Author Topic: price increase?  (Read 3078 times)

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
price increase?
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:03:55 PM »
What are clubs going to do with the price increase in 2020?
Any suggestions??

I know that this price increase is going to affect small trials.   Even with a entry fee increase, it is going to hit us hard.
Most people only have a finite dollar amount they are going to spend at a trial.  So if they spend $100 at $10 a run ..they get 10 runs.
Now with price increase, they may enter 8 or 9 runs instead..which is lowering total runs but clubs still have to pay an increase in daily fees to judges.

Just throwing out numbers here...
If a trial has 150 runs a day.
Now they pay NADAC 150 and judge 200.
next year for the same runs, we have to pay NADAC $225 and judge 300.  This is a daily increase of $175!!  Over a 3 day trial that is $525.   That is alot of money, when small trials are barely breaking even now. 

I recall reading that NADAC will waive application fees if this happens.   How do we go about handling this?   

I really am at a loss at to what to do with my trials next year.  I am going to cancel some which sucks.
Any thoughts comment suggestions are greatly appreciated !!
lisa

Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: price increase?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 02:25:53 PM »
I think a lot of speculation is happening with no hard facts to back any of it up.

Itís in Nadacís best interest to keep entry number high,  does anyone truly think weíre going to let entries drop? 

Let it happen and letís actually are what happens in the real world.   If entries suffer across the board, weíll do something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndreaEntin

• Judge
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:08:01 AM »
I am thinking of going with $12.00 as the package price and $14.00 per class.

Fingers crossed.
Andrea

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:19:46 AM »
So I also wanted to point out one other thing.

Here in Oregon the prices for dog shows look like this, this is all from local premiums:

CPE: $12 per run standard, $11 with a package
USDAA: $15 per run, no package prices
ASCA: $12 per run, $11.25 with package
AKC: $19 per run

The majority of NADAC clubs around here charge about $10 per run, for the most part.
So raising those prices by a dollar, still puts them well under the price point of every other venue in the area.

Obviously this is going to be different everywhere, but I'll bet it's pretty close.

The fact is that NADAC can not grow with the current level of funding.   We can stay right where we are.   But if we want more people we need better marketing, quicker responses from the office, better rule books, more reps at trials, quicker processes for award and title mailings.      We're basically raising everything by a dollar so that we are on the same playing field as the other venues in what they are able to offer.   If we stay where we are, then we will be staying where we are.    And in my opinion if you aren't growing you're dying.

Erin Wajda

• Judge
    • Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:57:50 AM »
I TOTALLY understand your need to increase prices. 

I'm not sure how I am going to deal with the increase yet.  Our entry numbers have been decreasing for years and as a result we have had to raise our prices considerably in order to cover all the costs.  We started out offering $10/run.  Now it is a tiered pricing system: 1-7 runs $13, 8-15 runs $12, 16-23 $11, 24+ runs $10.  I fear I have already increased my prices as much as my exhibitors can handle without cutting back on the number of runs that they enter.  I don't feel great about increasing prices again.  Time will tell I guess, but it in some areas it is not as simple as raising fees by $1 per run.

Erin
Erin Wajda
Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
Sand Lake, NY

Amy McGovern

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »
One thing to point out is that AKC only runs 2 or 3 runs a day so the per-run price isn't really comparable. It is the per day price one should compare. Also, around here they charge even more than $19 so you are lucky with that.  It's around $25 here.  But for 2 runs a day, that's $50 when I could get 5 runs of NADAC for that! 
Amy and the schnauzers

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 03:45:37 PM »
We arenít exactly forcing anyone to enter all 8 rounds in a day.

Heck, I personally advocate against it for most dogs.

Being able to enter more classes doesnít mean anyone is forced to

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 07:28:39 PM »
I travel over 2 hours to any NADAC trial.  usually I spend Friday and Saturday nights in a motel for at least $100 per night.  spending $4 to $6 more per day for classes is a small percent of the cost of trialing.

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 07:33:37 PM »
I would LOVE to find a way to make hotels cheaper for folks.   
That is really the biggest expense for most folks.

Would be really open to ideas on that front

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 07:43:07 PM »
Especially for clubs that have "smaller" trials, not starting the trial at 8:00 a.m. would certainly help to alleviate lodging costs for many competitors. You might at least pick up more people who are willing to drive 2-3 hours for one day if they don't have to get a hotel, which is better than zero days. I have never understood why we need to start at 8:00 a.m. and be done by 1:00 or 2:00 p.m.

I live on the edge of the Central time zone and the majority of NADAC trials here in TN are in the Eastern time zone. It SUCKS to have an 8:00 a.m. start because that's 7:00 a.m. for me. Add in the hour drive and I no longer really feel like going.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH3/NATCH4 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy, Jedi & Ren

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 08:07:01 AM »
So I also wanted to point out one other thing.

Here in Oregon the prices for dog shows look like this, this is all from local premiums:

CPE: $12 per run standard, $11 with a package
USDAA: $15 per run, no package prices
ASCA: $12 per run, $11.25 with package
AKC: $19 per run

The majority of NADAC clubs around here charge about $10 per run, for the most part.
So raising those prices by a dollar, still puts them well under the price point of every other venue in the area.

Obviously this is going to be different everywhere, but I'll bet it's pretty close.

The fact is that NADAC can not grow with the current level of funding.   We can stay right where we are.   But if we want more people we need better marketing, quicker responses from the office, better rule books, more reps at trials, quicker processes for award and title mailings.      We're basically raising everything by a dollar so that we are on the same playing field as the other venues in what they are able to offer.   If we stay where we are, then we will be staying where we are.    And in my opinion if you aren't growing you're dying.

Chris, while I agree the run cost in AKC and USDAA are higher, it is one of the specific reasons I don't do either of those venues.  I do one AKC trial per year, and only because it is hosted by the club I train with.  I run 1 dog in 2 events.  It costs me $80.00.  For that, I can do a lot more runs in NADAC.  It is a far better bang for my buck.  But as Lisa says, I have a finite amount of money and run 4 dogs.  If prices go up, I most definitely need to cut my number of runs. 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 08:13:00 AM »
Especially for clubs that have "smaller" trials, not starting the trial at 8:00 a.m. would certainly help to alleviate lodging costs for many competitors. You might at least pick up more people who are willing to drive 2-3 hours for one day if they don't have to get a hotel, which is better than zero days. I have never understood why we need to start at 8:00 a.m. and be done by 1:00 or 2:00 p.m.

I live on the edge of the Central time zone and the majority of NADAC trials here in TN are in the Eastern time zone. It SUCKS to have an 8:00 a.m. start because that's 7:00 a.m. for me. Add in the hour drive and I no longer really feel like going.

I can't agree with you more on this one!  There were a few trials in Indiana, about 3 hours from me, that I would have driven to, but the first day started at 8am, which is 7am central.  That means that I need to leave by 3am to get there for the beginning of the trial.  I have the same issue with the fun-raiser in St. Louis.  It starts at 730am.  I am 2.5 hours away if I am at the farm.
 Again, I need to leave by 4am to get there in time.  That is not going to happen.  On the flip side, the Fun-raiser that Chris had, started at 11am, and I made the trek down for both days.  I understand the heat issues, but is that hour or 2 really going to make a big difference? 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 08:18:46 AM »
Purina Funraiser starts at 7am.
Richard Wolfe
Rumor and Raven
Sparkle HOF and Rowdy, Gold Achievement Cup waiting at the Bridge

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 08:58:39 AM »
The Purina Fundraiser starts at 7:00am to try to avoid the heat.  If there were lights we could run at night, but either way that doesnít help someone who doesnít want to stay overnight. 

Gina

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
Also I just wanted to clear up one little thing in this post.

From a club standpoint:
Raising your entry fees by $1 is something that NADAC expects all clubs to do.     Otherwise this change doesn't work, because as you mentioned the prices go up.

The numbers you mentioned earlier, 150 runs.

If you're charging $10 a run that means you made $1500.   Minus $150 to NADAC and $200 for the Judges minimum.   That leaves you with $1,150

After January, when you raise your prices, because NADAC has raised theirs, you will now be charging $11 per run.   
This gets you $1,650.   Minus $225 to NADAC and $300 to the judge leaves you with $1,125.

So you would be losing $25.    This assumes a trial that is only reaching minimums.   Which is the worst case scenario.   And as you mentioned NADAC waives certain fees entirely to a club when the club is at risk of losing money.   Which again, puts the club at zero risk.   Assuming they do what we've asked which is to raise their prices to match ours.   

This doesn't help the handlers though.   The handlers are still paying that extra $1 per run.    And it's NADAC's responsibility to make sure that the extra $1 per run is well worth it.    Which we are doing with a multitude of changes in regards to courses and staffing in the office, and award and title mailings which a lot of folks care about.