Author Topic: Running orders  (Read 2355 times)

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Running orders
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »
There is only one arena, so it will be one and the same.
I believe I saw somewhere (in the oh-so-many-posts recently!) that there might be two rings set up for pre-Champs to move things along. 

Stalls will be available for pre-Champs as well. There really isn't any place to set up any shade tent.

diane

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »
There is only one arena, so it will be one and the same.
I believe I saw somewhere (in the oh-so-many-posts recently!) that there might be two rings set up for pre-Champs to move things along. 

Stalls will be available for pre-Champs as well. There really isn't any place to set up any shade tent.

diane

Thanks, Diane, perfect!

No one is allowed to set up any kind of tent.

See everyone there!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Helen Z

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 08:06:47 AM »
Its so exciting to read about groupings, run orders, and the hoop circle in the warm up area.  I am beginning to FEEL the incredible vibe of Champs as I start envisioning the details.    Will there be an 8' A-Frame in the warm up area?  Dev and Lil

I don't see an answer to this question.  My dogs never see an 8' A-frame.  I saw a dog face-plant in 2014.  Will we be able to have them try it out before they're running full tilt, just to get their bearings?

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »
Its so exciting to read about groupings, run orders, and the hoop circle in the warm up area.  I am beginning to FEEL the incredible vibe of Champs as I start envisioning the details.    Will there be an 8' A-Frame in the warm up area?  Dev and Lil

I don't see an answer to this question.  My dogs never see an 8' A-frame.  I saw a dog face-plant in 2014.  Will we be able to have them try it out before they're running full tilt, just to get their bearings?

We do not put an A-frame in the warm up area.  We only take one with us and it is in the main arena.  It will be used on Tues-Wed for the pre-champs runs.

I do see dogs occasionally face plant on any a-frame, including the ones that the dog sees at every trial.  I wouldn't blame it in the a-frame lengths.  Sometimes dogs just misstep.

We saw more issues when the a-frame was in the warm up area and dogs would just "pop up" over the top of the ring fence and the dog running in the ring would startle or react.  Also the thud that so many dogs create when they launch themselves onto the a-frame is very distracting when another dog is running the course.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

MoabDiane

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
Helen Z and anyone else concerned:

I have a speedy dog who sees both 8' and 9' A-frames (mine at home is 9'), and he's *supposed* to have a 2o/2o (though it has morphed into a 4o...which is fine with me!).
Because he's had shoulder issues in the past (hopefully completely healed now!), I don't want him slamming into the A-frame at any height.
So, I'm giving him a quiet (or louder, depending!) 'WAIT' command before he launches onto it.
It doesn't completely stop him, but slows him down enough that he can assess the surface before he hits it.

Even though one judge thought maybe I was worrying about the 'up' contact for another venue....not!!

My younger dog who has a lovely running A-frame doesn't seem to have a problem switching between the 2 heights - though the first performance of a week/weekend, I do watch her carefully, and sometimes will give her a 'wait' as well just to be sure she's not going to catch air over the top.  She does adjust her stride going down pretty well.

May your dog do well and have fun!
diane

Sharon, AZ

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 11:36:48 AM »
Helen Z and anyone else concerned:

I have a speedy dog who sees both 8' and 9' A-frames (mine at home is 9'), and he's *supposed* to have a 2o/2o (though it has morphed into a 4o...which is fine with me!).
Because he's had shoulder issues in the past (hopefully completely healed now!), I don't want him slamming into the A-frame at any height.
So, I'm giving him a quiet (or louder, depending!) 'WAIT' command before he launches onto it.
It doesn't completely stop him, but slows him down enough that he can assess the surface before he hits it.

Even though one judge thought maybe I was worrying about the 'up' contact for another venue....not!!

My younger dog who has a lovely running A-frame doesn't seem to have a problem switching between the 2 heights - though the first performance of a week/weekend, I do watch her carefully, and sometimes will give her a 'wait' as well just to be sure she's not going to catch air over the top.  She does adjust her stride going down pretty well.

May your dog do well and have fun!
diane

What do we run at trials ... 5 1/2 (Height)?  Is the A-Frame at Champs different?
Sharon, AZ

MoabDiane

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
Depends on your trial/club.  Most clubs that do venues other than NADAC, and many that do NADAC exclusively, use 9' ramps.

For a 9' ramp, the height at the apex is 5'.
For an 8' ramp, it is at 4'8".  This is the height that the A-frame will be at Champs.

diane

Billie Rosen

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 06:12:50 PM »
In watching dogs at Champs year after year, I have never really noticed a difference in performance with the 8' ramps.  Most dogs do the A-frame they way I would expect they do them all the time.  Initially I thought my dogs and others that were taught a striding pattern over the A-frame would be affected by the shorter ramps, but they never have seemed to be.  If you stress about it, that might affect our dog's performance since dogs read our stress so well, so just relax and let the dogs do their jobs.
Billie Rosen    agilek9s@q.com
Kruz'n (Border Terrier)  NATCH 28, Vers. NATCH 14
Klev'r (Border Terrier)  NATCH 11, Vers. NATCH 9
Book'n (Border Terrier)  working on 1st NATCH

Helen Z

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 08:47:32 PM »
In watching dogs at Champs year after year, I have never really noticed a difference in performance with the 8' ramps.  Most dogs do the A-frame they way I would expect they do them all the time.  Initially I thought my dogs and others that were taught a striding pattern over the A-frame would be affected by the shorter ramps, but they never have seemed to be.  If you stress about it, that might affect our dog's performance since dogs read our stress so well, so just relax and let the dogs do their jobs.

