Author Topic: EGC mixed with a Traditional Trial  (Read 3885 times)

Cynthia & springers

• Trial Secretary
Re: EGC mixed with a Traditional Trial
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 05:51:07 AM »
Having EGC mixed in with regular classes will give more people (like me) the opportunity to see the games and decide if they want to try them the next time.  It may provide more opportunities for the people who are interested in playing the games.  And if it results in more runs entered, it will be better for our groups putting on small trials with low entries up here in the Northeast.

Cynthia & the springers
Wilder, VT

Cynthia Gilliland &
Ivy, Rosie, Eero, & Iris
Wilder, VT

Don Cuda

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 07:04:02 AM »
Lisa,
I have retired Blaze from agility after champs last year and will keep doing EGC with her as it is all ground work and she loves it. The said thing is I have no clubs around me that do any EGC or will add it on. I do feel you will pick up some folks that have a dog like I do (or maybe it a old handler). You can always try it and if it does not pan out you can drop it.   Go EGC!!!!
Don Cuda

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »
That is my thinking it is a great thing for older dogs. 
It not the dogs fault stupid!

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »

And it is pretty darn good for tuning up those handling skills.  And that is one reason many don't like it.... it does highlight any handling weakness or any training weakness for directional skills!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
Wish there was a "LIKE" button for your last comment Sharon! 
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

LeeAnne McAdam

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 07:21:18 PM »
I love EGC and really wish that it could get enough support that we would see a full slate of it on its own at all the trials we attend, but if having the option to have a run or two added to a regular day means we will see more of it, I say hurray!!!
Lee Anne

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »

And it is pretty darn good for tuning up those handling skills.  And that is one reason many don't like it.... it does highlight any handling weakness or any training weakness for directional skills!

Sharon

That is so true.  I found out just how week my pathwork was when EGC runs let my dogs move at top speed. No time to make corrections of my mistakes.
It not the dogs fault stupid!

Jeanne Allen

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »
I think it is great that we can add EGC to the regular trial!!!!  I have only done EGC twice (only because it is not being offered that much), but I really like how it shows holes in your handling.  I am guessing some of my club members are going to be pissed that the trial chair and I added 2 EGC runs on Friday of our April trial with out asking the club, but I am hoping that when they see it, they would like to see more!!!!!!
Jeanne Allen and the Blue Dogs Gypsy and Jester
Boise, ID

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 12:29:44 PM »
As we evaluate EGC and looks at stats and input.... it is possible that we might phase out Extreme Gaters and Extreme Chances as EGC gets merged into the regular NADAC trials.

I know this year at champs we will only be having Extreme Hoopers and Extreme Barrelers at the Champs.  We are also going to add hoops to the Extreme Barrelers to help people from getting lost so easily in the "sea of barrels" in Open and Elite.  Barrelers works at Novice.... but it gets visually tough at Open and Elite!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »
As we evaluate EGC and looks at stats and input.... it is possible that we might phase out Extreme Gaters and Extreme Chances as EGC gets merged into the regular NADAC trials.

ISharon

That would be very disappointing for me.  I really, really, really, like Extreme Chances and Extreme Gaters ........ Extreme Barrelers and Extreme Hoopers not so much. 

Can you share why this is being considered?  Am I the odd duck again and most people like Hoopers and Barrelers?

Gina Pizzo

Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 04:45:08 PM »

ISharon

That would be very disappointing for me.  I really, really, really, like Extreme Chances and Extreme Gaters ........ Extreme Barrelers and Extreme Hoopers not so much. 

Can you share why this is being considered?  Am I the odd duck again and most people like Hoopers and Barrelers?

Gina Pizzo

The biggest reason is that Extreme Chances and Extreme Gaters don't offer a lot of "difference" that can't be found in other NADAC classes on a large scale.... the gates are unique, but other than that, the tests can be found within other NADAC classes such as Chances or the other non-jumping classes.  Barrellers and Extreme Hoopers do offer challenges that cannot be found within the other NADAC classes.  That is part of the reason that they are "tougher" and take a bit more training to conquer. 

I am always open to input and I hear you!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Jeanne Allen

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
Thanks for the explanation on why the thought of phasing out Extreme Gaters and Extreme Chances, makes sense.  But for me and my local area, EGC has not taken off and I would like to see it take off.  Since I do not have the funds to have all of the equipment needed for Extreme Hoopers and Extreme Barrels, I can at least provide my club what I have to hold Extreme Gaters and Extreme Chances.

Yes, these two classes are similar to what we do on a normal weekend, but there are some differences.  I realized that this is one area of NADAC that accounts for refusals.  My area is still mostly AKC but I would think that all of the EGC classes would help AKC agility handlers in that they have to keep the dog on the path and it does show flaws in ones handling. 

One thought, could these classes be re-designed so they are not as similar to the regular weekend classes???

Just my 2 cents!
Jeanne Allen and the Blue Dogs Gypsy and Jester
Boise, ID

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
[[/quote]

The biggest reason is that Extreme Chances and Extreme Gaters don't offer a lot of "difference" that can't be found in other NADAC classes on a large scale.... the gates are unique, but other than that, the tests can be found within other NADAC classes such as Chances or the other non-jumping classes.  Barrellers and Extreme Hoopers do offer challenges that cannot be found within the other NADAC classes.  That is part of the reason that they are "tougher" and take a bit more training to conquer. 

I am always open to input and I hear you!

Sharon
[/quote]

Honestly the reason that I dislike Barrellers is because to me it doesn't seem to have the typical NADAC flow.  It feels very tight and twisty to me.

Hoopers I don't mind, but I'd prefer the circle of gates be a line on the ground.  I feel like once my dog gets in the circle of gates we lose our visual communication.  Of course then it would be like numbered Hoopers with a distance line.

Gina Pizzo
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »

Honestly the reason that I dislike Barrellers is because to me it doesn't seem to have the typical NADAC flow.  It feels very tight and twisty to me.

Hoopers I don't mind, but I'd prefer the circle of gates be a line on the ground.  I feel like once my dog gets in the circle of gates we lose our visual communication.  Of course then it would be like numbered Hoopers with a distance line.

Gina Pizzo

Yes, I am going to work on the course design for Barrelers and get a lot more "flow" into it!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

LeeAnne McAdam

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 05:09:38 AM »
Once EGC classes are offered with traditional classes and maybe more people are exposed to it and like it, would you consider keeping all the EGC classes so there could still be EGC trials or do you more envision it being handled like most clubs do  around here with some 3-day trials and they just pick and choose what games they offer?  We like to play them all!
Lee Anne