Author Topic: Team at Champs  (Read 2296 times)

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
Team at Champs
« on: April 02, 2018, 06:14:18 AM »

Can you elaborate a bit more on the relay in Team this year?  I keep picturing something like USDAA with dogs off leash a baton being passed.  This could be challenging for some dogs.  Can you please expand on that?

Thanks!
Robin

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Team at Champs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:19:24 AM »
No batons!

It will be run in the same way we are playing at Regionals.

The 2nd team member gets released when the 1st team leashes their dog, and raises their hand.    3rd team gets released when the 2nd team leashes their dog and raises their hand.

There are some other little rules that go along with it, but that's the short version :)

Passing a baton between 2 excited dogs is a lovely recipe for disaster.    This way dogs will be on opposite sides of the ring :)

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 06:21:24 AM »

Sounds awesome!  I never liked off leash dogs charging at another one with the handlers trying to pass batons.

Robin

Amy McGovern

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 06:23:28 AM »
Does a JH team need to be all JH?  Or likewise, does a team need to be all elite or all pre-elite?  Trying to figure out if my JH needs 1 or 2 more teammates (e.g. can I be on his team or not?).   

Amy and the schnauzers

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 07:05:22 AM »
Teams do have to be in the same division.

Lynn Saunders

• Trial Secretary
  • Karosel Sheltie 3-Pack
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »
Happy to hear the relay for Team has come back!!! It is so much fun! Yay and thanks!

Lynn Saunders
Lynn Saunders
Truckee, CA
Where the Stars Shine Brighter...

Janet Barbitta

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 04:06:41 PM »
Teams all have to be in the same division, but do they all have to be in the same subdivision?  Can an Elite dog with a Veteran Handler be on a team with an Elite Double Digit dog?

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »
For team we do combine Veteran dog and Veteran Handler.   So yes those could be mixed :)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »
And DD combines as well

hawksnestMT

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 09:09:19 PM »
I am still confused on team entry.  Does an elite dog/handler team need to be in the same subdivion ie standard, vet handler, vet dog, jr handler and only with another elite dog? On the other hand, since there are no subdivisions in pre-elite, can a team be anyone together that has a pre-elite dog? Earlier in another post, you mentioned vet handler and vet dog as separate divisions, but now this thread says they can be together. Please elaborate.

mstomel

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »
I could be wrong but I thought how many separate categories depended on how the entries looked but from what I read recently I gathered that you have to be in the same basic division, elite with elite, pre-elite with pre-elite, and then standard with standard, vet with vet (handler or dog, doesn't seem to matter) I don't understand the DD being part of anything but DD since they are running a different course (I think? I thought they were running the pre-elite course) I don't know about Jr. Handler but I would assume that they wouldn't let a single Jr. handler not compete in teams just because there wasn't another Jr. Handler to team with. I think we will know more after entries close. But height or preferred/skilled (are those even the NADAC terms? I can't remember anymore!) doesn't seem to matter, standard is standard I guess.

Amy McGovern

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
He said originally JH needed to be with JH but he also said that would be finalized after Aug 1. 

-Amy
Amy and the schnauzers

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:32 AM »
This would be why team doesnít open until after entries close :)

It all depends completely on what kind of entries we get.

If there arenít enough teams to make a vet dog and vet handler group,  then they are combined as just vet.

If there arenít enough teams to make a junior handler group,  they are combined with another group.

Ideally we have enough dogs to make a division for each group.   But we donít know until entries close.

So anything I say here is a complete guess until August 1st.   

Which is why we donít open up team entry until we know how many dogs we have :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandi Leonard

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
So, at any point, will teams from different divisions be competing against each other?  I'm bringing two dogs, one is on a Vet team, the other on an Elite team. Just want to make sure our two teams won't go head to head, since they're splitting one handler!

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »
So, at any point, will teams from different divisions be competing against each other?  I'm bringing two dogs, one is on a Vet team, the other on an Elite team. Just want to make sure our two teams won't go head to head, since they're splitting one handler!

Definitely not for those two groups!

Standard will always be separated.

The groups that sometimes don't have enough entries and need to be combined for teams can be Veteran Handler and Veteran Dog and Junior Handlers.

Right now we have 292 dogs entered.   So odds are pretty good that each group will be able to have their own division and no combining will be needed :)