Author Topic: Breed Exemption for Hip Dysplasia?  (Read 2148 times)

eedogs

Breed Exemption for Hip Dysplasia?
« on: January 27, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »
I have a student with a severely dysplastic GSD.  The dog jumps 8" in group classes and loves coming.  I've encouraged them to continue in agility to maintain muscle and keep him mentally happy and active.  Plus his wife is in the class with her own dog, so it's fun for them to do something together each week.

Some of his classmates are now talking about entering their first ever trial in April and he might like to go too.

Is there any scenario where he could jump 8"?  The dog and handler are both youngish (dog is around 4 or 5, handler is 30s).  We could work on getting him up to 12" by then, but he seems happier at 8".  New competitors are so overjoyed at earning their first ribbon, would love for him to have that opportunity.

Thanks for any advice,
Elizabeth

Cynthia & springers

• Trial Secretary
Re: Breed Exemption for Hip Dysplasia?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:11:06 AM »
How about tunnelers & hoopers?  I have one dog that should not jump her height, and she has enjoyed participating in the non-jumping classes.

Cynthia
Cynthia Gilliland &
Iris & Eeli
Wilder, VT

Becky Woodruff

• Judge
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:00:38 AM »
I have a student with a severely dysplastic GSD.  The dog jumps 8" in group classes and loves coming.  I've encouraged them to continue in agility to maintain muscle and keep him mentally happy and active.  Plus his wife is in the class with her own dog, so it's fun for them to do something together each week.

Some of his classmates are now talking about entering their first ever trial in April and he might like to go too.

Is there any scenario where he could jump 8"?  The dog and handler are both youngish (dog is around 4 or 5, handler is 30s).  We could work on getting him up to 12" by then, but he seems happier at 8".  New competitors are so overjoyed at earning their first ribbon, would love for him to have that opportunity.

Thanks for any advice,
Elizabeth
Hi Elizabeth,
You might suggest to your student that they enter FEO and jump 8".  While they won't earn ribbons or points, they can"strut their stuff" in the ring,  play with their peers.  We've had situations such as this in the past and some exhibitors, their friends, trainers, etc. opted to give ribbons or certificates to acknowledge their accomplishments.  But the most enjoyment for exhibitors with dogs with severe physical challenges, was to be able to join their friends in the agility ring while keeping their dogs within a safe range of their abilities.
Another option in NADAC is to enter the non-jumping classes.

Becky
Becky Woodruff

eedogs

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
Thanks y'all!  I discussed the options with him at class this week, he's going to think about it.  I appreciate the replies!
Elizabeth