Author Topic: Contact Construction Question  (Read 569 times)

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
Contact Construction Question
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:40:17 AM »
I'm hoping someone will be able to offer me some assistance since my high school geometry has gotten rather weak . . .

I have a barely used, small dog and/or small puppy training A-frame and dog walk that I'm covering in NADAC-style rubber belting to donate to our NADAC club for their raffle that raises money for the local animal rescue.  I want to have the ascent and descent angles on both contacts to be as close as possible to NADAC inclines and declines.

The A-frame panels are 72 inches (6 feet) long . . . so how high should the apex be?

The dog walk planks are 60" (5 feet) long, so what should the height of the center plank be so the incline and decline planks have "proper" angulation?

Any help and assistance will be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Al & Pelli in OH
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Cory Wajda

• Judge
Re: Contact Construction Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:22:58 AM »
Hi Al,

To get the angles of the ramps the same as full size NADAC contacts (full size 9' A-frame is 5' high and 12' DW is 4' high):

For your A-frame with 72" panels, the apex should be 40" high.
For your DW with 60" ramps, the center plank height should be only 20" high.

(If anyone else does the math and gets different numbers, feel free to correct me!!)
Cory

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
Re: Contact Construction Question
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »
Hi Cory,

THANKS!!!  I had a friend e-mail me privately with the dog walk height, which agrees with yours . . . and the formula for the A-frame apex height, which also agrees with yours!!!

It's be 4 decades plus since I had geometry; and to say the least, my skills were RUSTY!!!

Thanks again,

Al & Pelli in Ohio
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.