Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Wickets
« Last post by Sara Langston on Today at 07:20:16 AM »
Where do I find the specifications for the measuring wickets???  I know I saw them years ago, however, I can't seem to find anything on them now.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks. 

Sara
General Discussion / Re: Teeter
« Last post by Billie Rosen on Today at 06:25:49 AM »
Out of curiosity, are the new teeters more consistent? As I understand it the nadac issue with it was the teeter would fall with some force and that force would be absorbed by dog legs. But with a small dog I've found difficultly with the tip point being soo vastly different for her. I was just curious if this issue has been fixed too with the new teeters or just the force with which it hits the ground?
redu

Many of the newer teeters are much better constructed and have ways of reducing the concussion.  Also, I think teaching methods are improved.  Our club has taught the teeter since the club started in 1993, and yes, some dogs don't like the teeter, but many do.  My dogs do teeters without any problem.  All that said, I think NADAC is fine without it and I don't know if there is a real need to bring it back.
« Last post by mstomel on June 16, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
Out of curiosity, are the new teeters more consistent? As I understand it the nadac issue with it was the teeter would fall with some force and that force would be absorbed by dog legs. But with a small dog I've found difficultly with the tip point being soo vastly different for her. I was just curious if this issue has been fixed too with the new teeters or just the force with which it hits the ground?
« Last post by BeckyAH on June 15, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »
I agree with your point entirely,  Iím just not sure why it matters that the dogs are having a different experience?

Weave poles are vastly different for large and small dogs.  Large dogs need to flex their body and weave,  where as a small dog it becomes more of a slalom.

I understand the concept,  but unless those two groups are competing against each other I donít see where it causes an issue. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS!

I will never do anything with a teeter if I have a choice, and since it'll be years and optional I have a choice so no big deal.   But to be clear, I don't love them so I'm not pushing for their inclusion here, but.

I have trained and competed with small and medium/large dogs and the experience is different with almost all the equipment, even the tunnels (those ribs can be a *thing* for the little dogs, the diameter can be one for big ones). Strides to get over the contacts.   The fact that the little ones pretty consistently feel the need to jump the bottom bar on hoops, even.   They all come with different challenges depending on the size, speed, and stride length of the dog. That's okay.

Just about the only way to avoid that, that I can think of, is to go to TDAA.
General Discussion / Re: Proposed updates to Bonus Program
« Last post by Chris Nelson on June 15, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
Iíll post tonight!

It was pretty heavily favored to the Ďyesí side of things,  but Iíll post the real numbers

« Last post by Chris Nelson on June 15, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
I agree with your point entirely,  Iím just not sure why it matters that the dogs are having a different experience?

Weave poles are vastly different for large and small dogs.  Large dogs need to flex their body and weave,  where as a small dog it becomes more of a slalom.

I understand the concept,  but unless those two groups are competing against each other I donít see where it causes an issue. 

General Discussion / Re: Proposed updates to Bonus Program
« Last post by Kyle on June 15, 2018, 07:37:32 AM »
Just curious - how did the voting go? I'm wondering what the results were!

Thanks,
Kyle
« Last post by garypaula on June 15, 2018, 07:11:44 AM »
My previous post about the difference in the teeter for large and small dogs kind of missed the point I was actually trying to make.  Of course, the small dogs are only compared to the small dogs and large to large.  However, what I am stressing is that the experience of the teeter is entirely different for the larger and smaller dogs.  The larger dog simply goes on to the teeter and the next thing he knows, he is at the end of it and it is hitting the ground (oversimplification, I realize).  The small dog has to go to the yellow part of the teeter and then wait patiently while it eventually tips enough to hit the ground.  These are two very different experiences and, in many ways, can't be equated.  I don't think there is any other obstacle in agility where this is the case.  For example, the larger-striding dog may get up and over the A-Frame faster than the small dog, but the experience for both dogs is essentially the same.  To make the experience the same for all dogs on the teeter, you would have to use progressively heavier teeters as the dogs got bigger, so that they (also) had to learn to wait patiently in the yellow as the teeter slowly tipped to the ground.  Obviously, this is an absurd concept, but it illustrates my point.
« Last post by Chris Nelson on June 14, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »
Okay.

We donít do that.  So one less thing to worry about :)

« Last post by Foomin Z on June 14, 2018, 05:56:08 PM »
I do AKC, as well as NADAC, so we have to be able to do the teeter.  However, I do NOT like the teeter for many reasons.  I don't know what the pneumatic teeters are like, but here is my suggestion:  Make it so the teeter goes down at the same rate for all sizes of dogs.  In order to compete at the higher levels, time becomes a significant factor.  The difference between a Golden Retriever and a Papillon is huge in the time it takes the teeter to reach the ground even if the smaller dog runs clear to the end.  To me, the larger dog has an automatic advantage on the teeter, so not one of my favorite things.  As a matter of fact, there is a video of a Papillon and a Border Collie running at the AKC National Agility Championships a few years ago and the only reason the larger dog had the faster time (tenths of a second) is because of the teeter.  On the rest of the course, the Papillon was actually faster than the Border Collie.
Why would a border collie be competing against a papillon?

As one example, the Westminster Kennel Club only crowns one winner as their agility champion for the year among all the heights. They do some kind of factor to account for the small dogs yardage, but it still seems to favor large dogs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10