Billie, I think there's a huge difference between your Border Terriers' A-frame and Mojo's.  I feel somewhat confident with his 2o2o he won't have a problem but not completely confident.  We NEVER use an 8' frame, not even at our NADAC hosted trials.  The picture of Ken's girl's face plant is etched in my memory.  Thank God she didn't break her neck.  One, I don't get why there's two different heights used in different areas or two, why a practice 8' frame couldn't be brought along so that dogs who never see one have a chance to practice on it prior to hitting it at a full run, which as you well know with Mo, is very fast.  This is a competition after all, so dogs who are used to running that height and aren't being screamed at to wait are going to have a much faster frame.   Aren't we being timed? 
Will Rogers

Billie Rosen

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »
Helen, I know that NADAC has used the 8' A-frame at Champs for quite a few years, this is definitely not a new thing.  All I can say is that I have seen many, many very fast dogs, some of whom I am sure have never seen an 8' A-frame before, perform it fine.  I certainly can't predict how your dogs are going to take it, but most dogs just seem to deal with it with no issues.  Sharon did say that they are going to have the 8' A-frame in Pre-Champs so there is your opportunity to try it out before the fun begins in earnest.
Billie Rosen    agilek9s@q.com
Kruz'n (Border Terrier)  NATCH 28, Vers. NATCH 14
Klev'r (Border Terrier)  NATCH 11, Vers. NATCH 9
Book'n (Border Terrier)  working on 1st NATCH

Helen Z

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 09:18:49 PM »
Helen, I know that NADAC has used the 8' A-frame at Champs for quite a few years, this is definitely not a new thing.  All I can say is that I have seen many, many very fast dogs, some of whom I am sure have never seen an 8' A-frame before, perform it fine.  I certainly can't predict how your dogs are going to take it, but most dogs just seem to deal with it with no issues.  Sharon did say that they are going to have the 8' A-frame in Pre-Champs so there is your opportunity to try it out before the fun begins in earnest.

Nope.  I'm not doing Pre-Champs.  I can't afford to come for the whole week.  :(  I guess I'll just have to hold my breath and get a higher time score holding them back.
Will Rogers

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »
  I feel somewhat confident with his 2o2o he won't have a problem but not completely confident.  We NEVER use an 8' frame, not even at our NADAC hosted trials.  The picture of Ken's girl's face plant is etched in my memory.  Thank God she didn't break her neck.  One, I don't get why there's two different heights used in different areas or two, why a practice 8' frame couldn't be brought along so that dogs who never see one have a chance to practice on it prior to hitting it at a full run, which as you well know with Mo, is very fast.  This is a competition after all, so dogs who are used to running that height and aren't being screamed at to wait are going to have a much faster frame.   Aren't we being timed?

Excuse me, Helen, but Ken's dog face planted on a dog walk ramp, not an a-frame.  Also you ran your dog, quite beautifully in fact, over the 8' a-frame used in the 2014 Championships with no problems.  You also ran on 8' a-frame ramps at the Las Vegas funraisers with no problems.

I personally think that you and your dog are going to do great, but I understand if you are less positive than I am.  It is a big event and people get nervous.  I don't even worry about who is in my class or how fast they will be, it is about going out and having the best time I can with my dog versus the course.  If I can run that course to the best of my ability then I am happy!

Sharon
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:30:53 AM by Sharon Nelson »
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 12:20:06 AM »

Hey Helen,
Just a note that the a-frame used in both Boulder City and the Norco trials was a 8 footer :)     

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 12:44:27 AM »

Yep!  We have used an 8" a-frame for 11 years at champs......... this will be our 12th year using them.  Big dogs, little dogs, slow dogs, fast dogs..........

Here is a video from 2006 showing the 8' a-frame, which was the second year we used them.  And also at 30-40 funraisers a year, thousands of dogs over them!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Helen Z

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2016, 07:37:16 AM »
Seriously, Chris?   Then NO PROBLEM,   I did not know that.  I thought you had standard A-Frames.  I stand corrected, and no need for practice for my pups!

As for Ken, his dogs had two incidents.  I think it was two different dogs.  One was the face plant on the frame, which was explained to me due to how fast she took it in combination with the 8' she wasn't used to.  The dog walk was a crash into the side due to the angle of entry.  I'd forgotten all about that!  As I recall, the  course was modified to remove that sharp turn before the rest of the dogs ran.   Again, thank God his dogs didn't have any permanent or serious injury. 

Hey Helen,
Just a note that the a-frame used in both Boulder City and the Norco trials was a 8 footer :)     
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:40:00 AM by Helen Z »
Will Rogers