Author Topic: A radical idea – un-wired humans at agility trials ….  (Read 2606 times)

Jean Sather (McCreight)

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
A radical idea – un-wired humans at agility trials ….
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »
I realize that I may be in a tiny minority here, but I for one am missing the pre-smart phone, pre-I-Pad days (not so very long ago) when handlers at agility trials interacted with each other, watched and cheered for other handlers and dogs running, had live conversations with both old friends and new acquaintances, and lived in the REAL moment rather than being totally engrossed in their wireless devices any time they are not actually running a dog or are assigned to some specific job.  I totally understand that some folks need their cell phones/pagers turned on due to family or work considerations.  Most folks who need to talk on the phone leave the building to do so.  And even I turned my cell phone on and left the building to share the moment with an absent friend when Zack earned his NATCH/V-NATCH.  I understand all that.  But I for one am reluctant to “interrupt” a person who is busy with their wireless device, because whatever they are doing may really be much more important than having a conversation with me!  Maybe I’m just showing my age here … but is it really necessary to be on-line ALL the time?

How about a new slogan and a new philosophy – NADAC: where the dogs run naked and the humans are un-wired?  :)

Just mulling .... should I be putting on my flame suit?  :)
Jean, Zack & Tux
Montana

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
Re: A radical idea – un-wired humans at agility trials ….
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:04 AM »
Jean,  I absolutely agree!!!!!  Thanks for putting it in words. 
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane, Mac, Blaze, & Rocket

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »
Jean, I couldn't agree more!!  The hand-held devices sometimes make me nuts.... sometimes I want to scream when I am trying to talk to someone (even my kids) and they have to keep looking down at who just texted them...

It was amazing at the number of people who were on their I-pads and I-phones during the awards at Champs!!  You look out at the people and all of their heads are down, while they type furiously on their I-whatevers.......

I too, am a bit old fashioned and miss being able to actually "talk" to people at a trial.... once home, I join that wireless age, but face to face it is truly nice to "see" who you are looking at and not the top of their heads!  It has gotten to the point that you feel you are holding people back from their "life" when you talk to them and their phone keeps beeping and vibrating.

So, Jean, you and I can talk when I see you at a trial!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

LeeAnne McAdam

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »
Count me with the un-wired crowd!  I go to agility trials and play with my dogs to get away from everything that comes along with being connected to a "device."  So maybe my age is showing, too, but I'm okay with that.  I do like FB and the like because I do feel somewhat more in touch with people I don't get to see on a regular basis, but I don't want that intruding on my dog time!
Lee Anne

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
There are times at trials I really wish I was "connected" so I could share my latest accomplishment with friends who are not there, but as a rule, I really enjoy talking to and hearing about what has happened with the friends who ARE at the trial and would be offended if they were so busy with a "hand held device" to carry on  an "in person" conversation.  Guess I'm showing my age as well, but I vote with Jean and for "Un-wired humans"!!
Linda Anderson & the Daxes
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »
Where do I buy my ticket for the " un - wired " train  AND get fitted for a flame suit ??!!

No matter the size of the trial, the "wired" people tend to outnumber the " un-wired " ! I tend to keep my phone at the crating area, mainly to know the time ! Knock wood, family emergencies have dwindled in the past year. I enjoy talking & catching up with friends - face to face ! Most of the time I wouldn't have time to play/text on my phone - tough to bar set &/or leash run or course build with a phone attached to you ..... although I have seen it done !!!

Bernie Doyle .. happily un-wired in IL
Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 01:29:07 PM »
I am generallly too busy at a trial to be texting, FBνng etc....  and yes I prefer to watch and cheer teams on course and save the posting and texting until after the trial.  So Jean if you are are ever at a trial in Australia you can talk to me :)
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Heidi Konesko

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:46:58 PM »
Count me among the un-wired! I don't feel like interrupting anyone who is "away" on their smart devices either.  I don't even have a tv or laptop or wifi anything with me when I'm camping at trials for the weekend, and I love being away from it.  I do tend to bother anyone with a device for weather forecasts all weekend long, but hey, maybe that is just another excuse to talk to someone.   8)
Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Molly and Sophie at the Bridge

A Jussero

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »
I would also love to see more real people interaction at trials, it seems that I'm one of the few who is not "connected" and feel I should not try to converse with those who are plugged in.  Thank you for bringing this up!
Ann J.

KathieT

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
Most of the time I wouldn't have time to play/text on my phone - tough to bar set &/or leash run or course build with a phone attached to you ..... although I have seen it done

Bernie Doyle .. happily un-wired in IL

I am "older" person and just don't see the need for a phone to always be in someone's hands.    Maybe we could get more people to volunteer if they didn't feel the "need" to be on their phones all the time. 

Kathie & Red
Kathie
Beulah WY

resqagility

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
Great slogan Jean!!
Debbie Mason

Shirley Wallace

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
AMEN and count me in on the un-wired and un-texting.  Mostly I can't read text messages anyway because I don't understand the "language"!  I might keep my cell phone on by the crates in case a family member needs to contact me, but that's all my phone does - make calls and tell time.  Guess I'm part of the "older" generation too! 
Jean, you can talk to me anytime face to face at a trial.
Shirley in MN
Shirley Wallace

SpringCrew

• NADAC Addict
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »
Hey Jean if you see me typing on my phone, feel free to interrupt me.  Much rather talk to you. :-) Being a bit of a geek I love my smartphone.  I'm no youngster but if I'm just sitting around I'll jump online to see what is happening.  Of course I'm not much into the texting thing.  There are time it can work but I find email works as well most of the time.  Calling is easier if there is going to be a back and forth.  Guess I'm getting old too.

While I could come to Champs without electronics I would still be "wired". :-)
Tim Spring
If you aren't having fun you're not playing NADAC!

LJKing

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:20:17 PM »
Well, maybe my eyes haven't been open, but this is not something I've noticed at our local trials. I was thinking back to the WAG trial on the weekend and all I can remember is a lot of people talking to a lot of other people, cheering, and general fun. At the Canby FRs we're all working or running...no time for texting!

Lynda
Lynda King

Wild Terriers

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 07:24:24 PM »
I do have to confess to posting Jean Wilkins' picture on FB during the awards, but wouldn't have missed the presentations for anything!!!!  For the most part though, when I am at a trial, I leave my phone either in my car or at my chair. . . .   Late afternoons and evenings at Champs were a little different as I made myself available to my daughter, but normally I find if it's in my pocket and there is a down moment, I am much more apt to use it, just because it's there, and I too prefer face to face, so I leave it elsewhere, somewhere I have to think about going to get it. . . .  . . .  I'm on board Jean!!! 

Karen and the wild Terriers
Karen and the Wild Terriers