Author Topic: Memories of Oklahoma  (Read 2926 times)

Kelly Wilson

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Memories of Oklahoma
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 06:51:39 PM »
This is just horrible.  Dibz will flourish under your loving hands.
Kelly Wilson
Journey, Kya, & Indie

Amy McGovern

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »
I'm so glad you rescued him!  As someone currently living in Oklahoma, it saddens me that this brings up memories of OK.  There are a lot of dog lovers here too :)  I hope he recovers well!!

Amy and the schnauzers

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 08:29:23 PM »
I'm so glad you rescued him!  As someone currently living in Oklahoma, it saddens me that this brings up memories of OK.  There are a lot of dog lovers here too :)  I hope he recovers well!!

I have lots of GREAT memories of Oklahoma and loved the time I spent there..... but some of the horror stories as far as puppy mills and lack of care did happen out outnumber anything I had ever witnessed any where else.

There are great dogs and dog owners there!  Truly awesome... now if they could get rid of all of the doggie livestock owners, the state would be close to perfect, other than a few minor weather issues!! 

Oklahoma was the only place I had been to where they have Tuesday night auctions where they sell goats, chickens, pigs, calves, and dogs and cats on the auction block!!  I never saw a clean, healthy dog there and we took home most of the ones that didn't sell and got turned loose after the sale! 

But the responsible dog owners of Oklahoma were amongst the best people I have ever met!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Anne Murray

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 06:58:56 AM »
As heart wrenching as that is to watch, the confidence we have that you Sharon can work your miracles for this little guy have been proven over and over. I.E. Zeeta, who proves it everyday.
Thank you for all you do,
Anne Murray
Anne

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 08:42:20 AM »
As heart wrenching as that is to watch, the confidence we have that you Sharon can work your miracles for this little guy have been proven over and over. I.E. Zeeta, who proves it everyday.
Thank you for all you do,
Anne Murray
Anne, I was just thinking of you yesterday and I think of you often!  Zeeta is such a special dog and I am so thrilled that I was a part of her life when she needed me.  She is truly one of those "forever memories" and to see the two of you together this year was a wonderful experience!  Smiles all over!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »

Oklahoma was the only place I had been to where they have Tuesday night auctions where they sell goats, chickens, pigs, calves, and dogs and cats on the auction block!!  I never saw a clean, healthy dog there and we took home most of the ones that didn't sell and got turned loose after the sale!

Sharon

Sadly, Sharon, you can add MANY of Ohio's "off the beaten path" rural counties to Oklahoma.  In Ohio, dogs and cats are "livestock" under the law and afforded little protection unless the "abuse and abuser" make the evening news in major markets . . . the vast majority of the auctions, sales and exchanges are just "a way of life" in many counties.

Some rescues in Ohio have passed through these auctions, sales, exchanges and barter events before finding safe haven in a rescue . . . we suspect that our Gael was one of them . . . given the area of state where she was eventually rescued before we adopted her . . .

It's a damn shame that great dogs get saddled with so much psychological baggage that isn't of their doing; but that's just the way it is . . .

You do the best that you can . . . you don't look back any more than necessary to figure out what may be going on in the dog's head . . . and then you work on the present and look to the future.

Perhaps I'm a bit of an optimist; but I saw many positives in that short video of Mr. Dibz . . . yeah, the fear and negatives were more obvious, but the boy seems to have a bit of a "titanium spine" . . . he'll bounce back and do just fine!

Hugs & wags,

Al & Pelli in OH
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Lori Pritchett

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »

See, Lori, he isn't rotten at all!!  Your rotten black one is a good girl!!

Sharon

You would be shocked how much she has matured since you saw her in March.  She went to her first trial in September and is really making strides.....FAST ones!!!  She has got so much speed - thank goodness I'm doing some distance handling cause I sure can't keep up with her!!!  I guess rotten isn't the right word....ornery though probably is!!!
Lori

C-ATCH B.E.T. on Me Mooses Are Wild (Moose)
Running L Bel Canto Zaffira (Bella)