Author Topic: slats on contact obstacles  (Read 522 times)

agility4me

slats on contact obstacles
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:40:47 AM »
I'm looking to purchase a rubber skin for a dog walk and have the option of buying one with slats or without slats.  I understand that NADAC rules say no slats on the dog walk and A-frame.   I know that some other venues want the slats.  Can you help me understand why some use slats and some don't?   

Tonya
Tonya
Ginny & Harry

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: slats on contact obstacles
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
If you search, you will be able to find video of dogs hyper-extending toes, wrists, etc by just stepping on the wrong place on a slatted surface.  Originally, the slats were supposed to help the dog climb the surface.  I have never seen a dog actually use the slats to climb an up ramp on the dog walk or use them to descend the dog walk.  At one time USDAA had all dogs doing a 6'3" Aframe and sometimes small dogs with not enough momentum would actually use the slats near the top to get over.  They would also tend to stub toes coming down it the sanded surface was a bit slippery.

The NADAC rubber is the very best surface.  And there is simply no physical reason for slats at the current equipment heights.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow