Author Topic: A radical idea – un-wired humans at agility trials ….  (Read 2510 times)

Mark Buehl

• Judge
  • Howdy y'all
Re: A radical idea – un-wired humans at agility trials ….
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »
I recently made the same observation to my wife. We were at a flyball tournament and I looked around our teams setup. 8 teammates, sitting around, and ALL of them with a phone in their hand. Told my wife, five years ago we would have all been sitting here conversing with each other. I do like the conviemce, but miss the human interaction.

Mark Buehl
Sent by R2 D2 or some other Droid

Mark Buehl
deep in the heart of Texas.

AgilityRocks!

• Freya's Studio Dog Collars
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »
Jean, you can interrupt me anytime!  I do use my phone for my side business stuff, so typically I'm answering product questions or renewing listings.  I do Facebook, but try to minimize it to after trial hours  ::)  It's a curse of my generation I guess  ;)
Bree Caldwell, Freya Dog, Sissy Girl, and Leonard H McCoy (in training)
Helena, MT

Kim Annis

• My Huckleberry Hounds-Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »
I'm with you Jean! I hate seeing people not engaged in the "here and now".  Admittedly, I'm kinda in the minority...outside of having a cell phone (that shockingly is JUST a phone...it doesn't text, doesn't do email, or do anything else but just be a phone!), I'm a totally unwired person. I have internet at home, but no tv, I don't do any social network stuff, and I don't own an 'i' anything. I don't think it has anything to do with "age", as I know both young and old people that are totally "plugged in". For me, it could be a by-product of where I live...living in a small rural town has it's advantages sometimes :) But you can count me in as someone to can talk to and cheer with...Live, Unwired and In Person...the next time I see you at a trial :)
Kim and Holly
(RIP Casey)
Libby, MT

Cindy

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:04 PM »
Well, maybe my eyes haven't been open, but this is not something I've noticed at our local trials. I was thinking back to the WAG trial on the weekend and all I can remember is a lot of people talking to a lot of other people, cheering, and general fun. At the Canby FRs we're all working or running...no time for texting!

Lynda

I agree Lynda!  I read Jean's post and thought she should have been at WAG this weekend - it was exactly what she described as her ideal trial.  So, Jean, come on over to Oregon and play with us!!

Cindy and the Beagles

Jean Sather (McCreight)

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 05:34:58 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the various responses!  It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way -- but also nice to hear from those of you who are wired and have encouraged me to "interrupt" you even if you appear to be "busy" on-line ...  You are probably much better at multi-tasking than I am! :-)

Like many others, I am online a lot too (my dogs would say "way too much" at home! :-) )-- and enjoy my FB friends a lot too -- I just save it for the end of the day, on trial weekends....
Jean, Zack & Tux
Montana

Cathie Cage

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 06:02:08 AM »
I am with the unwired!!!!   And it's not just at agility trials, it's everywhere! This summer I went to Hershey Park it's an amusement park. I was sitting on a bench just watching all the people. 9 out of 10 people walking by were looking or texting on their phones. It's like people are afraid they will miss something bring posted on a list or facebook. Didn't all you unwired people know that messages, texts and updates will vanish if not looked at immediately!!!  LOL

Cathie Cage who enjoys talking to people eye to eye, not eye to top of head!!!!
Cathie Cage

Cindy Conner

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
Jean, I totally agree with you and thanks for writing about this issue. After spending 40+ hours a week on a computer and wired all day at the office, I really enjoy unhooking myself from electronic devices and enjoying the great outdoors, my dogs or friends at agility trials.

It is not just during the agility trials that some folks cannot be without their wireless devices, but also at the potluck social events or other get-togethers in the evening. I was with five other friends at the camping area after a trial in May, enjoying some ice cream and drinks and good conversation, where one by one, each of these five friends pulls out their phones and starts texting. My phone was in the vehicle and I do not text. After about five minutes, I got up and left. I don’t even think these friends were aware that I had left.

