Author Topic: Regional 2020 Draw  (Read 1216 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Regional 2020 Draw
« on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »

Cheryl Gilbert

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Regional 2020 Draw
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »
Just curious as to which states are in which regions?  Noticed that Mountain Dog Sports which appears to be based in Colorado won the south central region...just curious why they are South Central?
Cheryl Gilbert with
Emmy and Allie
Rachel, Becky, Twinkles, Honey, Lucky, Wally, Benny and Daisy waiting on the other side....

David Tharle

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
Can't tell you the why, but a map can be found on the NADAC website. Click on "Train & Play"  and scroll down to NADAC Regionals. Enter. On the right side of that page, under "The Latest News", fourth down is "2019 Regional Location Drawing" from Dec 24, 2018. Enter.  Map included there.  Don't think it has changed.   I complained it was a little "short"  :D, but since few Canadians get to CHAMPS when it's in the east, accepted that we didn't get a Regional for 2019.
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 09:53:28 AM »
The maps are a point of contention for a lot of folks.

I am okay with moving Colorado wherever anyone wants it for 2021. 

The truth is, the USA is a big place, and no matter where you put it, someone is going to be left out, or having to drive 12+ hours.

The only way to change that is to add more regional events.    But what I don't think most people realize is that NADAC gets zero financial gain from the Regional events, the clubs don't pay us to be there. but we have to fly someone out to judge the distance challenges and bonuses, and score.    Plus the awards cost us around $500 per event.    This adds up to the current 7 regionals costing NADAC around $15,000 each year.     

That REALLY taps out our current budget.    So the idea of adding more, is a bit of a hard sell for us.

At this point we're highly leaning towards either making all Regionals NADAC hosted events.   Or doing away with the Draw system and we hand pick each club, and it's just whichever club is most central to the region.   

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
The maps are a point of contention for a lot of folks.

I am okay with moving Colorado wherever anyone wants it for 2021. 

The truth is, the USA is a big place, and no matter where you put it, someone is going to be left out, or having to drive 12+ hours.

The only way to change that is to add more regional events.    But what I don't think most people realize is that NADAC gets zero financial gain from the Regional events, the clubs don't pay us to be there. but we have to fly someone out to judge the distance challenges and bonuses, and score.    Plus the awards cost us around $500 per event.    This adds up to the current 7 regionals costing NADAC around $15,000 each year.     

That REALLY taps out our current budget.    So the idea of adding more, is a bit of a hard sell for us.

At this point we're highly leaning towards either making all Regionals NADAC hosted events.   Or doing away with the Draw system and we hand pick each club, and it's just whichever club is most central to the region.

I think it's the same "problem" with where to locate Champs.  No way to make it "fair" to everyone so I think your designations are about as good as they can get. 

And it's just my personal opinion - but I do think that once a site is selected for one year, that they should wait at least one more year before they could apply again.  That would help spread the locations around so that different people would be closer (or further away) each year.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Lindsey Cooper

• Trial Secretary
    • Mountain Dog Sports
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
Ha! "We can put Colorado wherever anyone wants it for 2021" :)

Personally I think regions may need tweaked based on who competes where. I know a lot of us in CO travel to WY and MT for trials and we used to go to UT when there were trials in Moab. We have NE, WY, NM, SD and sometimes MT/KS competitors that come to our CO trials.

Very few of us have traveled to KS with myself being the most frequent. I have never traveled to TX, OK, LA or AR and I don't see that happening for most of us in CO. I get to AZ every once in awhile (I'm heading there in Nov for their regional) as do a few competitors from SW CO, but I wouldn't see us in the same region as AZ either.

The main concern I've seen with the regions (besides regionals) is course maps. I know it will be changing with judges designing courses starting in 2020, but in the past we have seen the same set of courses within a short amount of time between CO, WY and MT because CO isn't considered the same region.

I don't know if there's a way to create a Rocky Mountain Region, but I think it would be a good solution. It would probably only include the SE or E half of MT, but it could include SD, WY, CO, UT and maybe the west half of NE & KS.

I agree that we don't want to go overboard creating new regions because it is a big expense for NADAC to add more events. Whatever is decided is fine for us in CO. We're pretty adaptable.

Lindsey
www.mountaindogsports.com

JimmyS.

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 03:42:26 AM »
Ha! "We can put Colorado wherever anyone wants it for 2021" :)

Personally I think regions may need tweaked based on who competes where. I know a lot of us in CO travel to WY and MT for trials and we used to go to UT when there were trials in Moab. We have NE, WY, NM, SD and sometimes MT/KS competitors that come to our CO trials.

Very few of us have traveled to KS with myself being the most frequent. I have never traveled to TX, OK, LA or AR and I don't see that happening for most of us in CO. I get to AZ every once in awhile (I'm heading there in Nov for their regional) as do a few competitors from SW CO, but I wouldn't see us in the same region as AZ either.

The main concern I've seen with the regions (besides regionals) is course maps. I know it will be changing with judges designing courses starting in 2020, but in the past we have seen the same set of courses within a short amount of time between CO, WY and MT because CO isn't considered the same region.

I don't know if there's a way to create a Rocky Mountain Region, but I think it would be a good solution. It would probably only include the SE or E half of MT, but it could include SD, WY, CO, UT and maybe the west half of NE & KS.

I agree that we don't want to go overboard creating new regions because it is a big expense for NADAC to add more events. Whatever is decided is fine for us in CO. We're pretty adaptable.

Lindsey
www.mountaindogsports.com
I am not real sure where Chris is at on the “regional zone issue” but courses will be changing to a mileage based type deal come Jan. 2020 IF all goes as intended. But, as you said, it will be less of an issue in general with judges designing courses, we hope. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk