Author Topic: Gamblers -- in the grand scheme of classes  (Read 566 times)

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Gamblers -- in the grand scheme of classes
« on: September 10, 2019, 01:47:20 PM »
This is an idea for discussion, not for an immediate answer.

What if the Gamblers class was essentially a "wild card class"?  Meaning that for versatility NATCH and ALL-AROUND NATCH, you could substitute Gamblers for one of the classes required for versatility or all-around.

So, handlers with those tall dogs who must run crouching through tunnels could choose Gamblers rather than Tunnelers.  For those who promise their dogs they will never have to run weavers again, Gamblers could substitute for Weavers.  Those who dislike hoopers or barrelers could choose Gamblers.

You could only pick one class which Gamblers could substitute for.  And the course classes, Regular, Jumpers, Chances would not be eligible for substitution.

Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Gamblers -- in the grand scheme of classes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »
It's not a bad idea at all.

What it would require, is someone MUCH more skilled than myself to do the coding for the awards.   Lots of variables there that would just be outside my scope of ability.

KellyDittmar

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »
So, handlers with those tall dogs who must run crouching through tunnels could choose Gamblers rather than Tunnelers.  For those who promise their dogs they will never have to run weavers again, Gamblers could substitute for Weavers.  Those who dislike hoopers or barrelers could choose Gamblers.

Right now you can use gamblers to substitute for both hoopers & barrelers to earn your all around natch... so your versatility natch + 130 elite gamblers Qs = your All Around Natch.
Kelly Dittmar
Sam & Jake
Minnesota

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »
I suspect I know the answer to this...but if one has an AA-NATCH already, and then earns 130 points in Gamblers...newly-named award, or AA-NATCH 2?
Diane

ricbonner

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 07:56:37 PM »
I suspect I know the answer to this...but if one has an AA-NATCH already, and then earns 130 points in Gamblers...newly-named award, or AA-NATCH 2?
Diane

To tack on to that, what if your dog has 6 All Around Natch's with Barrelers and Hoopers, and now all the clubs have stopped offering Hoopers and offer Gamblers instead.  Will AA-NATCH-6 + 130 Gamblers points equal AA-NATCH-7 ?  Or would the dog need to "catch up" in Gamblers (630 points) before accumulating for the next AA-NATCH using Gambler points.

I ask because my boy Cody is in this situation: NATCH-18, V-NATCH-10, AA-NATCH-6.  He likes Gamblers way better than Hoopers, so I don't mind switching classes, just not keen on starting over.

grundahlk

• Judge
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 01:52:29 PM »
This is an idea for discussion, not for an immediate answer.

What if the Gamblers class was essentially a "wild card class"?  Meaning that for versatility NATCH and ALL-AROUND NATCH, you could substitute Gamblers for one of the classes required for versatility or all-around.

You could only pick one class which Gamblers could substitute for.  And the course classes, Regular, Jumpers, Chances would not be eligible for substitution.

I like this idea. I think it would could possibly be simplified to:  an all-around NATACH be comprised of the requisite number of points accumulated in 7 of the 8 classes available, versatility in 5 of the 6 classes.

This would allow handlers to make the right choices for their dog, but still demonstrate versatility of skill. If may also address the notion that clubs will quit offering certain classes since all their exhibitor pool would still be competing in all classes (Sally may just enter gamblers and barrels, but Fred would enter barrels and tunnelers at the same trial). It would simplify the coding process in that once points are earned in 7 classes - regardless of which ones - a new consecutive award is earned.

I find this option to nicely coincide with NADACís approach to the health/happiness of the dog is paramount.

Just my thoughts. Thank you Janice for bringing up the topic.
Kiely
Kiely Grundahl

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »
Diane

To tack on to that, what if your dog has 6 All Around Natch's with Barrelers and Hoopers, and now all the clubs have stopped offering Hoopers and offer Gamblers instead.  Will AA-NATCH-6 + 130 Gamblers points equal AA-NATCH-7 ?  Or would the dog need to "catch up" in Gamblers (630 points) before accumulating for the next AA-NATCH using Gambler points.

I ask because my boy Cody is in this situation: NATCH-18, V-NATCH-10, AA-NATCH-6.  He likes Gamblers way better than Hoopers, so I don't mind switching classes, just not keen on starting over.

Yeah starting over would be bad!

You won't have to start over,   It will pick up where you left off with the previous classes...eventually.

I don't expect anyone to be earning those points until after Champs, so I've put off the coding work until after Champs as well :)

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 05:50:36 PM »
I think AA NATCHs should include Championship points of 2 of the 3 extra classes.  Whatever you choose.  Not just Gamblers, but Gamblers and Hoopers, or Gamblers and Barrelers, or Hoopers and Barrelers. 
My dogs love Barrelers.  And I think Hoopers can still be fun.  I'd hate to see clubs do away with them.
Lorrie Stelz
Kaiden: NATCH 15 V-NATCH 12 AA NATCH 4 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye PT BN MX MXJ MXF TKI IT
Tripp: NATCH 7 V-NATCH 6 AA NATCH 4 BB's Embrace The Journey TKI IT
Sketch: BB's Nothin' But A Good Time TKI IT
ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 V-NATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF