Author Topic: Memories of Oklahoma  (Read 2971 times)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
Memories of Oklahoma
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »

You know how things just "happen"?  I got into a conversation with a local person at the store.... they asked about the shirt I was wearing and things progressed from there.... they asked if I took dogs for training and my answer is always "no"..... then we kept talking and they talked about this puppy they were having issues with.... wouldn't come when called, etc.... sounded basic....

So I said I would take the puppy for a month and would use the pup as part of a video training program...... at no charge.  I did need a "non-started" puppy for our current online training series.

Then we met this morning to get the pup............. thank god they didn't come to my house......... I never want to see them again!!  So they really get into talking about the pup......... which they traded for.... they had a small flatbed trailer for sale and the kids had been "a wantin' " a pup.... so they took off $400 off the trailer and got the pup.  They continued to tell me that the breeder doesn't "mess with em" because Aussies bond for a lifetime and they don't want the pup to bond to them and not bond to their next owner................ so they don't see people and are raised in the barn.  Well, this guy trades for the pup for his kids and now they have problems because they "can't catch the bugger"............ to catch him they chase him into the bushes and the kids come from both directions and trap him between them.... but now the "little bugger" snapped at one of the kids last week and they don't want no mean dog so they haven't messed with him since last week.  So much of this morning reminded me of times in Oklahoma, where so many people consider a dog "livestock" and are treated as such.

They said he would be really fast for agility because he is really smart and it took them over an hour to catch him this morning... and he runs fast and can turn really sharp and jump high to get away.  (I found that out after I paid for him).............. yes, I bought the "little bugger" and gave them their $400 (he is worth a lot because he has papers............ you know how that really makes them a better dog).............. I didn't have the money to pay for him and Becky might not get paid today!!  (not really, Beck, I am doing some quick money moving today so that your check clears!!!.............. doesn't that remind you of a horse once??)

So thanks Cindy and LeeAnne, much of your contributions just bought a little mini Aussie this morning!!

Here is a video taken just now of the "little bugger"............

Please realize that I would never normally try to pet a dog that is that terrified, but I did just so you realize how sad it is that anyone let this little guy ever get into this mental state.  I hope this works out and he isn't permanently with some mental issues become of his experiences so far.  We'll see and hope I don't fall on my face on this one!!

We will be watching his progress on the online seminar group, so we will keep you posted on how he is doing!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

marjorie ross

Re: Memories of Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
Sharon:

I just cried for this little creature.  Thank God you rescued him even if you had to buy him.

I become so infuriated and sad that people do this to animals!! 

Watching his little body shake from fear at a loving approach is almost too much to bear!

Thank you again, Sharon!

Marj Ross    Ghandi:  The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way the animals are treated.

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Owner/Trainer GotDog? LLC
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »
Wow...... I just continue to be caught off guard by people  :'(

Dibz is a lucky little boy, he just doesnt know it yet!  What a cutie  :)
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
Thanks for taking on yet ANOTHER challenge / learning opportunity !! I am so rooting for this little boy ! I am partial to cute black tri aussie boys !!! 

Looking forward to watching Dibz come out of his shell & learn to trust & be a confident boy !!

Bernie & the merle mob in IL
Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
Dibz is in good safe loving hands now.  Here's hoping his confusion and fear is replaced by confidence and trust real soon.  I am with Marj it does make you choke up to see such a young pup afraid of humans
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
You will give him the love and respect that he deserves and he will brighten with every gift.  He is one lucky fellow!!!  And very cute!! 

Marj Vincent
Scotty & Java
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

Anne Etherton

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
He is one very lucky dog.  If anyone can help him recover it will be Sharon.
Anne

LeeAnne McAdam

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »
OMG, Sharon...that is heartbreaking!  Thank you so much for rescuing this little fellow.  There is a special place in heaven for you.  I'm sorry this poor "little bugger" got the start he got but he's won the lottery now.  It will bring special joy to us to watch him blossom under your care.  You are the best!
Lee Anne

Wild Terriers

Memories of Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »
I'm so glad Dibz is with you - he's about to find out that he can be one lucky little bugger.  Lying in bed with one of my lucky little buggers feeling ever so grateful for what you have done for so many little buggers and most especially that Dibz never has to worry about those idiot people again.  It really is heartbreaking what people are capable of.......so very grateful Dibz is safe and sound with you.

Karen and the Wild Terriers
Karen and the Wild Terriers

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:40:35 PM »
Thanks, everyone!  Mr. Dibz is doing great and starting to relax.  As long as I don't look at him, he is quite comfortable tonight... he is eating and he has drank water today, so we are headed down a great road!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 08:50:26 PM »
His name reminds me of great book I read once called "Dibs in search of self"  It was about an emotionally lost child who with the help of a woman who provided therapy to Dibs helped him find himself and his way back.

So little puppy Dibz has found someone to help him find his way back and be all he can be.
Shirlene Clark
Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »
We have farm property in Southern IL and see this far too often.  The stories I have of this type of situation is endless.... 

We ended up with a white GSD because the family didn't take care of her and she would continually break her lead and come to our house.  After returning her several times, the final straw was, they never changed her collar as she was growing and it started to embed in her skin.  Fortunately, we caught it quickly and got it off of her before any real damage physically was done.  We didn't return her.  A few weeks later, the "owners" tried to catch her with a fishing net while she was on our property.  She ran to safety in the barn where they couldn't get to her.  It took 4 months and some burnt popcorn before she would even come close to us.  Fortunately, we had a kennel outside that she was comfortable in and we could at least monitor her while she was in there.   Did I mention that she almost died because of parasitic infestation?????  9 years later, she is a great dog, though she is still wary of some people.  It took a huge amount of patience and training but it was well worth it in the end. 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:32:09 AM »
Good job, Audri!!  She is so lucky to have you as a neighbor!!  Thanks for helping her.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lori Pritchett

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
This just brought tears to my eyes to see this poor little guy so scared.  Then my rotten black one came over to give me a hug and a kiss and it just made me so thankful for my girls.  Wishing you all the best with helping Dibz learn that not all people are idiots.
Lori

C-ATCH B.E.T. on Me Mooses Are Wild (Moose)
Running L Bel Canto Zaffira (Bella)

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
This just brought tears to my eyes to see this poor little guy so scared.  Then my rotten black one came over to give me a hug and a kiss and it just made me so thankful for my girls.  Wishing you all the best with helping Dibz learn that not all people are idiots.

See, Lori, he isn't rotten at all!!  Your rotten black one is a good girl!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility