Author Topic: New Rule Regarding Placement of Leash on Ground  (Read 856 times)

KellyDittmar

Re: New Rule Regarding Placement of Leash on Ground
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 05:35:38 AM »
Karissa, do you have other videos of him running past his toy and ignoring it while it is on the ground?
Kelly Dittmar
Sam & Jake
Minnesota

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »
In looking a the video that Karissa had, as a leash runner, I would never put the leash on the ground prior to the dog passing the exit if the finish obstacle were taken as part of the course.  It also seems as if they chose a weird place to put it as it was actually on course.  Why wouldn't they put it on the opposite side (fence side) of the ring   As Karl said, many of the venues that I run in don't have the kind of room to put it 20' away from the obstacle. And this is not just NADAC. I see it in other venues as well.  When I watch my friend's videos from USDAA and AKC, the leashes are practically at the base of the last obstacle.  Many times we have only 5 or 6 feet before the exit so the 20' would be well out of the ring.  My newer dog is trained to come back to me after the finish.  This means that she wraps the last obstacle and returns to me.  She still finishes hard and in extension and then comes back to me after she has cleared the last obstacle.  I would think this would be similar to going to their leash. 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

BeckyAH

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
This means that she wraps the last obstacle and returns to me.  She still finishes hard and in extension and then comes back to me after she has cleared the last obstacle.  I would think this would be similar to going to their leash.

This is how all of my dogs end their runs - these clips are from a couple of v-run submissions, so the walk back to the leash is fairly long, but.  Same.   (You'll want to watch for the second dog - she's more relevant to the 'in extension/fast' and a more clear example of the behavior).