Here’s to being old fashion, un-wired and wanting to talk with actual folks.
Cindy Conner
Clover, Tansy and Torrey

Jackie

• Judge
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
Yep, I miss the good old days before cell phones and computers and i pads.  Nice way to keep in touch, but face to face is much better! I remember we had an 800 number at our house so I could call Dave from the hotel room at trials.  And no one expected an immediate response to a message left on your answering machine.  Now, there is no getting away from it all!  I usually leave my phone in the car at trials.  I don't need to be distracted by it, and there is nothing that important that it can't wait until the end of the day!
Jackie, Risk, Journey and Mick Mack Snack Attack!

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 02:40:15 PM »
Well.... yeah I am "wired" (in more ways than just electronics  ;))  I would say that 99.9% of the time I am not doing anything extremely important when I am messing with my phone or iPad.  I dont care if people interupt me..... I am sure that if I was doing something important I would just ask politely to give me just a sec.

Most of the time if I am "playing" or listening to music, I am doing so to take my mind off of "something".  I am the type of person that needs an escape sometimes (to think).... some weekends I need more of that escape time than others. 

Or I am talking to my husband via text.... we enjoy keeping in touch  :-*

I love to visit with people during a trial.... but if I am in need of some time to myself or an escape I dont think it is bad or I should be critisized for it  ;D 
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com
Bozeman, MT

Deanna in OR

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »
I will confess that I am wired....and I'm a Vet Handler (it's not just a generational thing).  I usually keep my phone in the car, not out at the trial, and most places I trial at don't have internet access.  But I got the iPad specifically to help me become a better teammate to my dog, particularly at trials. 

I don't care if you interrupt me!....but I like to video my runs (well, have my husband or a friend do it) so when things don't go quite right, I can look back, while it's fresh in my mind, and (usually) easily see what happened--always my fault, of course!  I can look at the run in slow motion, and the iPad has a big screen (unlike the camcorder, whose tiny screen my "experienced" eyes can no longer easily see).

Having a "video coach" has really helped me over the years, and having it in real time is valuable to me.  I don't spend most of my time with the iPad--socializing at trials is a big part of the fun--but the iPad is a useful tool.  (One I'm happy to share if a friend wants to see their runs, too).

Deanna in OR

Deanna L in OR
NATCH-4 Vers-NATCH-4 Willow
Bree, the agility collie in training (catching up!)

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »
I really don't care one way or the other if folks are or are not "wired" at trials . . . very often there are VERY LEGITIMATE reasons that exhibitors and others need to keep in touch, so it's GOOD that they have that ability.  OTOH, those that use their smartphones, i-pads, mini-pads, mini-tablets or whatever to video runs and micro-analyze them immediatedly afterwards, are doing more harm than good, IMHO . . . the day of the trial is simply too late to be making "fine-tuning adjustments" . . .

Personally, I'm far too techno-ignorant to own a smart phone . . . I have a 4 year old cell phone with a camera (still don't know how to use the camera) . . . after nearly 4 years I can reliably set the alarm clock function without help . . . don't know how to enter names and numbers in my phone book and the text function is disabled (thanks to my wife); but I never read the instructions because I just use it as a PHONE! <G>

I don't have a Twitter account, so I don't twit . . . or give a twit . . .

Never understood the need for FaceBook when I have e-mail . . . who wants to look at my face anyway???

. . . and I when I want a book, I want real pages that I can feel and turn!!!

For the RARE times I take videos, I can post them to youtube for friends to watch . . .

I don't Pinterest because every time I'm around pins, I prick myself . . . and I have no interest in bleeding . . . 

Then again, I'm really not all that social at trials, either . . . but if I wan't to listen to music, my van has a radio and CD player, which is why I don't own an i-pod . . .

It's the curse of the age we live in . . . we HAVE the technology . . . unfortunately, we don't really know what to do with it . . . we just know that we have to have it, for some reason . . .

Yes, I'll admit . . . I still much prefer my half-speed, vinyl, master recordings played on a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge through a tube powered amplifier to a simple stereo pair of speakers with a large bass speaker with a HUGE magnet, an adequate mid-range spreaker and a Heil Air Motion transformer for the high end to ANYTHING CD or digital . . . digital cannot reproduce the range and ambiance that the quality, old and some "old technology" new systems still can . . .

