Author Topic: regionals info  (Read 1563 times)

giddyup

regionals info
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:42:16 PM »
Hi,  How do regionals work?  I understand if you "win" a regionals, you get an invite to Champs? How do you "win" a regional?  And if you do win and get an invite, does that mean you don't have to qualify the normal way?  Like getting 4 Q's each of Chances and Jumpers and 10 Regular Q's?

Thanks!

Jill & Hopper & Tango

ricbonner

Re: regionals info
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »
To win a regional, a dog must have the best score over the regular runs offered at the regional, using Champs style scoring - basically Time + Faults.  Dog's scores are grouped the same way as Champs.

giddyup

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »
I've never been to Champs, so I don't know how the scoring works.  So the scoring is based on the 3 regular runs over the 3 days? (basically, if you want a chance at winning, plan on entering all 3 days?)

Thanks
Jill

Deni

• Judge
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:34:25 PM »
There is information about the Regionals posted on the NADAC website, under the "train & play" tab.  Here's a direct link to the FAQ page:

https://www.nadac.com/nadac-regional-faq/

Hope this helps!
Denise

ricbonner

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 07:14:16 PM »
There is detail on the Champs style scoring posted in the Champs 2019 Info Sheet:

https://www.nadac.com/WPsite/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/InfoSheet2019.pdf

The key bit is this:

"Scoring is done on a time plus faults system. Each round will have a base number of points that everyone starts with. For this example we will use 150 as our base number, keep in mind for the actual event this number can and will fluctuate depending on the course. When your dog runs their time and any faults incurred will be subtracted from this number. So a dog that ran in 25.00 seconds with 10 course faults would have a score of 115.00. This score is what determines your placement in your division."

At a regional, 4 regular runs are scored in that manner and the highest total score over 4 runs for the division is the regional winner.  So yes, it is advisable to run all 4 of the Regular runs on Saturday and Sunday at the regional if you hope to win.  Skipping or scratching a regional Regular run puts that dog at a real disadvantage in terms of winning the regional.  As a dog with 4 runs will more than likely easily outscore a dog with only 3 runs.   Also, choosing to train in one of the Regional regular runs, while potentially a good decision for the dog, will earn an E and will also make it very difficult to win the regional.

giddyup

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 08:00:16 PM »
Thank you!  That info on the scoring makes sense!  What about the other part of my question.  If you win a regionals, do you still have to qualify for Champs?  The 10 regular Qs and the 4 Qs each in chances and jumpers?
Thanks!
Jill

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
Thank you!  That info on the scoring makes sense!  What about the other part of my question.  If you win a regionals, do you still have to qualify for Champs?  The 10 regular Qs and the 4 Qs each in chances and jumpers?
Thanks!
Jill

Nope, you can come in and win and you won't need the other qualifications.

giddyup

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »
Thanks Chris!  Next question - if the regionals is based on the 4 regular runs, how does that work if the regionals in our area is a 3 day trial with 2 regular runs a day?
Thanks
Jill

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »
Thanks Chris!  Next question - if the regionals is based on the 4 regular runs, how does that work if the regionals in our area is a 3 day trial with 2 regular runs a day?
Thanks
Jill

Only Saturday and Sunday count :)

MichelleWhall

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 01:13:08 PM »
Friday is a good way to practice before the big event!

mstomel

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 01:49:27 PM »
Can someone explain to me how it works to receive an invite into stakes at a regionals? Is it just that if you attempt a stakes line and don't die you get in or? I know the actual stakes judging is very different than how the distance boxes are judged right now (I'm pretty sure it's not pass/fail, you gather points navigating different sections of the course right?) Is that how it's judged at regionals? how are you showing a minimum skill level to get an invite? Can multiple people get a stakes invite at a single regional?

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »
Can someone explain to me how it works to receive an invite into stakes at a regionals? Is it just that if you attempt a stakes line and don't die you get in or? I know the actual stakes judging is very different than how the distance boxes are judged right now (I'm pretty sure it's not pass/fail, you gather points navigating different sections of the course right?) Is that how it's judged at regionals? how are you showing a minimum skill level to get an invite? Can multiple people get a stakes invite at a single regional?

1) The entire course must be run in flow, we do NOT do sections at regionals like we do at Champs.    So no spins, stopping above contacts, wide turns, etc.
2) The judging for regional invites for the Stakes division is done live by the Rep who is there.   
3) Multiple people can get an invite to Stakes at the Regionals.   The bonus program is a pretty small one, so we like to promote it as much as possible and get more people involved.   So if they have the skills to pass the tests for that weekend, they're welcome to try them at Champs.    Most people know their dogs well enough and know whether this is a good idea or not