Author Topic: problems with "Show unread posts since your last visit"  (Read 1502 times)

Murrelet Halterman

• Judge
problems with "Show unread posts since your last visit"
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »
For the last two days this option has stopped working for me. I can see the unread posts when I click on the "click here to try all unread topics" in the purple bar, but the other option had been working fine for months. I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else,  and what some thoughts might be - is this a setting I somehow changed while sleepwalking (since I haven't consciously changed anything for weeks), or is this a Forum issue?

Thanks for any thoughts/help!

Murrelet
Murrelet Halterman
Avian Researcher At Large

Jean Sather (McCreight)

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: problems with "Show unread posts since your last visit"
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »
It's been working fine for me, Murrelet ....  I have occasionally had that experience previously, but then it seems to fix itself ....  and I don't change anything ...
Jean, Zack & Tux
Montana

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »
I am no longer getting this tab at the top right when I log in.  I've had this problem for a few weeks now.  I do have "Unread Posts" on the bar at the top of each group, but I used to have one for "All Unread posts".
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
Try hitting the arrow in the top right corner...I am betting you also can't see your profile picture at the moment.

Murrelet Halterman

• Judge
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 02:45:59 PM »
I have the link (and my profile pic), it just wasn't working. Just now it showed several new posts, but not all of them. No worries - I'll just keep at it. Hopefully it will magically heal itself!

Thanks, Murrelet
Murrelet Halterman

DeafSheltieMom

• Course builder
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
I've had problems off and on with the unread posts button showing all of the unread posts.  Sometimes I get them all, but sometimes afterwards when I go to the Home page, I notice there are more new posts to read that "show unread..." didn't show.

So, no, it isn't just you, Murrelet...  but I've never run into the problem of it not showing any of the new posts.  Just some of them.  Haven't quite figured out which the program chooses.
-dayle
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to Alva, Hutch and Tesla

David Tharle

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:00:38 PM »
This does not address all the issues discussed here, but one problem with this type of forum occurs when people choose to just leave and let themselves time out (Designated at Log in) rather than hitting the "Logout" tab.  They may be gone, but the program doesn't know they've left and their session continues until time is up.  Any post(s) made during the remaining minutes will not show up under "Show unread posts since last visit". 

For example if someone "Logs in" for 60 minutes (I believe this is the default), only stays a couple minutes and leaves without hitting the "Log out" tab, any thing that is posted in the next 58 minutes will not show up during your next visit.  Even  closing the browser is not enough, you need to Log Out.

Dave
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Murrelet Halterman

• Judge
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
Well, it seems to be all better today.  At least, it's showing lots of unread posts. Just ghosts in the wires, I guess!

Dave - I will try that if the problem persists. If I try 5 solutions, one is bound to work ;o)

Cheers, Murrelet
Murrelet Halterman

LeeAnne McAdam

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »
This does not address all the issues discussed here, but one problem with this type of forum occurs when people choose to just leave and let themselves time out (Designated at Log in) rather than hitting the "Logout" tab.  They may be gone, but the program doesn't know they've left and their session continues until time is up.  Any post(s) made during the remaining minutes will not show up under "Show unread posts since last visit". 

For example if someone "Logs in" for 60 minutes (I believe this is the default), only stays a couple minutes and leaves without hitting the "Log out" tab, any thing that is posted in the next 58 minutes will not show up during your next visit.  Even  closing the browser is not enough, you need to Log Out.

Dave

Wow!  I didn't know that.  I love it when I find out something new about computers...I need all the help I can get!  Thanks, Dave!
Lee Anne