Author Topic: Gamblers Briefings during the pandemic  (Read 1176 times)

Lynn Broderick

• Trial Secretary
  • "Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone"
    • www.petworksbuffalo.com
Gamblers Briefings during the pandemic
« on: May 27, 2020, 11:56:05 AM »
We have been thinking hard about how we will run things IF we get to run our June trial, and one of the things I have been thinking about is the briefings. 

Our trials are usually small and they will be outdoors, but social distancing and masking will have to be something we are conscientious about.  I know the suggestion was to send email briefings, but we all know how things don't get read- I'm sure the judge and trial committee will have some standing in front of a group to explain some things at the trial.

I think most classes are straightforward and don't need much briefing, but in our area, very few competitors have run Gamblers, so they will need guidance. That will be the briefing that will need the most time, and have the most questions, I suspect.

To help the judges with this, could NADAC do a new video about Gamblers and it's general rules, kind of like the fabulous course setting ones that Jimmy and Amanda did?  We could then ask competitors to review that before the trial if they are entered in it, and then the judge would only have to really brief on specifics of the course.

Just a thought-
Lynn Broderick
Lynn Broderick
Up and Over Dog Sports & Four Seasons Agility Club
and Team Agileblur- Amber, Maverick, and Riley (at the Bridge)

Ed and Dino

Re: Gamblers Briefings during the pandemic
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 05:40:21 PM »
Lynn I think this is an excellent suggestion.

NADAC has a nice information sheet about Gambler's but take that info and do a video about it would be a great idea.

I've only done Gambler's a few times and I know if I was at a trial I would like to refresh my memory and watching a quick video before I went would be great.

For that matter there could also be a general briefing type video too.
Good Luck
No collars
What ever the leash options are during the COVID era
Try for 6 feet separation between people and dogs
Have fun
Ed & Tres
Dino (At the Bridge)
Morristown, NJ

Off Course Agility Podcast
available on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher and Anchor

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 05:58:20 AM »
Lynn this video may help-  Chris did last summer and it shows how to play Gamblers

Mary P.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:56:15 AM »
I think an updated video would be a great idea!

The video we did was before the class was fully finished, so some of the things have actually changed since that was released.

We'll get on it :)

Liane B

• Judge
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 06:39:32 PM »
I think having a Gamblers briefing video, and a general trial briefing video is a great idea!! Easily then something participants can be asked to review before the trial!
 Liane B

Lynn Broderick

• Trial Secretary
  • "Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone"
    • www.petworksbuffalo.com
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »
just wanted to see if there was any progress on a Gamblers briefing video? 

Hopefully we'll be able to hold our trial in 2 weeks- Gamblers is on Friday :)

Lynn
Up and Over Dog Sports
Lynn Broderick
Up and Over Dog Sports & Four Seasons Agility Club
and Team Agileblur- Amber, Maverick, and Riley (at the Bridge)

Jan

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 04:50:17 AM »
Saw the video about Gamblers during the pandemic and noticed that the timer was visible during the run. Is this common practice or is 'guessing' your time while you are in the ring part of the Gamblers challenge?

ricbonner

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »
Saw the video about Gamblers during the pandemic and noticed that the timer was visible during the run. Is this common practice or is 'guessing' your time while you are in the ring part of the Gamblers challenge?

My Cody has about 30 Qs in Elite Gamblers and we have never had a visible timer during any of our runs.  Honestly I think it would be a distraction and self defeating to look at a timer during a gambler's run.  Personally I wouldn't want it.

My general gamblers strategy is I try to plan the shortest path possible with the best gamble approach to finish near 50 obstacle points and try for the time bonus points.  I want to get in, get the gamble, and get out.  This way I can maximise the value of the last hoop - it can be worth as much as 11 points.  That is the highest value obstacle but only if it is scored in time.  That way if a bar drops or a contact is missed, the time points will carry us to enough points for the Q.  I usually try to find a couple 10 point sequences to throw in, so the gamble will provide about 25, plus the two 10 point sequences, with some extra obstacles in transition, plus the time bonus puts us normally around 60 points.  We usually only do about 12 to 14 obstacles.

JimmyS.

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 08:37:03 PM »

Those examples were at a NADAC Hosted Trial before Gamblers was official and we were still in the testing stage. Everyone at the trial agreed to run it for fun, no points, just so we could test how things were going to work. :)

Now that Gamblers is an official class, no, there cannot be a time clock.

~J