Author Topic: EGC mixed with a Traditional Trial  (Read 3888 times)

Erin Wajda

• Judge
    • Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
EGC mixed with a Traditional Trial
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »
I see on the calendar that some clubs are offering EGC classes combined with traditional classes on the same day.  I'm sorry if I missed this, but what are the rules about what we are allowed to offer?  This seems like a good option for offering EGC in areas where it might not yet be popular.

How many classes per day are clubs allowed to offer?

Are exhibitors still limited to entering 6 runs per day?

If we want to offer EGC classes, how do we know what judges are cleared to judge them?

Thanks for your help.
Erin
Erin Wajda
Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
Sand Lake, NY

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
Re: EGC mixed with a Traditional Trial
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:44:42 AM »
And if a trial is already confirmed - can EGC classes be added to the line up if the answer to Erin query is a yes??
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »
And if a trial is already confirmed - can EGC classes be added to the line up if the answer to Erin query is a yes??

Yes, you can.

And I will have to go find Erin's query!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »
I see on the calendar that some clubs are offering EGC classes combined with traditional classes on the same day.  I'm sorry if I missed this, but what are the rules about what we are allowed to offer?  This seems like a good option for offering EGC in areas where it might not yet be popular.

How many classes per day are clubs allowed to offer?

Are exhibitors still limited to entering 6 runs per day?

If we want to offer EGC classes, how do we know what judges are cleared to judge them?

Thanks for your help.
Erin

With EGC a club could have a max of 8 classes, if at least runs are EGC for the competitors to run.

All judges will be approved to judge EGC.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:46:30 AM »
Sharon - I think something got blipped out of your response to Erin...

SO we can add 2 EGC runs per day?  ANd then how many runs can a competitor enter per day total if a club offers 6 Agility and 2 EGC - can they enter all?

Question #2 - I suppose I would email you the additional runs then for my April trial and send you a check for $10 for each addeded EGC class (for trial fees??)
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

Erin Wajda

• Judge
    • Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
EGC mixed with a Traditional Trial
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
Thanks! This is a great option for us. And just to be clear, a competitor would be allowed to enter all 8 runs with the same dog if they wanted?
Erin Wajda
Northeast Agility Enthusiasts
Sand Lake, NY

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »
Thanks! This is a great option for us. And just to be clear, a competitor would be allowed to enter all 8 runs with the same dog if they wanted?

Yes, they could run all eight!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:38 AM »
Sharon - I think something got blipped out of your response to Erin...

SO we can add 2 EGC runs per day?  ANd then how many runs can a competitor enter per day total if a club offers 6 Agility and 2 EGC - can they enter all?

Question #2 - I suppose I would email you the additional runs then for my April trial and send you a check for $10 for each addeded EGC class (for trial fees??)

Yes, you can add 2 EGC runs to each day.  A competitor can run all 8.

For Question #2, yes, you can add them by sending us the info and the fees.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 12:34:23 PM »
Ok final question -

I have a judge under supervision for my April trial - SP 1 - Can he or the supervising judge - judge the EGC runs? Neither of them are EGC judges as of today ...

just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row   ???
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »
Ok final question -

I have a judge under supervision for my April trial - SP 1 - Can he or the supervising judge - judge the EGC runs? Neither of them are EGC judges as of today ...

just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row   ???

Yes, the supervising judge could judge the EGC runs with prior consent from them!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 05:42:24 AM »
How do we know if a judge is allowed to judge EGC?
I am looking at the judges list and dont see anything.

Is there a list somewhere of needed equipment for each class?

I know that  I wont offer hoopers as I dont have that many gates, but there other classes may be an option.

Thanks
lisa
Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Lisa Schmit In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 05:57:15 AM »
I really need to get better as sitting in bed for hours and hours not being able to do much just makes me think about 'stuff'.... I can only watch so many of NCIS reruns in a day :)

since this thread started I have been really thinking about it.

Let me begin by stating i mean no disrespect and am honestly curious about my question ! (Scared Sharon hahahhaahha)

We have always had a 6 class limit a day, but now we can have up to 8 classes a day.    Why?  what is the philosophy behind being able to add 2 more runs?

I am particularly interested in your analysis of adrenaline.    I have read your posts about adrenaline carefully and thought about them alot.  My dogs experience a huge adrenaline rush doing EGC, more so than even doing tunnelers.     So adding 2 EGC runs for my dogs is not  the best thing.   

But if there are exhbitiors in my area that are interested in adding  a few EGC classes, I may try it.

I have 3 day trials, but offer good package deals so that people dont feel compelled to enter all classes.   But I am afraid if I add 2 EGC classes Fri and Sat, there are some people that would run their dogs in all 21 classes !!    There are dogs that can handle that well, but others that cant.... 

I am not going to drop any Regular trial classes for EGC.

Thoughts??

Lisa~who is very thankful for codeine. 

Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »
Lisa, I think you answered all of your own questions!

Some people will pick and choose..... in some areas they will pick EGC over traditional classes... in other areas they won't enter EGC.... that is their choice.

If someone enters all runs and they shouldn't that is a personal problem if it is too much for their dog, not the club's issue..... it is the responsibility for each person to make the choices for their dog and they know their own dog the best... or they might find out that they don't know their dog.

EGC is not for every dog and handler... it is about split second handling at top speed.... many teams will do much better with actual obstacles to focus on and not just ground obstacles.

I can't say what a club should do... they know the competitors in their area the best!

If they don't know for sure, they can offer it and see how it goes and then make decisions for future trials.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
Hi Lisa!

Sorry to hear that you're currently in need of "crate rest" <G>, so you may want to check out re-runs of Criminal Minds, Bones and Law & Order SVU . . . the ensemble casts are GREAT and so are the story lines . . .

As for 8 classes a day . . . when I was younger and dumber . . . and had a "can't ever get enough agility partner" in Kali . . . we'd run every run available that we could . . . she never complained . . . unless she DIDN'T get to run something; but in time, her unbridled enthusiasm took it's toll on her body . . . and I learned a powerful lesson . . .

Sharon is sooooooooooooooooooo right that people will do stupid things no matter what is in place to try to prevent them from doing so . . .

IMHO, a couple of additional EGC runs is less stressful on a dog than taking said dog into an adjacent field and playing frisbee or tossing a ball to give one's dog something else to do between runs . . . for those dogs with that high of an energy level . . .

I also believe that most dogs handle adrenaline rushes rather well from a physiological standpoint . . . and that can be monitored with periodic blood work, which I believe is indicated for any competitive dog . . .

Mentally, repeated adrenaline rushes can have a negative impact on the dog's ability to maintain focus over the course of 8 runs in one day; but that is also so very dependant on the individual dog . . . and what handlers do to balance the effects of adrenaline on the dog's body and systems . . .

Personally, I would be MUCH more opposed to offering 8 classes per day and limiting dogs & handlers to their choice of 6 . . . I have had personal experience with that very format being done in another venue and it was a MESS . . .

I'd be willing to bet that the EGC/Traditional Trial mixed offering will NOT do well in the eastern Midwest, simply because, IMHO, that geographic region is stuck in a time warp going back 20+ years . . . they've been resistant to Hoopers and some have been resistant to the non-NATCH required "games" classes, so I don't see them readily embracing the EGC classes.

I would personally LOVE to see EGC flourish around northeast Ohio because we and ours would definitely play those games . . . NOT that we're good at them . . . to the contrary, playing around with the concepts at home, we kind of suck; but they're FUN . . . and they're NEW and DIFFERENT and they're NOT the BORING same old, same old that we did with our first agility dogs . . . we DON'T want to do that stuff again . . . been there, done that as far as we're concerned . . .

Perhaps the whole of Castle Camelot is afflicted with ADHD/hyperactivity disorder; but all of us are constantly looking for NEW things that challenge our minds and creative hands . . .

OK, so we're the weird ducks on the pond . . . that's NOTHING NEW for us! <LOL>

The only failure is the failure to try new things . . .

Hugs & wags,

Al & Barb Ceranko, Dred, Gael & Pellinore in OH   
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Cindy

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »
Lisa,

Being in the northwest, I can't address what people in your area will do, but I can give my perspective on EGC runs being added to a traditional trial.  I have a soon to be 15 year old Beagle who still thinks she's 2.  She loves to run agility even more than she did when she was younger, and still makes Elite times, but I limit her to 2 runs a day and only one with jumps and/or contacts.  So, we do Regular or TnG and Hoopers or Tunnelers, depending on the offerings of the day.  When EGC is added to the trial, it gives me another option for her instead of Hoopers, Regular or TnG.  If the EGC is on the Friday night, then she'll do 2 runs of EGC and stay home the day that Tunnelers isn't offered.  She loves EGC, and I love that I have the option of reducing the impact on her body even further.  So while there are people who will just add the extra runs on, you may find there are people who will switch them out for more impactful runs, or even ones who will enter a dog they hadn't planned on entering since they have the EGC option.

Cindy and the Beagles