Author Topic: Upcoming changes to the run index program  (Read 6302 times)

David Tharle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Upcoming changes to the run index program
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »
Most athletic associations no longer allow the use of wheels.  There is a great aerial photo of a football field which was apparently laid out using one.  They had some kind of a trapezoid, but not a rectangle.  You didn't need to look too close to see that the lines across the field were anything but parallel.  What made it more hilarious was that the divergence was not always on the same side.

As I read it, Chris's example used 4 different wheels.  When Sharon's decree came down, a member of our club who runs mainly in another Association which virtually mandates the use of the wheel, thought she was nuts (bet she wishes she had a dollar for every time that happens, but I digress).  We were having a Fun Day on a baseball field, so took the club's wheel out and rolled two different numbers on the diamond: variance if I recall of about 4'.  We called another person over and they rolled a different number.  Same wheel, 3 different results. No one even rolled their own number with a second try.  End of discussion.  It's a lot quicker to pace.

Now the only people I see using wheels are highways & utilities crews.  Figures that wheels are considered "good enough for government work".
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Jeanne Allen

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 09:56:02 AM »
Thanks for the info Chris!

I will have to try and print some of this off and have it handy the next time someone in my club that does another venue asks why NADAC does not use a wheel!
Jeanne Allen and the Blue Dog Jester
Boise, ID

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 10:29:53 AM »
Now the only people I see using wheels are highways & utilities crews.  Figures that wheels are considered "good enough for government work".

As a government worker I'm not too thrilled about that statement.  Construction personnel do use a wheel to do quick measurements for partial payments to the contractor.   And yes a missing foot here or there is not a big deal when you're talking about 20,000 feet.

Anyway, as a Civil Engineer I can say that pacing is a tool used in the old days in surveying.  By old days I mean prior to GPS and the fancy surveying equipment that has come to be used in the last 20 years.  When I was in college, back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, we were taught how to pace and made to practice, practice, practice.  It is pretty accurate when practice and become consistent with your pacing. 

The problem with measuring wheels is that they need to be calibrated and they need to be checked from time to time.  Things can go wrong with a wheel and you might not even recognize that it's not measuring correctly especially if you have become reliant on just expecting that it's correct. The measuring wheel can also slip or stick depending on the surface. 

Gina Pizzo

David Tharle

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »
Posted by: dogrsqr« on: Today at 10:29:53 AM »
As a government worker I'm not too thrilled about that statement.

My apologies to Gina and all the hard working civil servants who by majority, do their absolute best with what they are given.  My comment was directed at the entity, not its workers who in my region as example, will be virtually the last to obtain GPS & laser technology.
Sorry about that.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB