Author Topic: Qualifying ribbons for the finals  (Read 1875 times)

tonyterry

Qualifying ribbons for the finals
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
Being a newbie to the whole championship show and all, was just wondering IF there is a way that at CHAMPS level if there is a possibility to give/hand out FINALS QUALIFYING ribbons that state FINAL QUALIFIERS?? Being our first time it would have been really nice to walk away with a QUALIFING CHAMPSIONSHIP RIBBON Even if there had to be donations made or maybe a $1.00 added to each entrant to the entry to cover the cost of the ribbons. Or were there ribbons and I just don't know about them?

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Re: Qualifying ribbons for the finals
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:37:20 PM »
We do not calculate "qualifying" status at the champs..... the Championships are all about the event itself and yes, after the event, we go through and calculate which runs had zero course faults and zero time faults and give qualifying points to the dog's records.  But we really don't want to make the Championships all about who "qualified" for points.... it is about the mental and physical stamina that is tested over eight rounds and who rises to the top under those conditions.  We just started allowing for qualifying points to be added to the dogs records the past couple of years and we tend to not highlight individual qualifying rounds per se.  After the Finals round, we are intensely calculating the top three placements in each group for the immediate awards presentation afterwards.  That is why we do not give out placement ribbons for round 8.... we only place the first 7 rounds.  There is no way for Marj to get the results and put up placement ribbons before the awards ceremony begins. 

For anyone making the finals, the glory of that is quite huge!!  To be called out for one more run is a major high!!  Whether or not one qualifies in that round would take away some of that glory.  I don't think that anyone is running "for a Q" at the Champs.... it is just something that "happens" while teams are running for the top cummulative scores.

I don't know where the time would come from if we needed to calculate each run for "qualifying" purposes and to give out ribbons for such.

For people to see their records later and see a Q with the club being the "NADAC Championships" is always a bit of icing on the cake after the event is over!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Wild Terriers

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Qualifying ribbons for the finals
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:30:10 PM »
I know I will always be proud that Sammi's very first Elite Regular Q was at Champs last year - I mean how cool is that?  And, this year we almost made finals - the first few days after Champs I was thinking how we just missed finals - 6 in my division went back and we were 7th, but now that a few more days have passed, I realize how cool that my baby dog and I, and Sammi not being at her peak, almost made finals?  Especially since just a year ago we had never even run an Elite regular course....  The Q's are cool to see from Champs, but certainly not my focus. . .   Thank you Sharon for all he extras you provide and then the Q's are just another surprise after all the fun is done

Still in the glow of "after champs".....

Karen and the Wild Terriers
Karen and the Wild Terriers

tonyterry

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »
OOPs I think that I phrased that wrong!! What I was meaning was that you got a ribbon becasue you made the finals not that you got a Q. SOrry about that I was not thinking of a Q meaning qualified for points I was just meaning a ribbon becaue you made the FINALS just as a MEMENTO that you made the finals.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55:22 AM »
Being a newbie to the whole championship show and all, was just wondering IF there is a way that at CHAMPS level if there is a possibility to give/hand out FINALS QUALIFYING ribbons that state FINAL QUALIFIERS?? Being our first time it would have been really nice to walk away with a QUALIFING CHAMPSIONSHIP RIBBON Even if there had to be donations made or maybe a $1.00 added to each entrant to the entry to cover the cost of the ribbons. Or were there ribbons and I just don't know about them?

I think she is not looking for Q ribbons for each round, but for a ribbon to show that she qualified for the finals round on Sunday.

As Karen also said about her dogs, I was also so proud of Lily last year earning her first Elite Regular Q and her Elite Regular title at Champs last year.  I didn't realize that we earned those Q's so it was AWESOME to find out later that we had done that.  It was only the second elite round she had ever run.  Champs isn't about the Q's, but about having fun at a higher level and meeting new NADAC
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
OOPs I think that I phrased that wrong!! What I was meaning was that you got a ribbon becasue you made the finals not that you got a Q. SOrry about that I was not thinking of a Q meaning qualified for points I was just meaning a ribbon becaue you made the FINALS just as a MEMENTO that you made the finals.

That is a great idea!!  We could do that as we announced who made it to finals..... good idea...

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
Hey that is pretty cool idea!!!  I about fainted when I heard Paisley made the finals  ;D  this is a dog that has been so stressed at Champs every year that my focus is to make sure she doesnt know it is Champs and just have fun!!  She ran like a Champ this year.... so terribly proud of her... so a ribbon that reminded me that FUN is ALWAYS the answer would have been cool!!  NADAC is the best  :P  (but be prepared Sharon cause I would have probably cried just receiving a ribbon for making the finals with her)
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com
Bozeman, MT

Rsquared

• Scooter's Mom
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »
.... it is about the mental and physical stamina that is tested over eight rounds and who rises to the top under those conditions.
Sharon
You're so right about that!  I know I got worse as the week went on.  On one of the latter runs I was totally oblivious to the distance line.  As my instructor said, "You didn't just cross it.  You stomped on it!"  Well that's what happens where you're brain dead and running on little sleep.  So yes, you were definitely testing the physical and mental stamina of the competitors.  It's grueling, but fun all the same.
Ronni in San Diego with Scooter, Ollie & Xtra Crispy (R.I.P. Sage)

tonyterry

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »
Yes Audri that is what I meant, just a ribbon showing you made the finals- Sorry Sharon that I didn't say that clearly to begin with- silly newbies.  Yes when Tony made the finals I about pushed him over the railing I was so excited. What a thrill that was and a Finals ribbon would just be some icing on the cake I am glad you like the idea.

KathieT

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »
I love that idea.  After a week of nerves, I was shocked to hear my name for finals and a ribbon acknowledgement would have been wonderful memento.

Kathie
Kathie
Beulah WY

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
Terry, I love your idea as well.  I, too, was bowled over when it was announced that we had made the finals and I think I'm still in awe!  Very proud of my Westie Boy and I agree that it would have been nice to have a ribbon to commemorate making the finals.  But just knowing we were there and had a nice run, makes me incredibly happy!  I guess next time we’ll need to make sure we place in the top 3!
Paulette Couture
Cody (West Highland White Terrier): All Around Natch 2, NATCh 14, Vers NATCh 13, 12,500 Lifetime Points

Loki - Just beginning his agility career

Suzy Winkle

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
Love that idea!

But also, I was just so thrilled that Sammy Blue and I made it to the finals.  It was quite emotional for me!  The honor of getting one more run was in and itself a "ribbon-esque" moment.  :)
Suzy Winkle

Murrelet Halterman

• Judge
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
That is a wonderful idea! I, too, was really surprised, and so very excited to get to the Finals! It ended up being one of our best and most joyous runs, and to get a ribbon? Wow - what goes on top of the icing on the cake? That would have been so very cool! Agree with Jeannie - there was the real possibility of tears at that!

Murrelet, Pipit, Tui, and Malko
Murrelet Halterman
Avian Researcher At Large

Lynn Saunders

• Trial Secretary
  • Karosel Sheltie 3-Pack
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
That is a great idea! Having a memento to remember that you were called back "for The BIG Show" (Finals) would be awesome!! Good thinking Terry! I hope that can become a reality next Champs! So proud that so many Ready 2 Run members made it to The BIG Show!!

Lynn Saunders
Truckee, CA
Where the Stars Shine Brighter...

tonyterry

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »
I am so happy that I got so many Thumbs Up on my idea of having Finals Ribbons. I think that making the FIANLS is HUGE and a ribbon to take home  would be so much fun. Thank you Sharon for your time.