Author Topic: Vet dog vs Vet Handler  (Read 488 times)

Ditz

Vet dog vs Vet Handler
« on: April 02, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
I am 69 years old and have been running my 8 year old dog in skilled as a veteran handler.  I also have a 3 year old dog running proficient with me as a veteran handler so he is jumping 16 instead of 20.  My senior dog will be 9 on May 1st and the premium I am filling out says I must enter her as a veteran dog.  It seems to me I remember that if I enter as a veteran handler, I must run all my dogs as a veteran handler.  Can I run both as a veteran handler, or do I need to run my 9 year old dog as a vet and my younger dog veteran handler?  Does this question make any sense??  :o

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
Re: Vet dog vs Vet Handler
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 12:54:23 PM »
If you enter as a Vet Handler, you must run all of your dogs as Vet Handler. 

Since you cannot get more than 2 height breaks (i.e. one for Skilled and one for Vet Dog or Vet Handler) your senior dog would not be physically jumping any lower than before.  Therefor, the change to vet dog for your senior dog would only affect placements and who you would be placed with in the results. 
Jeff L.

Ditz

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 01:15:14 PM »
That was my confusion.  The rules say I MUST run my 9 year old as a vet dog, and also that I MUST run all my dogs as a vet handler and I cannot do both! I am hoping that running the 9 year old as a vet handler is ok.

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 01:40:15 PM »
The confusion is in your statement "I can't do both."  In fact you can enter as a Vet Handler and also enter a Vet Dog.  It just won't have any effect on the physical height the dog will jump, it will only affect placement groups.
Jeff L.

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
Yep.  Vet Handler and Vet Dog are essentially the same, so you're good.

But I'm a Vet Handler with a Vet Dog and a young dog.  I prefer not to run my young dog with 2 decreases in height (although this one is tiny anyway) so I do not enter as a Vet Handler.  That way I'm not required to run both dogs that way. And still the same result for the older dog.  It is just options for the handler.
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven