Author Topic: Tent camping at Gillette?  (Read 631 times)

Ditz

Tent camping at Gillette?
« on: November 18, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
We are thinking of a really long road trip next fall.  Is it possible to tent camp at the Champs trial site, and is it something one would actually want to do?

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
Re: Tent camping at Gillette?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:56:10 PM »
We are thinking of a really long road trip next fall.  Is it possible to tent camp at the Champs trial site, and is it something one would actually want to do?

How tough are you?  Year before last, we had snow over night one night.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Jean Sather (McCreight)

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 05:41:47 AM »
Tent camping is possible in Gillette -- did it myself many times over the years at various seminars and trials.  Though not at the Championships, since that is kind of "pushing the season" and nights are long and dark and cold that time of year.  Renting a trailer or RV onsite (from some of the locals) was an option at one time, and that's what I did for several Championships.  Wind can also be an issue in Gillette ......
Jean & Tux
Montana

Lindsey Cooper

• Trial Secretary
    • Mountain Dog Sports
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 10:56:58 AM »
I have also camped at Gillette and I did it one or two years for champs! Weather can definitely be a factor. in 2018 we had snow and really cold temperatures one of the nights. Prior to 2010 we had a big rain/wind storm blow in and the rain came in sideways! I had a 4 season tent, but I even ended up with water inside my tent. Luckily we were able to move into a barn to dry out our stuff and stay there the last night. :)

So yes, tent camping is an option! Just be prepared for anything and have a really good tent that is staked well.

I have upgraded to a RV, so my camping there is more enjoyable these days.

Lindsey
Mountain Dog Sports, LLC

Ditz

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 09:29:14 AM »
Thanks, all!  Sounds like hotel is a way better option!