Author Topic: Running orders  (Read 2346 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: Running orders
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 08:45:13 AM »
Seriously, Chris?   Then NO PROBLEM,   I did not know that.  I thought you had standard A-Frames.  I stand corrected, and no need for practice for my pups!

As for Ken, his dogs had two incidents.  I think it was two different dogs.  One was the face plant on the frame, which was explained to me due to how fast she took it in combination with the 8' she wasn't used to.  The dog walk was a crash into the side due to the angle of entry.  I'd forgotten all about that!  As I recall, the  course was modified to remove that sharp turn before the rest of the dogs ran.   Again, thank God his dogs didn't have any permanent or serious injury. 

Hey Helen,
Just a note that the a-frame used in both Boulder City and the Norco trials was a 8 footer :)   

I think it is improper to continue to name names when that person is not on this list. 

Many people own dogs that show specific behaviors of possibly being a bit reckless then one can't be shocked if that same bit of "over the top" shows up in a high amped trial such as a Championships.

We do have an occasional incident of a dog running in a reckless manner at Championships, as they go over the top with the addition of the people in the stands, the PA system, the very loud cheering and clapping.  We hate to see it and wish all dogs would stay calm, but that is also hard when the handlers are driving hard to get the fastest times.  So yes, there have been and will be incidences of dogs that cannot handle the increased tension at a championships event.  Happens to people in sports all the time and happens to dogs.  We see dogs that do great on weekends and never hit a single contact at champs!  Dogs that can handle the environment of champs and perform even better than on an average weekend will excel at champs............ that is what makes most champions.... for the handler and dog to RISE to the challenge, not shrink away from it or find negatives.

Most people see Championships as one of the most fun weekends of their lives!  They love the camaraderie and embrace all of the challenges.  They don't ever see anything as "fair or unfair".  They train their dogs and expect to be pushed to a new height of competition.   Most come to have fun with their dogs and enjoy an awesome week.  And yes, a few come "to win"....... sometimes they win and most times they don't.   There might be 20-50 dogs in a class........... and only one will be the "winner" on the score board, but most of the people know that they have a winner no matter what!  They love the thrill of running with their amazing partner in this great sport.

Let's hope that this year everyone has the best runs of their lives and that there are no dogs that act in a reckless manner and risk potential injury.  Speed is awesome, but speed must be regulated by a thinking dog.  As Chris' motto says "go faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"......... that works great in people, but not so much in dogs, as they rarely fear death when speed is involved and will push themselves past a safe threshold!

I hope people do have the fastest and safest runs ever this September!  Good luck to everyone!  And if you see your dog get past a point of thinking reasonably due to excess speed, slow them down a bit rather than take a risk of hurting them.  We are the ones responsible for our dogs and we know them best and should know when they are losing their wonderful little minds!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

agilityaddict2

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
Any idea when the run orders will be sent out?

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 12:43:14 PM »
Any idea when the run orders will be sent out?

As soon as I have enough answers to the "circle enclosed or not" so that the numbers won't change dramatically at the event.

Might be tomorrow and it might be the middle of September!  Just depends upon people and their responses.

Right now I have 162 responses out of 275.  160 with the circle enclosed and 2 with the circle open.  Either answer is great and I really, really appreciate those who know for sure what they want and let me know.  If you don't know then it is okay to wait.  Those who never respond will have the circle open with no x-pens.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 09:58:55 PM »
Thank you Sharon for all your work on this. 

If I remember correctly, this is the first time (in the West) that we will see an approx. run order prior to arriving at Champs. Simply know the day prior is nice, especially if you are one of the first 20 or so.  It helps one plan that early morning "potty" walk and warm up time.  Thanks again.   :)
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys..TJ and Monte

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »
Thank you Sharon for all your work on this. 

If I remember correctly, this is the first time (in the West) that we will see an approx. run order prior to arriving at Champs. Simply know the day prior is nice, especially if you are one of the first 20 or so.  It helps one plan that early morning "potty" walk and warm up time.  Thanks again.   :)

Thanks, Karen!

I think I will be able to get it to you early!  I have over 200 responses so far with five wanting an open circle.  So it appears that the run order will have minimal changes, unless everyone who hasn't responded all say no and then the run order will change a bit more!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility