Author Topic: Dogs itchy for no seeming reason  (Read 374 times)

Luiu

Dogs itchy for no seeming reason
« on: June 05, 2019, 08:00:23 AM »
Were seeing ghost itchy dogs. These dogs are not necessarily ones I have groomed before, many have no fleas, no pinkness of their skin, no bumps bites or abrasions, etc. These dogs are insanely itchy, like add water and the lean into it. Many respond slightly to oatmeal and the jury is out on Eqyss because of the limited length of time I have been using it and one dog's response after it. We did have a wildfire, which has stopped burning-I thought maybe this was an allergic reaction to that. It has systematically continued so maybe not? The vets are not coming up with any answers besides some general elimination and throwing various shampoos or bendyril at these clients. These eliminations have for the most part, not helped. These dogs are not the same breed, are not really from the same area (most are from within 45 minutes of each other in eastern NC). Most of these dogs are on premium foods, are well-taken care for, etc. The only thing that is similar across the board is that they all are very well vetted, they all are under forty pounds, they all are flea free and all are on topicals (though totally different brands) Any Ideas????? It is making me crazy! Now people are not ghosted itchy here, nor are cats. Just well cared for dogs. I do not think it is rinsing because I rinse like a maniac and many of these are new clients that I have not groomed before. Maybe a topical additive across the board in Advantage and frontline products? I just don't know. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Rena Bonem

• Trial Secretary
    • Baylor University Home Page
Re: Dogs itchy for no seeming reason
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »
Now that you mention it, I just switched from Advantix to Nexgard and my itchy dogs are no longer itching.  Maybe it is worth the cost.  I know that I cannot handle Advantix since it causes me to have a reaction like poison ivy.  Rena
Rena Bonem, Trial Secretary Waco Agility Group
Brady and Lady Bug, Goldie: under couch potato, and Lucy, Will'em, and Tess, my agility angels

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:15:33 PM »
My young BC was very itchy all the time. I could feel heated areas on his body in different locations during the day. He did not chew his paws or legs, just scratched all the time, under arm pits, neck and ears.  He is not on any topicals and eats raw with some kibble. I thought maybe grass or food related so I did a sensitivity test on him and found many food and earthly things he was resistant to. But changing his diet to avoid them did nothing to suppress the itching.  During that time I moved from CA to MT and thought maybe a change in climate, grass, etc would help him. It did not.

A good friend suggested bathing him with an antibacterial dog shampoo. It had helped her dog tremendously when nothing else did. So I went to Amazon and bought Keto Antibaterial dog shampoo. After his first bathing he stopped scratching for about a week. His second bathing lasted almost a month. After his 3rd bathing he no longer scratches. 
Marj Vincent
Scotty & Java
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 04:32:44 AM »

It is well known that topical poisons (frontline. etc) can cause reactions (all poisons can of course oral or topical & seresto collars too) and according to my vet fleas are pretty much resistant to frontline anymore anyway  -  If it was me, I would stop them - I don't use them anyway since I don't want to absorb the poisons through my skin when I pet my dogs  :)

I use a nice essential oil spray for fleas and ticks from Mercola.com

Second I would look into food energetics and feed "cooling or neutral" foods rather than "warm or hot" foods - https://www.herbsmithinc.com/food-charts/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:35:30 AM by Maureen deHaan »
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"