Same thing goes for film . . . IMHO, there's still nothing better than the flicker of 16 or 35 mm film on a reel . . . or a director that knew how to use lighting and the music score on old B&W nitrate film stock . . .

Our modern technologies make many things more "accessible" for us; but in the process, we do pay a most extraordinary price for that accessibility.  To that end, I do not begrudge anyone their technologies; but I certainly do mourn for all that they are missing by living life too fast . . .

Just an old dinosaur, likely soon to be extinct as well . . .

Al Ceranko in Ohio
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 03:16:32 AM »
I am a wired one - but - I listen to music during walk-thrus to help me focus - my overactive brain and my nosy personality take over if I am not listening to music to tune all else out - otherwise I can't focus to walk the course. If you need me poke me or wave at me like my friends do.  I video my dogs - not for coaching or for over-scrutinizing but so I have a video of them looking beautiful and having fun, b/c one day that is what I will have left of them to remember our time playing together.

We have to remember that this is EVERYONE'S recreation and we all don't recreate the same way (with the exception of agility of course) - so to each their own and enjoy your weekend  ;)

Peace & Love

Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Diane Whitney

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »

I've noticed that the physical layout of an arena strongly influences people's behavior. When there is good ringside seating and it's much more appealing than sitting in the crating area, as I think is the case, for example, at Argus Ranch in Auburn, WA (really terrible crating area, but nice cozy ringside seating under the heaters), Benton Co Fairgrounds in Corvallis, OR (this is the WAG trial that people referred to earlier, with nice bleachers but really spread out crating areas), and Clark Co. Fairgrounds in Ridgefield, WA (also nice bleachers but spread out crating areas), then people tend to sit and watch the runs and chat with their friends rather than play with their devices. Even in Belgrade, MT, that little set of bleachers makes a huge difference in how people interact. When it's the more typical layout of a big expanse of dirt divided into a ring and a crating area, then the devices tend to come out--probably because people sit down to rest, no one else is around, and they can't see the ring, so they pull out their phone or iPad, and get sucked into it.

It does bum me out to see a row of people sitting next to each other, all absorbed in their devices, but I think in the end this is my problem, not theirs, as they're not hurting anyone, at least not any more than someone reading a book or taking a nap. Maybe they're introverts and get exhausted by having to talk to people all day long (even I feel like this sometimes). Or maybe they're just misanthropes. Maybe we should be glad they're not talking to us!  ;)

If you see me on my phone, I'm texting Tom about our runs, because he loves to hear how little Byrdie is doing and wants to feel involved. Come on over and I promise I'll look up with a smile and proceed to talk your ears off about Byrdie as well!  :)

Diane

Jean Sather (McCreight)

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 01:54:44 PM »
I have to say I am LOVING all of the various responses on this thread -- wired or not, the agility world is big enough for all of us, and no one should need to feel defensive about their own choices.  I too make a LOT of use of video -- not necessarily to "fix" anything that weekend, but so I have a better idea and can understand just what happened out there on any given run, and perhaps why my dog responded as he did, to what I thought at the time was a perfectly clear command (and all-too-often wasn't!)  :-)

Actually the Three Pines instant video replay is a great service for this purpose, and ENCOURAGES interactions with others at the trial because there are usually 3-4 chairs in front, filled with a handler and their friends, analyzing and dissecting our runs and our handling and what worked and what didn't!  :)  We are so lucky to have them in-house at so many of our Montana trials!

I appreciate all of those of you who have encouraged me to interrupt you even if you appear to be "busy" -- and if I have encouraged even one person to maybe turn off or put away a wireless device for an hour or so, in an effort to "appear" more approachable to others at a trial, I'll be happy with that ....  Thanks all, for your thoughtful input on this subject!
Jean, Zack & Tux
Montana

Diane Whitney

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
Excellent point about Three Pines! We are very lucky indeed to have them!