Author Topic: run orders  (Read 9383 times)

Amy McGovern

run orders
« on: September 09, 2019, 04:00:59 PM »
Two questions on the run orders (likely for Chris):

1) The run order email gives an order for Sunday.  I thought Sunday was team and finals only? 

2) How deep will the line be?  e.g. how far apart do two dogs need to be to see each other run?  Last year the line could get pretty deep (15 or more dogs).  I need to know this before I answer if I have a conflict or not.

Thanks!
Amy and the schnauzers

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
Re: run orders
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 05:37:06 PM »
Two questions on the run orders (likely for Chris):

1) The run order email gives an order for Sunday.  I thought Sunday was team and finals only? 

2) How deep will the line be?  e.g. how far apart do two dogs need to be to see each other run?  Last year the line could get pretty deep (15 or more dogs).  I need to know this before I answer if I have a conflict or not.

Thanks!

Can't answer #2, but #1 Chris has said was a holdover from last year's macro - or something like that.  So no, there isn't a Sunday run - ignore that file.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Amy McGovern

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 06:30:17 PM »
Thanks!  Need the answer to #2 so I can answer if I have a conflict or not.  I want to see my kid run :)
Amy and the schnauzers

amartins

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
I had the same question as Amy McGovern - I want to see my kid run  :) Thanks for confirming how big of a gap needed between dogs to be able to see each other run. Also thanks for letting us know we can ignore Sunday's run order.
Alison Martins

golden1828

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
Did this run order email go out today as I did not receive anything

Linda
Linda

mactedsteelerik

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:51:05 PM »
If we need to move a dog, am I correct in assuming that as long as they stay in their same height and in the same ring, they can be moved in between dogs in a different category? ie can a 4" DD elite dog be moved below a 4" elite vet small dog, or an 8" elite std mini be moved in the middle of the 8" elite vet medium dogs? I have 3 dogs entered - a DD mini 4", an Elite Std mini 8", and a Pre-elite mini 8". I definitely have some runs that are way too close together in the posted run orders and may need to make some moves. But, it's hard to really figure this out, because if the pre-elite courses are shorter, then that ring might move faster and maybe there wouldn't be a conflict with an elite dog?
Claudia McGuire
Rik and Skye

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 06:01:21 AM »
If we need to move a dog, am I correct in assuming that as long as they stay in their same height and in the same ring, they can be moved in between dogs in a different category? ie can a 4" DD elite dog be moved below a 4" elite vet small dog, or an 8" elite std mini be moved in the middle of the 8" elite vet medium dogs? I have 3 dogs entered - a DD mini 4", an Elite Std mini 8", and a Pre-elite mini 8". I definitely have some runs that are way too close together in the posted run orders and may need to make some moves. But, it's hard to really figure this out, because if the pre-elite courses are shorter, then that ring might move faster and maybe there wouldn't be a conflict with an elite dog?

You are correct that they can move within other groups.  As long as the height is the same. 

As for the pre-elite issue.  If they do like last year - which it certainly looks is the plan - then there still won't be a conflict between the rings.  The Workers change and Workers Change and 10 minute breaks take care of that.  If one ring is ahead or behind of the other they use those change/breaks to get everyone back on the same track.  So if the pre-elite ring finishes run #35 before the elite ring does, they hold the pre-elite ring until elite is finished and the workers change/break is over.  Then both rings start again at the same time with run #36.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
Marcy is correct on all counts.

I think the farthest we ever got out of sync last year was 5 dogs.   The worker breaks are used to sync everything back up.     Which is something to keep in mind if you're the first dog after a worker change, you WILL have a couple minutes while they change workers, and possibly wait for the other ring to catch up.

We try to warn you as best we can when you head into the chute, or we might even hold you from going in if we know there is going to be a delay

KellyDittmar

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »
I think the farthest we ever got out of sync last year was 5 dogs.   The worker breaks are used to sync everything back up.     Which is something to keep in mind if you're the first dog after a worker change, you WILL have a couple minutes while they change workers, and possibly wait for the other ring to catch up.

Why does it matter if the rings are slightly out of sync? It seems like if you're holding your longer ring to allow your shorter ring to catch up - you're just prolonging the day in the longer ring... so I'm sure I'm missing something?

Kelly
Kelly Dittmar
Sam & Jake
Minnesota

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 11:17:15 AM »

Why does it matter if the rings are slightly out of sync? It seems like if you're holding your longer ring to allow your shorter ring to catch up - you're just prolonging the day in the longer ring... so I'm sure I'm missing something?

Kelly

Multiple dogs.

If you have a 20 dog split between your Pre-Elite and Elite dog, and we allow the Elite ring to get 5 dogs ahead of Pre-Elite, then you now only have 15 dogs between them.   Which is a problem.

It's also easier to get workers in place all at the same time, rather than having to make the announcements twice.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »
And again, we use to run 260 dogs in one ring.  Running 201 is really not a problem.

KellyDittmar

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »
Makes complete sense. Thanks Chris! I really wondered about it last year!

Kelly
Kelly Dittmar
Sam & Jake
Minnesota

kirbysmom2000

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 11:43:03 AM »

Regarding the line-up, I'd like to make a suggestion/request. Is it possible to have a guideline for a maximum number of dogs (8-10 maybe) in the queue at any given time? 

At our first Champs in 2017, there always seemed to be a loooooong line-up. The box set-up was awesome, but the queue to get into the boxes was a nightmare for dogs like mine that need their space. By the end of the weekend, I fashioned a system of checking in with the gate steward and then hanging out to the side, cutting in at the last minute to enter the boxes, but it wasn't pretty at times. Plus the area got super congested with dogs and handlers, which seems like a recipe for potential disaster. By setting a guideline, people could (hopefully) relax and not come up quite so early, knowing that they aren't going to be arriving "late," and allow the gate stewards to not be managing 15 dogs deep. 

Just a thought!

Amy

KellyDittmar

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »
The last time I ran at champs, there were 4 dogs in line or so... I guess times have really changed! Why do we have so many lined up?

Kelly
Kelly Dittmar
Sam & Jake
Minnesota

Amy McGovern

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 12:39:50 PM »
Last year they lined up people 10-12 deep behind the stands.  it was somewhat stressful!  The pre-elite ring was only about 3-4 deep, which was much easier.  I was assuming elite looked like the 10-12 again but I sure prefer the 3-4!
Amy and the schnauzers