Author Topic: Before panic sets in...... Tunnelers  (Read 3592 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Before panic sets in...... Tunnelers
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:38:26 PM »
Hi, group.
   Depending on where you live, we are going to allow some clubs to use a minimal number of hoops in the Tunnelers class in the upcoming months.  This is due to the large expense of replacing worn out tunnels and/or tunnel bags for the one class that requires 8-10 tunnels for the class.  In the few exceptions, they will state in their premium that they are running Tunnelers w/hoops.  There will be a maximum of three hoops on the course to replace a sequence where a tunnel is used, thereby allowing a club to have 6-7 tunnels instead of 8-10.  This will help some clubs get into a better financial position to be able to purchase new tunnels later in the year rather than during the winter and early spring when entries are lower due to snow and winter weather.

So if you enter a trial where they will be using 2-3 hoops in the tunnelers class, please help support them with your entries and see if you can rise to the challenge of performing hoops amongst those tunnels!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
Re: Before panic sets in...... Tunnelers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:30:52 AM »
I would love to see some barrels personally! This weekend we had a course where a barrel would have been a MUCH nicer obstacle than the tunnel  :P   - although with the "pre-wind" of SANDY  it might not have stayed put  ;)
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »
I would love to see some barrels personally! This weekend we had a course where a barrel would have been a MUCH nicer obstacle than the tunnel  :P   - although with the "pre-wind" of SANDY  it might not have stayed put  ;)

When windy the plastic barrels with some tunnel bags in them work beautifully!!

The cloth ones will move in the wind!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

dmadrid

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »
Depending on where you live, we are going to allow some clubs to use a minimal number of hoops in the Tunnelers class in the upcoming months.  This is due to the large expense of replacing worn out tunnels and/or tunnel bags for the one class that requires 8-10 tunnels for the class.

Here's hoping that this is only a short-term solution and not something that we will be seeing long-term, or at an expanding rate.  Raffles are another great way for clubs to raise money.  A good raffle can raise $300 in a weekend, which should be enough to buy a new tunnel. 
Danielle

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
I am probably one of the few who would LOVE a tunnelers course with some Hoops for two reasons-  My girl loves Hoops and she gets bored with doing the same obstacle (except for Hoops, she can't get enough of them).   So if tunnelers had a Hoop or two I think she would love it!

Is there anyway a club can ask for a tunnelers course like this-  thinking of our winter trials where we wouldn't mind a few less water tunnel bags to fill. 

Mary

PS- or in the alternative a barrel or two which as Maureen can attest my girl loves as well!
Mary P.

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:42:44 AM »
JMHO; but the sport, therefore, the classes and the class parameters need to evolve and progress.  We don't trial very much anymore . . . and I'm really not sure how our dogs would respond to the change . . . but that's just a matter of training and TEAMwork . . . nothing more, nothing less.  Tunnels and tunnel bags are EXPENSIVE and their trial life expectancies are finite.  By comparison, hoops and barrels are pretty economical and long-lived . . .   

In addition, as it relates to non-jumping class trials, the incorporation of hoops and barrels really open up A LOT of course design options for the low-end of ring sizes that NADAC permits.

Every time Sharon innovates, some folks will panic because most of us dislike changes to our routines; but Sharon's innovations have ALWAYS taken us to a "higher level of understanding the concept of TEAM in agility" . . .

The type of equipment on a course really doesn't matter all that much . . . as long as the dog can perform them safely . . . that which really matters is the connection between dog and handler . . . and their ability to negotiate the path . . .

Al, Barb and the kids in Ohio
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
Love reading this on my tiny phone screen...."tunnelers w/hoops" looked like" tunnelers whoops!" which is what I thought:  whoop!  (as in whoopdedoo, vs. woops!)  For those wet grass days, yay!

Jean Sather (McCreight)

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
Is it possible for clubs to request "all tunnels" courses if they DO have enough tunnels to set them?  I certainly have no objection to hoops -- but for REAL novice dogs and novice handlers -- there is nothing quite like an "all tunnels" course to "set them up for success"!  (And Q's do tend to result in "agility addicts" in those early stages, and we can always use more of those!  :) )
Jean & Tux
Montana

CheriMo

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »
Will it be identified in the premium that a non-traditional version of Tunnelers is being offered rather than the traditional Tunnelers? I prefer to know what I'm signing up for rather than being surprised by something for which I have not trained.

Cheri Sutton
Kansas City, MO

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »
Will it be identified in the premium that a non-traditional version of Tunnelers is being offered rather than the traditional Tunnelers? I prefer to know what I'm signing up for rather than being surprised by something for which I have not trained.

Cheri Sutton
Kansas City, MO

As the post stated, it would be in the premium.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »
The way I read this, this would occur at the club's request and they are requesting it because they have tunnels they cannot afford to replace at the moment?  Or can a club do this even if they have the requisite number of tunnels, but just want to add hoops?

Curious because the responses received seem to be indicating that this is a change any club can do, and not just the clubs that are in need of replacement tunnels and can't afford to replace them.
Sheila & the Shelties

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »
The way I read this, this would occur at the club's request and they are requesting it because they have tunnels they cannot afford to replace at the moment?  Or can a club do this even if they have the requisite number of tunnels, but just want to add hoops?

Curious because the responses received seem to be indicating that this is a change any club can do, and not just the clubs that are in need of replacement tunnels and can't afford to replace them.

If  a club requests to have tunnelers w/hoops.... I am not going to make them prove that they are short on tunnels... there are many other reasons also during this time of year... many clubs use water bags for holding tunnels and those are difficult to deal with during freezing weather so the fewer the better...  also, many trials move indoors onto artificial surfaces and tunnels are notoriously difficult to keep in place on the artificial turf surfaces.  Also many of the dirt arenas can't be watered during the winter and they tend to pack down and also allow tunnels to move more than normal.

Also many of the different types of tunnels before VERY stiff and dangerous during the colder weather and the dogs cannot "grasp" the surface as well when the tunnels are stiff and those turns would be safer through two hoops than through a very stiff and cold tunnel.

Winter is always our "difficult tunnel" time and this year we are trying to help clubs work out some of those difficulties.

So it might now just be an inventory issue as winter sets in and creates "tunnel" issues with it!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »
Would barrels also be allowed to replace some of the tunnels?
Sheila & the Shelties

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »
Would barrels also be allowed to replace some of the tunnels?

Barrels can only be used at Funraisers.  We posted that before, I can't remember the dates when other clubs might be able to use them, but I am pretty sure it is mid-2013 to 2014 sometime??

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
Before panic sets in...... Tunnelers
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 06:01:03 PM »

Barrels can only be used at Funraisers.  We posted that before, I can't remember the dates when other clubs might be able to use them, but I am pretty sure it is mid-2013 to 2014 sometime??

Sharon

I thought we would start to see barrels beginning of 2013
So that we can have a chance to see them before champs....

Or will we not see barrels at champs next year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes