Author Topic: Champs Pre-Elite/Elite Day Format  (Read 1554 times)

Champs Pre-Elite/Elite Day Format
« on: March 23, 2018, 07:35:58 AM »
I am new to NADAC agility, so forgive me in advance. I qualified for Pre-Elite Champs. Does Pre-Elite only compete on Tuesday and Wednesday? OR does everyone (Elite and Pre-Elite) compete on Tuesday and Wednesday in an effort to qualify in the top percent in order to progress to the rest. Or is it only Elite that progresses to the latter days of competition. If you need to rank in the top percentage, do you then compete in all runs or only of the specific ones you placed in the top percentage of (IE: only weavers or jumpers). I am trying to understand the length of commitment and process.

Lynne Almeida

• Trial Secretary
    • Owner - Spellbinder Books
Re: Champs Pre-Elite/Elite Day Format
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
Congratulations on qualifying!  Pre-Elite runs Thurs-Sun and has 8 rounds, just like Elite.  The Pre-Elite (and Double-Digit) dogs generally run a slightly shorter/simplified version of the Elite dogs' course.  What you might find helpful is to go to the Champs page on the NADAC web site, and scroll down to the bottom, where you will see links for the courses for all the rounds at last year's Championships.  You can look at the Pre-Elite and Elite courses and see how they differ from one another and get an idea of what to expect.  All dogs entered in the event do the first seven rounds, each of which is a 'regular' course but with a particular focus: one might have more jumps, or weaves, or tunnels, etc.  Then, the top third, score-wise, of each group will progress to the finals round - ie. Sunday's second round.

The Pre-Champs classes on Tues and Wed will be classes just like you'd see at a regular trial and are not mandatory to attend - there will be a separate entry form for them appearing shortly I am sure.  Some folks like to enter all of everything, some have work or other constraints and just do the Championships portion, etc.  I would say that if it's your first Championships, it would be great if you are able to enter a couple pre-champs classes if you can - it's a nice opportunity for your dog (and you!) to get a little used to the venue.

I have only been a couple times but have found it really fun!  Of course I was initially nervous as all get out ... but an experience that was still totally worth it and I hope I'm able to go this year.  Good luck and I hope to see you there!
work it ... own it ... believe it!

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 09:49:23 AM »
I went to Champs for the first time this past fall.  I entered one pre-champs class each day just to get used to the venue.   we actually entered open. rather than elite tunnelers just to take pressure off of me.   It was all fun.

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
Yep, all that! 
Just to clarify a few things:
1) All rounds in Champs are "regular" - no weavers, touch n go, etc.  BUT each round might have a "specialty" (I think this is explained in the pdf file under 2018 Champs link) - so, more sets of weaves (tho no more than 12 in one set), a few more contacts than usual, etc.
2) Do distinguish between "Pre-Champs" (which are the Tues/Wed class) and "Pre-Elite."  The Pre-Champs courses have all classes - weavers, jumpers, etc. (or as many as they have time and space for).  The Pre-Elite courses are the actual Thurs-Sun Champs courses, and all technically "regular." And yes, you can earn Qs for all of them!

Come and have fun!
diane

hawksnestMT

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »
Are there subdivisions (ie veteran handler, veteran dog) in the pre-elite championship entry?

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 09:35:51 AM »
Pre elite does not have the same divisions.   It is only grouped by height.   And if we have enough junior handlers then we’ll split them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk