Author Topic: Champs??  (Read 5122 times)

agilityaddict2

Champs??
« on: June 16, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
Is there a date when we know whether or not Champs is going to happen in Gillette in Sept?

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
Re: Champs??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »
I think Chris had said by around August 1st it would have to be decided one way or the other. 

Gina Pizzo

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 09:11:21 PM »
August 1st was our deadline for us personally.  I know a lot of our competitors need to know way before that, so I'm hoping we'll have a better idea by July.

I was feeling decent a couple weeks ago, and now the case numbers are rising pretty steadily, so I'm not feeling quite so good about it now.

The big issue is social distancing.     We could pretty easily run the rings in such a way that it meets all of the criteria for safety.   But the crating area is a HUGE issue if social distancing requirements still have to be met.

It would essentially mean that everyone has to crate from their cars.      And at a certain point, if we take away too much of the stuff that makes the event special, the people being a big part of that, I'm not sure it's really worth doing.

So we'll see how things are going by July, fingers crossed

agilityaddict2

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
Well, I can pretty much guarantee that social distancing is here to stay for the long haul and will still be in place  in September. Have not been to Gillette, so i dont know crating situation, are they horse stalls?  If so maybe we could use every other one. Since so many people are able to take advantage of the video runs maybe the criteria for entry ( going back to original criteria) can be modified if space becomes an issue doing it that way. Just a thought, please dont crucify me!!For myself, anywhere that says crating out of my car, is an instant Nope not going.

Amy McGovern

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 09:02:59 AM »
It's one giant room.  Horse stalls feel like they would actually work (Ohio had plenty of room to spread out!).  Gillette crating is in all in a HUGE room.  It is a nice room but just one room...
Amy and the schnauzers

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 02:23:58 PM »
Yeah no, the crating for Gillette is a 120' X 350' room.

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 06:12:29 PM »
Still hoping Champs happens, but not at all confident.  I would set up crates in the room normally; but now, even if I’m in the furthest away RV site, even if it rains or snows - I will only “crate” in my RV.   I wonder if you could get a vague count of how many others would too?  Poll?  Just a thought.

Diane

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 05:27:30 AM »
Still hoping Champs happens, but not at all confident.  I would set up crates in the room normally; but now, even if I’m in the furthest away RV site, even if it rains or snows - I will only “crate” in my RV.   I wonder if you could get a vague count of how many others would too?  Poll?  Just a thought.

Diane
I will probably be using my RV only.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Sarah Fix

• Judge
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 03:09:19 AM »
Maybe if all the RVers would agree to crate out of the RV's, that might take some pressure off the indoor crating. 
Sarah Fix
Breeze,Razz,Boogie & Jinks

Cathie Cage

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 05:47:57 AM »
Maybe if all the RVers would agree to crate out of the RV's, that might take some pressure off the indoor crating. 
   I really like that idea Sarah!! I would work out of my RV!!
Cathie Cage

Billie Rosen

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 01:57:20 PM »
I would also probably crate out of my RV, but why is that different than people crating out of their cars?  I think we could still have a great Champs with everyone crating in cars and RVs though, not a lot of difference than crating in horse stalls.  At the two NADAC trials I just went to, we had a fine time socializing, but staying well away from others.  I think the thing that we will lose, though, is an audience, since a lot of people are not going to want to sit inside and watch the runs.
Billie Rosen, Phoenix, AZ    agilek9s@phopaws.org
MACH 7 Klev’r (Border Terr) CDX RE MXS2 MJG2 NAP NJP MXF MFG TQX T2B5 ME CA/NADAC NATCH 30 VERS.NATCH 22/USDAA LAA-GOLD ADCH PDCH-Silver/ NW3
Truk’n  (Border Ter) CA,AX,AXJ,XF,SE,NATCH, V-NATCH 2/ AD/ NW3/SCA,SIA,SEA,SBA,SHDN
Kix puppy in training

Dieselblonde

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 01:57:52 PM »
I plan on crating out my RV.

arne

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 08:21:35 PM »
I will crate out of my RV.   I have done it for the last 3 champs and it has worked great.  It was especially easy last year because of the great on-line viewing of the event.  That made it really easy to know when you had leave to line up for your run. I know everyone has their own routines and what they like but I can say for me that I did not feel I missed out by not crating inside.   

Arne Lindberg

Amy McGovern

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 07:58:03 AM »
We usually crate out of our RV but we are not bringing the RV this year (not letting a 16 year old who will have only been licensed a month help me tow for 16 hours when he could just help me drive the van he's used to instead!).  So I am hoping that inside can be less crowded and doable for those of us without the RV option!
Amy and the schnauzers

ricbonner

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 07:28:07 PM »
I would also probably crate out of my RV, but why is that different than people crating out of their cars?  I think we could still have a great Champs with everyone crating in cars and RVs though, not a lot of difference than crating in horse stalls.  At the two NADAC trials I just went to, we had a fine time socializing, but staying well away from others.  I think the thing that we will lose, though, is an audience, since a lot of people are not going to want to sit inside and watch the runs.

I would think not everyone has a car that is conducive to holding dogs within it of most of the day.  Cars get hot, cars have windows, cars are not especially secure.  I crate out of my van almost exclusively now.  I normally have it running with the AC and locked.  But I do have concerns about where I do that.  Some areas are more risky than others to leave an unattended running vehicle, even if its locked.