Author Topic: past Champs  (Read 2510 times)

Vicki Storrs

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: past Champs
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »
Been home with a cold, am missing a trial today (boo) so thought I'd offer my 2 cents.
I'm NOT a long time Champs attendee.  But I remember this (Champs locations) was discussed a number of years ago when we were still on the yahoo list.  I seem to recall the one NADAC foray to the East Coast was described as NOT a good experience. 
And Champs requirements for a venue are very specific...and very different than what is needed for a regular trial or even, as I understand it, from what other organizations need for their Championships.  So just because there have been events held somewhere does not mean the site would work for Champs.  So finding a site with the footing, the arena size, the countless other requirements or desires NADAC has, plus the open dates AND affordability can be limiting.  And there has often been discussion about the venues on the yahoo list and the forum.  Sites change, footing changes, arenas are condemned (!), things that worked once may not stay that way.  I don't know what NADAC or the participants liked about certain places.  I know I enjoyed Springfield, the fairgrounds/arena (especially with the sun problem fixed)/stable area were all nice enough.  Certainly of lesser importance, but definitely contributing to the overall feeling I carried home with me, the very nice food vendor employees at the arena and at the motel where I stayed helped make it a pleasant week.  Columbus will be a much shorter drive (I'm East Coast) but a bit of an unknown otherwise.  What I feel I CAN count on will be the wonderful atmosphere that the NADAC crew--staff and volunteers--provide and the friendliness of most of the people there with their teammates (not calling them competitors  because i don't like to think of them that way!).  So I expect to have a good time.
And of course we ALL want it to be as close to US as possible, don't we??!!  But being realistic, here's my (So very not official!) take on it.  The fact of the matter is, the first and most important thing, I would think, Champs needs to be, if not a financial "success," at LEAST a break even event for NADAC.  Which means a full entry--the venue and most of the other expenses are going to stay the same whether there are 5 or 500 entries.  And they increase that likelihood by keeping things more towards the middle.  The UT/WY events will draw from the West Coast and much of the Central US. The TN/IL/OH will pull from the  East Coast and, again, much of the Central US. The farther away they go from the middle (say CA, FL, MA) they lose the "middle people" without picking up as many from the "other side" because it becomes Ocean.  I just picture a big circle drawn around the Champs location, figuring many of the NADAC people within the circle (lucky folks!) will be trying to attend Champs and with the possible percentage of attenders decreasing as you move away from the circle, but still drawing SOME (we have people from VA/MD/WV who go or have gone to Utah--a very small percentage but still).  But draw that circle around Boston, or the Florida panhandle, and you can see how you lose possible entrants.  The number of NADAC agility people available within, say, a one or two day drive drops dramatically.
In the very early days (Olympia) NADAC was in it's infancy and I believe the original base was with Sharon out west, so Olympia would work then (and I bet it was a BLAST!).
Just my own opinions...
Vicki
Vicki Storrs

Foomin Z

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
Another way to make things affordable is to be much more flexible in the kind of site "required" for champs. A giant indoor dirt horse arena is not really required to do agility. It's just a nice thing. People have just as much fun outdoors on grass without stadium seating at so many other trials. If the atmosphere of the people is the #1 positive aspect, physical things should not matter, as in general life.

Cindy

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 02:09:10 PM »
In the very early days (Olympia) NADAC was in it's infancy and I believe the original base was with Sharon out west, so Olympia would work then (and I bet it was a BLAST!).
Just my own opinions...
Vicki

You are right, Vicki, the Olympia Champs were a BLAST!!  Those are the only two I've been to for various dog and non dog reasons, and I know they've become bigger and fancier and probably better, but in my mind, nothing can top the early days of NADAC, Champs included!  Lots of good memories from those days.

Cindy and the Beagles

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 02:50:02 PM »
Another way to make things affordable is to be much more flexible in the kind of site "required" for champs. A giant indoor dirt horse arena is not really required to do agility. It's just a nice thing. People have just as much fun outdoors on grass without stadium seating at so many other trials. If the atmosphere of the people is the #1 positive aspect, physical things should not matter, as in general life.

We do not take any chances that our competitors will outside in the rain, or wind, or excessive heat during Championships.  A regular weekend, they take their chances with weather, we do not take that risk with Championships.   Outside is great if the weather is great, if Mother Nature dumps on you that week, not so great.  People put a lot of time and effort to qualify and prepare to have an amazing week at Champs.  We take the weather element out as one of the possible down sides.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
And, though I realize it certainly wouldn't qualify as THE reason to have Champs in an arena with stadium seating, one of my FAVORITE things at Champs is sitting up in the stands, sometimes with old friends but just as often with somebody new, with this GREAT view of the ring and the course and the teams as they run!!  It's just such a good perpective, you see so much more of what's going on--Being awed by great runs (or runs that have great parts), learning, appreciating teamwork, hearing the tidbits from the announcer about people and their dogs as they run, getting to finally put faces with names we've seen on the forum of people from other parts of the country and getting to clap and cheer and whoop as they finish their runs.  SO different from a regular weekend, just like the courses are!!  I don't know if I could get excited enough to drive two days to Springfield for "just a regular trial."  But ALL the special things that happen and challenges that the courses throw at us, THAT makes it worth the drive and the motel bill and the early mornings and late nights. And it's not like I go with big plans or even hopes of winning--but I do enjoy the successes my dogs and I have had by MY definition of success!  And we have FUN! 
Vicki
Vicki Storrs