Author Topic: Possible 2017 Western Regional  (Read 2228 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Possible 2017 Western Regional
« on: April 24, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
Several people have been asking and Chris and I are discussing the option of a Western Regional Oct. 10-15 for those from the west coast that can't make it to the Ohio Championships.  Chris is hosting the Championships in Ohio and I would host the Western Regional in ?????.  I am looking at Reno, NV, Phoenix, AZ and Southern CA right now.  Open for input, but those are about the only dates that work for me.  Location is open.

Not set yet and I am looking at several locations, but it is in the discussion stage right now.  Nothing in concrete!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Deni

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Possible 2017 Western Regional
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:04:05 PM »
Those of us in West planning to go to Champs might opt for a closer Regional instead. Of course it would depend on specifics, but with dates that close to Champs it would be difficult decision.

Denise
Denise

danforth

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:14:22 PM »
Sharon,

Does thirteen that you will not be at Champs in Ohio?  Cocoa and I were looking forward to meeting you in person.

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

danforth

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »
oops.  should be this, not thirteen.

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

MoabDiane

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
Just a question (and not a complaint!) - based on my (gulp) "other venue" knowledge, a Regional competition is usually a step towards a national competition. 
Would this be a "separate but equal" kind of competition?  Or something different?  Or simply a "bigger than usual weekend" event for those unable to travel to the national/international one?

Another venue (in which I do NOT participate) actually awards something like a Western Champion and an Eastern Champion (and because I've never gone, that may not be quite right....).
That always seemed kinda weird to me.  I *totally* get the idea that not everyone can spend days (or bucks) traveling long distances.  But that, to me, means there is no national champion.
Just....well, different.

Following!

diane

Peter Vogel

• Judge
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 08:49:44 PM »
I love the idea!!!  I hate miss Champs (I've been to the last 5) but Ohio is such a long drive.  If you hold a Western Regional, I will be there!
Peter Vogel

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
Just a question (and not a complaint!) - based on my (gulp) "other venue" knowledge, a Regional competition is usually a step towards a national competition. 
Would this be a "separate but equal" kind of competition?  Or something different?  Or simply a "bigger than usual weekend" event for those unable to travel to the national/international one?

Another venue (in which I do NOT participate) actually awards something like a Western Champion and an Eastern Champion (and because I've never gone, that may not be quite right....).
That always seemed kinda weird to me.  I *totally* get the idea that not everyone can spend days (or bucks) traveling long distances.  But that, to me, means there is no national champion.
Just....well, different.

Following!

diane

That is a perfect description:

simply a "bigger than usual weekend" event for those unable to travel to the national/international one?

it would not be another champs event.  It would be a fun 4 day weekend together with the social perks!

Sharon

Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 09:13:07 PM »
Those of us in West planning to go to Champs might opt for a closer Regional instead. Of course it would depend on specifics, but with dates that close to Champs it would be difficult decision.

Denise

I would think it is a no-brainer!!  Go to Champs!!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Foomin Z

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 09:53:05 PM »
So in 2018 you will reciprocate and offer "eastern regional," right?

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 09:57:31 PM »
So in 2018 you will reciprocate and offer "eastern regional," right?

Correct!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

giddyup

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 10:23:59 PM »
Will the "eastern Regional" actually be in the EAST?  Like NOT Illinois or Ohio?  Like actually East?  MA, NY, PA, etc?

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 11:11:42 PM »
Will the "eastern Regional" actually be in the EAST?  Like NOT Illinois or Ohio?  Like actually East?  MA, NY, PA, etc?

I am not sure I understand the negativity, but yes.   Nevada is not on the west "coast" but western people are eager for Nevada.  Ohio is one state from the east coast. (6 hours from Baltimore).

There are great sites in Georgia also, which is very easterly.  There is certainly time to have some great positive discussions on locations!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »
I think at least half of the US would consider Ohio to be east.  I live in Minnesota and this years champs would be an 11 1/2 hour drive for me.  The geographical center of the US is Lebanon, KS .... west of where I live.  Then there's also north and south which adds distance.  Gillette is not west to people who live in Nevada either, but it's west to most of us.  I think the general gist is to try to make it more central east and central west so that you might attract not only the coastal folks.

Gina Pizzo
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »
I think at least half of the US would consider Ohio to be east.  I live in Minnesota and this years champs would be an 11 1/2 hour drive for me.  The geographical center of the US is Lebanon, KS .... west of where I live.  Then there's also north and south which adds distance.  Gillette is not west to people who live in Nevada either, but it's west to most of us.  I think the general gist is to try to make it more central east and central west so that you might attract not only the coastal folks.

Gina Pizzo
Just my 2 cents worth - I live in Virginia, definitely EAST.  I have driven to Utah twice because I wanted to go to Champs!  I saved all year to be able to afford it and it was important enough to me to make the trip.  I am thrilled Champs will be in Ohio this year, but I will again drive to Gillett if I have dogs eligible.  I have to agree with Diane that we either have Regionals and Champs or Champs with a great long weekend.  It doesn't make sense to me to try to have both.  I appreciate Sharon's effort to try to have something for everyone and maybe some people might be able to do both.
Linda & the Daxes
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Rsquared

• Scooter's Mom
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 08:41:21 AM »
Sounds like fun (assuming that I have dogs who are still running).
Ronni in San Diego with Scooter, Ollie & Xtra Crispy (R.I.P. Sage)