Author Topic: Junior Handler ages out  (Read 1196 times)

Alanna Leach

Junior Handler ages out
« on: June 09, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »
Hello.  I would like opinions from others on this.  I have mentored a junior handler since he was 14.  He runs a fast Sheltie.  He is now 18.  The dog has jumped 8” her whole career, now as an older dog ... she has to jump 12”.  It is hard for her.  I almost think that dogs whose whole career has been as a JH’s dog, should be allowed to keep their jump height when the junior ages out of that class.  Thoughts???

Sincerely,
Alanna Leach
A concerned trainer.
Alanna Leach

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
Re: Junior Handler ages out
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 09:31:04 PM »
Hello.  I would like opinions from others on this.  I have mentored a junior handler since he was 14.  He runs a fast Sheltie.  He is now 18.  The dog has jumped 8” her whole career, now as an older dog ... she has to jump 12”.  It is hard for her.  I almost think that dogs whose whole career has been as a JH’s dog, should be allowed to keep their jump height when the junior ages out of that class.  Thoughts???

Sincerely,
Alanna Leach
A concerned trainer.

How old is the dog Alanna ?  I would imagine if the dog has been competing four 4 years it is probably around 5 and a half at least.  I am guessing older because most Junior handlers start an older dog.   It could be the dog is vet...that would help
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »
I understand the struggle there, but there really isn't a lot that can be done.

If the dog isn't a veteran yet, and they were jumping as Skilled Junior Handler, then he just has to jump the higher height.

Alanna Leach

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »
Yes, I am aware of the Vet option.  If the dog was a vet, then this would be a moot point. 

Alanna

Sincerely,
Alanna Leach
A concerned trainer.

How old is the dog Alanna ?  I would imagine if the dog has been competing four 4 years it is probably around 5 and a half at least.  I am guessing older because most Junior handlers start an older dog.   It could be the dog is vet...that would help
Alanna Leach

Alanna Leach

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 08:39:56 PM »
It is too bad.  I spoke to three people today at our little local trial that the same thing happened to.  I think a change should be considered.

Respectfully,
Alanna Leach

I understand the struggle there, but there really isn't a lot that can be done.

If the dog isn't a veteran yet, and they were jumping as Skilled Junior Handler, then he just has to jump the higher height.
Alanna Leach

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 08:57:29 PM »
Well, Chris suggested it, but I didn't read whether the dog WAS doing Skilled JH. If it was doing Proficient JH, losing JH status is countered by moving to Skilled. And awards are the same.
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Alanna Leach

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 05:26:46 AM »
I am pretty familiar with the rules, having judged for many years. The dog ran Skilled JH right from the start.  She is not eligible for the Vet option yet.  She jumped 8” for 4 yrs, now since her handler aged out, she jumps 12”. 

Alanna

Well, Chris suggested it, but I didn't read whether the dog WAS doing Skilled JH. If it was doing Proficient JH, losing JH status is countered by moving to Skilled. And awards are the same.
Alanna Leach

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 07:55:05 AM »
I'm familiar with you.  I thought the original post was asking for help.  Sometimes when we're close to something we don't see the obvious.  Glad I was able to contribute.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:56:45 AM by Richard Wolfe »
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Joyce Roessner

• Judge
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »
But what does that say to the people who were never Junior Handlers and whose dogs have always had to jump their 'regular' height.  I don't think you can make that kind of change.   
Joyce Roessner
Calgary, Alberta

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 11:37:11 AM »
I see both sides of this. However, JHs always got lower jump height but also paid less for runs. What we find in our area is as soon as they have to pay full price for runs they drop out cause mom and dad don't pay anymore. Perhaps if you watch videos of the dog's runs, you may see that the dog is actually jumping much higher than the 8" anyway so it might not be a big problem ?  The younger dogs are capable of relearning and jumping higher if they are sound in body. 

BeckyAH

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »
I would think, given that it's perfectly clear whether the dog will be eligible for veteran status by the time the JH ages out, that simply not taking the skilled jump height reduction in addition to the height reduction for junior handler, would keep the dog jumping the same height if that was important to the handler?

I may be missing the obvious, there.   Certainly I understand it isn't always done, but knowing that the rules are, and the ages of the animal and handler, it's certainly possible to avoid having the dog jump higher later if it's a concern.

That said, a lot of dogs don't have many problems switching jump heights, either higher or lower,  but I do understand the difficulty.  A lot of the dogs who do it do it regularly in training and switch frequently - not after years of jumping one height.