Author Topic: NADAC weave pole specs and small dogs  (Read 767 times)

Dev Sperber, Jake, Lil, and Takoda

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
    • Art and Dog Blog
NADAC weave pole specs and small dogs
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
http://artanddogblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/comparing-lil-weaving-through-poles-with-narrow-and-wide-bases/

I uploaded a one minute video that compares my small dog (Lil, an Australian Terrier) weaving 12 poles with narrow (1.5") and wider (2.5") bases.  It seems clear to me that she has less side-to-side motion when weaving through poles with a narrow base.  I assume that reduces the wear and tear on her body.  My intent is to do whatever I can to keep my dogs fit and healthy so that we can all play the game of agility for many years to come.  Needless to say, I love weave poles with narrower bases... which are found in NADAC!  :)
Dev Sperber, Jake, Lil and Takoda

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
Re: NADAC weave pole specs and small dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
http://artanddogblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/comparing-lil-weaving-through-poles-with-narrow-and-wide-bases/

I uploaded a one minute video that compares my small dog (Lil, an Australian Terrier) weaving 12 poles with narrow (1.5") and wider (2.5") bases.  It seems clear to me that she has less side-to-side motion when weaving through poles with a narrow base.  I assume that reduces the wear and tear on her body.  My intent is to do whatever I can to keep my dogs fit and healthy so that we can all play the game of agility for many years to come.  Needless to say, I love weave poles with narrower bases... which are found in NADAC!  :)

You are totally accurate!  One thing that many people don't look at when weaving their dogs is the angle of the elbow joint when weaving.  As you see with your terrier, when the dog is asked to "extend" the leg out over the base the elbow is actually pushed "away" from the body and as weight is applied it causes the elbow joint to have pressure applied while extended "away from" the dog's center of gravity, which is under their shoulders.  We see a lot of elbow soreness on dogs that weave with the wider bases.  In natural motion, as the dogs weight is applied to the leg, you want to see the elbow "under" and "inward" to the dog's rib cage, not outside the center of gravity for the dog's height and width.  If the dog has to "extend" out over the base of the weaves, then the elbow is pushed out from the dog's body, especially the dog's with narrower rib cages or overall body size.  If the elbow is pushed "out" instead of inward, it takes the brunt of the force of each stride insted of being "distributed" correctly and evenly with the elbow under the dog and inward to the rib cage.  If that happens while weaving the dog will slow down and try to figure out how to minimize the impact on the elbow joint... slower is easier on the body and therefore there is less concussion on the elbow. 

The narrower bases allow for a dog to move more naturally with their elbows aligned properly under their body and not pushed out past the dog's natural body width.  The "path" of the foot fall is much wider than 2 1/2"... if you measure the point of placement before foot lift to the point of placement upon foot fall landing on the other side the 2 1/2" bases cause many dogs to step wider than their actual body width, causing a lot of discomfort to the elbow joint..... and as dogs try to compensate for elbow discomfort they usually also have sore shoulders and spinal soreness directly behind the withers.

We love the narrower bases and wish that all venues would support all size dogs and their comfort while competing.

Training facilities have no excuses, they should all have equipment that is the best for all dogs if they give classes for all size dogs!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

• Art and Dog Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
Sharon, Thanks for taking the time to explain why narrow bases are better than wide bases!  Devorah Sperber

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
Someday, when I am caught up, I will do a video showing the different body positions caused by different types of weave poles!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

rufftie

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:48:23 AM »
is there a place on the east coast where you can buy the narrow base weaves?
Lisa
Lisa Rufft
when things go bad, don't go with them!

• Art and Dog Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:26:35 AM »
Hi Lisa,   NAE uses nice weave poles with narrow bases at their trials.  I'm sure Erin could tell you where she bought them.  http://www.northeastagility.com/index.html

Dev