Author Topic: Thank you for achievement cups, NADAC.  (Read 222 times)

BeckyAH

Thank you for achievement cups, NADAC.
« on: November 10, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »
My first agility dog and I got through a basic Open Chances title, though with difficulty and frustration (on my end). We sure weren't ready for Elite. We probably weren't even ready for Open.  Elite Chances TERRIFIED me.

The Silver and Gold Cups were announced at exactly the right time.   Something we could work toward! Without being frustrated and overwhelmed!  I was DELIGHTED, and immediately dropped back to Novice Chances to pursue the Silver.

Over our time pursing that,   I noticed my dog gaining confidence and speed *and distance*, in chances but also in general.  So I got off the line and got more confident.

We got the Silver a couple of weeks ago, and this weekend went back to Open Chances to pursue the Gold.   It wasn't scary or frustrating.  There were challenges!  But agility course challenge not "OMG HELP" over my head ones.    I'm pretty sure that we can get this.  I'm not afraid of Elite Chances anymore.

For the first time in my dog's career, NATCH is back on the table as a possibility.

I know you guys took some flack for creating these -  but they've made a world of difference for me and my dog.  It didn't give me an 'excuse' to sit in a lower level,  but it DID help me and my dog gain skills and confidence and to stay in the game and strive for something that was a stretch at the time, but attainable.

I am hugely grateful to you for that.

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
Re: Thank you for achievement cups, NADAC.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
My first agility dog and I got through a basic Open Chances title, though with difficulty and frustration (on my end). We sure weren't ready for Elite. We probably weren't even ready for Open.  Elite Chances TERRIFIED me.

The Silver and Gold Cups were announced at exactly the right time.   Something we could work toward! Without being frustrated and overwhelmed!  I was DELIGHTED, and immediately dropped back to Novice Chances to pursue the Silver.

Over our time pursing that,   I noticed my dog gaining confidence and speed *and distance*, in chances but also in general.  So I got off the line and got more confident.

We got the Silver a couple of weeks ago, and this weekend went back to Open Chances to pursue the Gold.   It wasn't scary or frustrating.  There were challenges!  But agility course challenge not "OMG HELP" over my head ones.    I'm pretty sure that we can get this.  I'm not afraid of Elite Chances anymore.

For the first time in my dog's career, NATCH is back on the table as a possibility.

I know you guys took some flack for creating these -  but they've made a world of difference for me and my dog.  It didn't give me an 'excuse' to sit in a lower level,  but it DID help me and my dog gain skills and confidence and to stay in the game and strive for something that was a stretch at the time, but attainable.

I am hugely grateful to you for that.

Awesome example of making the choice to do what's right for you and your dog - and how that pays off in the long run.  Kudos and congratulations.  And yes, kudos to NADAC as well for demonstrating that flexibility is not a dirty word.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Becky

Re: Thank you for achievement cups, NADAC.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »
Wholeheartedly agree!  Duffie has had the Regular and Jumpers requirements for a NATCH for some time now, but has always struggled with Chances, as he does not like to go that far from his handler.  He dropped back down to Novice Chances after the Cups were announced, and was able to earn his Silver Achievement Cup last month!
Becky in NC