Author Topic: Illinois fairgrounds  (Read 6525 times)

Amy McGovern

Illinois fairgrounds
« on: October 19, 2016, 06:00:54 PM »
Sharon,

Linda McDougal posted this on Facebook today (but can't post here right now so she asked me to share it).  The building for champs looks to be in trouble :(  We wanted to make sure you knew in case it affects champs next year as lots of us are very excited that it is going back to Illinois!

http://farmprogress.com/story-illinois-state-fairgrounds-coliseum-condemned-9-148156
Amy and the schnauzers

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
Re: Illinois fairgrounds
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »
The State Fair is Aug 10-20.  Maybe that will inspire them to get the job done and we'll be fine!!!
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:09:06 PM »
Sharon,

Linda McDougal posted this on Facebook today (but can't post here right now so she asked me to share it).  The building for champs looks to be in trouble :(  We wanted to make sure you knew in case it affects champs next year as lots of us are very excited that it is going back to Illinois!

http://farmprogress.com/story-illinois-state-fairgrounds-coliseum-condemned-9-148156

Yes, thanks!  I love the NADAC community, as I got this almost immediately!  I really want to thank you for helping!

We called them immediately to let them know we want our huge deposit back and of course, they won't do that.  We used to put down $500 for a reservation deposit, but last year they wanted 10 times that in order to get dates.  We love that site, but they nickel and dime us worse than any site we have ever had championships.  We pay $14 an hour to have toilet paper in the potties!  And we can't do it ourselves as we aren't union.

It doesn't look like they take any of the funds and use it for maintenance!  The building hasn't had any maintenance on the coliseum since 1958.

I hope they get it repaired, but I don't actual expect that to happen unless they get a huge donation for an outside source.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Amy McGovern

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:42:17 AM »
Hopefully you can find a good backup spot!  I know a lot of midwest people are planning on champs given its location so hopefully a backup location is also mid-west?
Amy and the schnauzers

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:56:13 AM »
Hopefully you can find a good backup spot!  I know a lot of midwest people are planning on champs given its location so hopefully a backup location is also mid-west?

Both Indiana (Indianapolis) and Wisconsin have really nice facilities.  I don't know about the surface at the one in Indianapolis, but they do a lot of horse shows there, so I would assume it is pretty good.  From what I remember, Indiana Fairgrounds is very similar in setup to the one in Illinois in that it has the main Coloseum and lots of small building around it.  There is a building with horse stalls right next to it.  I have never been to the Wisconsin facility, but they hold a HUGE fair there every year, so I would assume it is similar.
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 12:27:45 PM »
The Champions Center in Springfield OH is very nice as well-  big arena with attached stalls, outdoor covered pavilion and plenty of RV hookups.

Mary P.

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 01:59:12 PM »
Hopefully, if you do have to move the location it wont go too much further west - lots of people from the east coast are planning on coming and personally, I already put myself in trouble at work (bc I'm  union and a teacher) by taking 5 school days off (which is against my union contract ) can't take more time to drive further west...

Hopefully everything will work out for the best - sites closer east would be great too :) 
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »
Garrett Coliseum in Montgomery, Alabama, is really nice as well.  There are horse barns with stalls near the main building with other buildings that would work for crating.  The Southeast Livestock Championship Rodeo is held there every year as well as the Alabama National Fair.  Lots of livestock exhibits during the fair.  There is also a huge AKC confirmation dog show held there, however, their flooring is solid.  The rodeo, tractor pulls, monster truck shows, etc., are on dirt as would be the agility set ups.  Lots of crating space in the Coliseum as well as indoor bathrooms.  They have RV hook ups, but I am not sure if they are full service or not.  We would LOVE to have Champs come to Alabama.   

Sara
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane, Mac, Blaze, & Rocket

danforth

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
Ohio would be great for us.

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Tucker2010

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 09:04:05 PM »
Gillette Wy. We had champs there and loved it. Great camping and showers.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 09:21:30 PM »
Gillette Wy. We had champs there and loved it. Great camping and showers.

Gillette is not easterly enough!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Heidi Konesko

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 09:47:39 AM »
Someone else also recommended Springfield, OH as a site to consider.
-Heidi
Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Molly and Sophie at the Bridge

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 04:21:59 PM »
as much as I dislike Tulsa, what about the State Fairgrounds there?  That's where they held AKC Nationals a few times.

I'd go for Ohio, too!!  :)
Lorrie Stelz

Kaiden: NATCH 10, VersNATCH 8 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye MX MXJ MXF O-HP-E XBR-E IT HIC HOF
Tripp: NATCH 4, VersNATCH 3, All Around NATCH BB's Embrace The Journey HIT HIC HOF
& ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 VersNATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF

Amy McGovern

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 09:09:19 AM »
Are the Kansas state fairgrounds too small?  The Hutch/Don Cuda Memorial trial was very nice and the location seems good.  Chris ran the trial since it was a fundraiser and he might know if it was big enough?
Amy and the schnauzers

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 10:02:10 AM »
Are the Kansas state fairgrounds too small?  The Hutch/Don Cuda Memorial trial was very nice and the location seems good.  Chris ran the trial since it was a fundraiser and he might know if it was big enough?
No not quite.   The ring is a little too small, not by much.   But mainly the facilities.   People have gotten spoiled with raised seating and all the other things that go along with Springfield and Salt Lake.  But I could always be wrong!