Author Topic: Using the new SCTs  (Read 727 times)

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Using the new SCTs
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:42:38 AM »
I had a little spreadsheet that did the percentage multiplier (1.1, 1.2, 1.25, 1.3) to get different heights and divisions.

This is just a sanity check before I set and run the course.  The Weavers course for 0811-Lemonade has 11 obstacles.  There are 4 tunnels on the course but one is taken 2x.  So I get 119 yards for the course.  The spreadsheet then gives me a time of 38.68 for Elite Skilled VH with dog jumping 4".  I take 119 / 2 yes and get 59.5 sec for SCT.

Is this about what was intended?  I didn't expect small vet skilled to have this much more time.  I'll take it <grin>, but just want to make sure I am calculating correctly.

Bella, Buddy, and Walker (circle them wagons, guy! , i.e. tunnels, weaves, jumps, ...)
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • Agility Gypsy
Re: Using the new SCTs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:50:11 AM »
You are correct!  Woohoo!!!
Marj Vincent
Volt, Scotty & Java

Life's motto: "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!"

Foomin Z

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
I had a little spreadsheet that did the percentage multiplier (1.1, 1.2, 1.25, 1.3) to get different heights and divisions.

So I get 119 yards for the course.  The spreadsheet then gives me a time of 38.68 for Elite Skilled VH with dog jumping 4".  I take 119 / 2 yes and get 59.5 sec for SCT.

Are you saying the old time was 38 and the new one is 59? I am confused.

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »
Yes.  Dogs jumping 4" got a big time increase (to me, anyway).
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

BeckyAH

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »
I noticed the huge time increase for the 4 and 8" dogs.   I am not complaining.   I've managed to get fast enough to make elite times across the board, but only with being *very* strategic about when I enter some of the faster games and what else I run before then. Worrying less is nice.

Much more importantly  I've watched some of the smaller dogs (in 8" and especially 4") really run their little legs off and just not make it.  I really, really, think this will encourage people with smaller dogs to get into, and STAY IN, NADAC.   Less frustration and discouragement will be a good thing, I think.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:59:15 PM by BeckyAH »

Foomin Z

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »
Much more importantly  I've watched some of the smaller dogs (in 8" and especially 4") really run their little legs off and just not make it. 
Yeah, my Cardi at her peak performance years ago was unable to make time in open touch n go, and elite weavers and tunnelers. I stopped entering NADAC for three years after wasting so much money and time. She had lots of agility fun elsewhere.

BeckyAH

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
Yeah, my Cardi at her peak performance years ago was unable to make time in open touch n go, and elite weavers and tunnelers. I stopped entering NADAC for three years after wasting so much money and time. She had lots of agility fun elsewhere.

Elite tunnelers and elite jumpers were my personal challenges.   I could do it, and do it with time to spare -  If I was careful bout when I ran them (tunnelers at the end of a trial? No.)   Any other way and there were going to be time faults.   Better lines helped, and so did some various training and conditioning things - before those, no way.

Courses are long.  She is little.  5 strides - with extension - between obstacles means she's running MORE to cover the ground than my 16" dog (who takes 2, occasionally 3 strides between them).  She gets tired.   Being able to go really really fast toward the end of a day doing other things was not going to happen. So there have been things I didn't enter in order to get those Qs.    I feel like I don't have to worry  about that now and can stop playing silly games with my entries instead of just... running the course.

It's nice.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:21:15 AM by BeckyAH »

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
I noticed the huge time increase for the 4 and 8" dogs.   I am not complaining.   I've managed to get fast enough to make elite times across the board, but only with being *very* strategic about when I enter some of the faster games and what else I run before then. Worrying less is nice.

Much more importantly  I've watched some of the smaller dogs (in 8" and especially 4") really run their little legs off and just not make it.  I really, really, think this will encourage people with smaller dogs to get into, and STAY IN, NADAC.   Less frustration and discouragement will be a good thing, I think.

I am the same way.  My cattledog had a difficult time making time in elite weavers.  If it wasn't run on a Saturday of a 2 day trial, I simply wouldn't do it because she there was no hope of her making time.  I MIGHT try it if it was first thing on a Sunday, but never after that.  She isn't a speedy dog and she doesn't walk through the course either, but is very steady.  She easily makes time in everything else but she was just cooked by the end of the day on Sunday (when a lot of people have weavers because it is easy to put away) and it took too much brain power for her to do it.   And without super fast weaves, she just wouldn't make time.  I was happy to see the vets getting more time in the last change and even happier that those small dogs get more time now as well.  My other dog is little.  As he is now 9, I can now see where towards the end of a weekend, he does slow down a bit at the end of a longer course.  He still easily makes time because he is still fast, but I can see where this is an issue with other small dogs as well. 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso