Author Topic: Stakes class at Champs and scores  (Read 1894 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Stakes class at Champs and scores
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
Hi, group.
    Attached are the scores for Levels 1-3 for this years Stakes class.  Congratulations to everyone and this year was a super group to work with!  Awesome job!

I did not break this set of results into eight different files like the Regular division.  I know that the stakes people like to see their scores all together in one file.  If people can't read it, I will break it down to 8 different files, but I would prefer not to!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Jean Sather (McCreight)

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Stakes class at Champs and scores
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
Thanks Sharon!   :)
Jean & Tux
Montana

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:13:15 PM »
Will the stakes classes be divided into Level 1, 2 and 3 next year?  What was the deciding factor to determine the different levels?
Will the lines be similar distances next year as they were this year at  champs?
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:49:31 PM »
Will the stakes classes be divided into Level 1, 2 and 3 next year?  What was the deciding factor to determine the different levels?
Will the lines be similar distances next year as they were this year at  champs?

Yes, there will be Levels 1, 2, and 3 from now on.

There is a huge formula calculated from the "types" of bonuses earned (a Regular bonus giving much more value than a non-Regular bonus, etc.)

I am rather wrapped up right now to post it and have to answer a host of questions.... simply put.... if you don't earn any 15 or 20 point bonuses in Regular, then you aren't eligible for the Stakes classes next year....  and the more you earn the higher the level you will compete at.....

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
For those that are considering entering Stakes next year at champs, a couple "heads up".... Most, if not ALL, courses will require a start line stay. 

I hope that people realize that "Stakes" is NOT just about big distance.......... it is about connection on any and all types of challenges, including "close up" ones.......

As Gary set courses this year, it was rather shocking to hear some of the remarks regarding a "lack of start line stay" and how that was too difficult for Stakes dogs............ again, a Stakes can (should????) be able to do ANYTHING...... a Stakes should not have weaknesses.............  if there is a weakness, then it shall be found within those courses........... including a couple of the courses where the dogs HAD to come right up next to the handlers and then leave again and come back and leave again.......... the handlers were not allowed to stay 40-50 away from their dogs........... again, Stakes dogs should be able to work close, work far, take directional cues with the handler right next to them and take cues from 60+ feet away.  They should have start line stays and also the ability to finish a course with a handler running alongside them, or the handler on the other side of the ring.

Somehow the origins of the Stakes program has been morphed into nothing but BIG distance and that is not what the program was founded upon............. it was founded upon the total connection of handler and dog, regardless of the closeness or the distance or the challenge placed before them.   They shall face all challenges and perform them with beauty and grace and flow.......... with no bobbles between dog and handler.... if there is a weakness, it will be found............ if there isn't then you shall look glorious throughout the event!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lindsey Cooper

• Trial Secretary
    • Mountain Dog Sports
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 07:36:39 AM »
I'm quite happy to hear about the changes for the Stakes! I've never been to fond of being behind the dog for every obstacle and like getting a lead out and working with Brisco as he works close and far. It's definitely a challenge to get the dog to work close when they've been doing a lot of distance, but it's fun to push both boundries.

Lindsey

Rebecca Kriz

• portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
Just to be clear, do Open 15 pt Qs still count?  Will Novice 15 pt Qs have any impact on level?  I hope I'm understanding this right, and the 'minimum 5 bonus runs' are 'lifetime Qs,' which allow you to enter Stakes despite what year you earned them, while you need a minimum of 10 points to qualify for the year you want to enter.  If that's the case, I better start working on qualifying with Tru for 2014 this year, haha.  I really liked what I saw with the level format of Stakes and hope it's here to stay.
Rebecca, Truly & Mud

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
Just to be clear, do Open 15 pt Qs still count?  Will Novice 15 pt Qs have any impact on level?  I hope I'm understanding this right, and the 'minimum 5 bonus runs' are 'lifetime Qs,' which allow you to enter Stakes despite what year you earned them, while you need a minimum of 10 points to qualify for the year you want to enter.  If that's the case, I better start working on qualifying with Tru for 2014 this year, haha.  I really liked what I saw with the level format of Stakes and hope it's here to stay.

Yes, 15 point bonus runs still count in the totals, at all levels.  The 5 bonus runs are in the "current year" only for eligibility for each years event.  Once you are entered, "then" the lifetime records come into effect to determine level of entry.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Rebecca Kriz

• portfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 10:43:30 AM »
Thanks.  I guess I was confused because it said "Entry into any Stakes level at Championships - 10 points per year", and one Regular 20 bonus was worth 10 points.  The 5 bonuses a year makes more sense with how we've qualified in the past.
Rebecca, Truly & Mud

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »
Thanks.  I guess I was confused because it said "Entry into any Stakes level at Championships - 10 points per year", and one Regular 20 bonus was worth 10 points.  The 5 bonuses a year makes more sense with how we've qualified in the past.

We are talking apples and oranges............. first you have to qualify to enter the current years Stakes competition at the Champs............ that reequires 5 bonus qualifiers and three of those five must be in Regular.

AFTER you meet those requirements, then we look at the second listing of data to determine what level of Stakes you will be competing at.

The easiest is to totally ignore the data I posted and only worry about earning those 5 bonus qualifiers.  The rest has no valid input until you meet the current years criteria for entry.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
I have removed my post with the data for "Level" for the Stakes program.  People are confusing the need for yearly criteria and the data to determine what "Level" they will compete at once they meet the years qualifying criteria.

So we will simplify it by only giving the qualifying data to enter and then we will discuss with those qualified what level they will compete at!!  Much easier!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »
I hope I'm understanding this right, and the 'minimum 5 bonus runs' are 'lifetime Qs,' which allow you to enter Stakes despite what year you earned them,

That would be incorrect.  Bonuses earned prior to August 1st, 2012 do not count for entry into the 2013 Stakes Championship.  Bonuses must be earned between August 1, 2012 and July 31, 2013.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:04:53 AM »
Sharon just said something that made my jaw drop...doing a "stay" is too difficult for a Stakes dog??? What??? I am...well...stumped by that one... It did occur to me during Championships (not just Stakes) that there was a "theme". The theme I saw repeatedly was about *training*. Yes, I did note that more than one course just about "required" a stay. I found a "hole" in my young dog's training - cross behind at the A frame!  :-[  Not having tight serpentines blew some dogs out of the water. But, back to the Stakes class - I have always been told that there will be at least one point on a course where the dog has to come in and then go out. That's what one of my trainers would have called "having the dog be flexible". Training our dogs to be totally still, then go fast, come in and then go out is all about being flexible. Maybe we should just call the Stakes class the "Flex Class"!  ;D
-Kyle

For those that are considering entering Stakes next year at champs, a couple "heads up".... Most, if not ALL, courses will require a start line stay. 

I hope that people realize that "Stakes" is NOT just about big distance.......... it is about connection on any and all types of challenges, including "close up" ones.......

As Gary set courses this year, it was rather shocking to hear some of the remarks regarding a "lack of start line stay" and how that was too difficult for Stakes dogs............ again, a Stakes can (should????) be able to do ANYTHING...... a Stakes should not have weaknesses.............  if there is a weakness, then it shall be found within those courses........... including a couple of the courses where the dogs HAD to come right up next to the handlers and then leave again and come back and leave again.......... the handlers were not allowed to stay 40-50 away from their dogs........... again, Stakes dogs should be able to work close, work far, take directional cues with the handler right next to them and take cues from 60+ feet away.  They should have start line stays and also the ability to finish a course with a handler running alongside them, or the handler on the other side of the ring.

Somehow the origins of the Stakes program has been morphed into nothing but BIG distance and that is not what the program was founded upon............. it was founded upon the total connection of handler and dog, regardless of the closeness or the distance or the challenge placed before them.   They shall face all challenges and perform them with beauty and grace and flow.......... with no bobbles between dog and handler.... if there is a weakness, it will be found............ if there isn't then you shall look glorious throughout the event!!

Sharon
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Jackie

• Judge
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »
Ha!  My stakes dog has a great start line...until she sees those purple curtains!!  Must be my adrenaline that is cueing her that this is not a regular trial!  Not one broken stay at this weekend's trial.  And her contacts were pretty good, too!!  Guess I'd better buy some purple curtains to hang around the training field!!
Jackie, Risk, Journey and Mick Mack Snack Attack!