is the first time being run, we are making that first time offer.

Please do not run with an enclosed circle if you think that your inexperienced dog might run into the x-pens.  I have heard of a couple people in practice that have had their dogs run into an x-pen, but they also never introduced their dog to the setup with doing a simple sequence like you would see in Intro.  On weekends one starts in Intro or Novice, not doing Elite tests.

Since this is the first year, we will only test at a Novice level.  But even Novice might be too much if the dog is amped up and not familiar with the hoop circle!

Please don't put your dog in a unsafe situation because of bonus points!

The hoop circle is not unsafe, it is a lack of familiarity that creates an unsafe situation.  Just like dogs that jump in an unsafe manner, or hit weaves in an unsafe manner or launch off a-frames in an unsafe manner.  It is not the obstacle, but the dog's individual behaviors that creates unsafe performances.

If you just ran your dog at a jump with ex-pens on each side and they had never jumped before, they might run into the x-pens instead of jumping or if you ran your dog over an a-frame for the first time with you off to the side and tried to keep him on the ramp with x-pens he might run into them as he jumps off the ramp.  If a dog isn't familiar with an x-pen setup and doesn't know to look for the hoops, they might run into it to get to you.  An x-pen isn't unsafe.  But a dog can perform an unsafe performance if they aren't familiar with the obstacle, just like any other obstacle.  If the handler hasn't prepared the dog for the obstacle, then they are the ones setting the dog up for an unsafe performance.   If you haven't prepared your dog for the situation, then run without the circle enclosed.  An x-pen isn't unsafe, it is a lack of preparation that could make it unsafe.  Make the choice that is right for your dog.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Salli Dulco

« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »
Hi Sharon,

If they enter the hoop circle sequence and go off course in that sequence, AND I allow the dog to continue on, without correcting the sequence from start to finish (the point their path takes them into and then out of the hoop circle) then is it a 20 point fault (in addition to the 10 point off course fault) for failure to complete the obstacle?

And, then if I do correct the off course from start to finish (from the point the course has the dog enter the hoop circle) and the dog is successful in that attempt, then I am just using more time.

Is that correct?

If not, can you please clarify how the hoop circle is judged if the dog goes off course?

Thanks,
Salli Dulco
Salli Dulco

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2016, 11:15:36 AM »
Hi Sharon,

If they enter the hoop circle sequence and go off course in that sequence, AND I allow the dog to continue on, without correcting the sequence from start to finish (the point their path takes them into and then out of the hoop circle) then is it a 20 point fault (in addition to the 10 point off course fault) for failure to complete the obstacle?

**** correct ***

And, then if I do correct the off course from start to finish (from the point the course has the dog enter the hoop circle) and the dog is successful in that attempt, then I am just using more time.

**** no, once you are off course, then the off course faults are there, you can't erase them ***

Is that correct?

If not, can you please clarify how the hoop circle is judged if the dog goes off course?

Thanks,
Salli Dulco
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Salli Dulco

« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2016, 11:58:22 AM »
Thank you.
So as I understand the hoop circle, each hoop in the circle is its own obstacle.

The hoop circle is "not" the obstacle (enclosed with xpens or not).

Salli
Salli Dulco

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #280 on: August 31, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »
Thank you.
So as I understand the hoop circle, each hoop in the circle is its own obstacle.

The hoop circle is "not" the obstacle (enclosed with xpens or not).

Salli

You are correct!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
« Reply #281 on: August 31, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »
 Becky and Gina are both spot on.... EVERYONE is traveling  to Champs with THE BEST dog(s) out there!

My first trip to Champs was back in 2004. Boomer & I travelled to Castle Rock CO and had the time of our lives!! Meeting new friends, watching FABULOUS teams, catching up with old friends and just having FUN was really what Champs was, and hopefully still IS, all about!!!!

Through the years I have had the honor and privilege to play at Champs multiple times with THE BEST dogs ever!! Oh sure, there have been "those runs" that have brought out, shall we say, the "creative juices", but those moments were MY mistakes!

Then there are the runs that still live on in my memory!! Heck, I can still "see" Boomer's first run at Champs, along with his first ever running A Frame!! Typing these words are bringing all those memories back! Boomer, Kruzer, Driven, Rumor and SAMMI CORGI have always given 110%, each and every time we have PLAYED this WONDERFUL GAME of agility!! After all these years of playing, the butterflies still flutter and my heart still skips a beat when I walk to the line!! What a rush!! I wouldn't trade any moments or memories for the world!!

We won't physically be at Champs this year, but please know that I will be cheering for every one of you!! Remember, run fast, early cues, stay connected and hug your dogs!!

Good Luck to one and all! BEDAZZLE YOURSELVES!!!

Bernie, Kruzer, Driven & RUMOR   :D
 At The Bridge...... Boomer & Manny <3 <3
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:21:01 PM by Bernie Doyle »
Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL

Salli Dulco

« Reply #282 on: August 31, 2016, 12:45:52 PM »
Hi Sharon,

I meant to say if you go off course and don't correct the path, you receive 10 for off course, plus the 20 for failure to complete.

But, if you correct the path after going off course , you receive the 10 off course faults plus the time it takes to take the missed obstacle and get back on the correct path.

Is that correct?

Salli
Salli Dulco

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #283 on: August 31, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »
Hi Sharon,

I meant to say if you go off course and don't correct the path, you receive 10 for off course, plus the 20 for failure to complete.

But, if you correct the path after going off course , you receive the 10 off course faults plus the time it takes to take the missed obstacle and get back on the correct path.

Is that correct?

Salli

Yep, you are correct!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

lorriemaxx

« Reply #284 on: August 31, 2016, 07:24:19 PM »
Bernie, 2004 was my first trip too, with my first agility dog.  He just retired this year.  I went for several years, and then life got in the way of traveling long distances, so this will be the first year back.  You made me think about how much I have changed in the intervening years.  My focus has changed from "winning" to having a great relationship and communicating well with my partner.  My current dog really isn't a speed demon like the first one was, so we probably won't be competitive, but since I am a much more consistent handler, she is much more consistent on course than my first one was.

I think that I have always been kind to my dog and nice to others, even when I was in the competitive stage, but let me tell you, the journey is so much more fun when you just think about doing the best that you can with the one you love and you don't worry about anyone else.  If that means 1st place, bonus (!), but it's way more important to enjoy the ride.
Lorrie,
NATCH-13, Versatility NATCH-9, 10K points, Platinum Speed Star Maxx (retired)
and
NATCH-4, Versatility NATCH-3 Flying Pixie Dust "Pixie"