Author Topic: Food ?  (Read 710 times)

Food ?
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:31:18 AM »
I have a food question for any one who knows.

First off I will not be able to do raw so we are talking kibble here.

I have been feeding Canine caviar after switching from blue. I am moving back to Michigan 6 months of the year. I am away in the country so no access to premium food locally. I would have to but a six month supply or drive 60 miles or so to stay on caviar.

My brother feeds his sled dogs and and labs Caribou Creek Gold  The Macro differences  Would be a protein increase from  29% to 34% and a fat increase from 15% to 30% Both are high quality cal.

My question is can I feed this food to my Jacks The are highly active.

Any input pro and con would be helpful. By brother swears by it say the dogs love it and the older dogs joint issues have improve a lot.

Thanks   
It not the dogs fault stupid!

JuliaJones

Re: Food ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »
I think the higher fat and protein content is better (depending on the other ingredients in the food). I have an extremely active and super high drive dog so I feed a combination of high fat and high protein with some carbs and supplements. I believe this combination really shines when endurance and stamina count.
He is still a crazy train at the end of a three day event when everyone else is dropping like flies.
I feed my 98lb Rottweiler
1cup Honest Kitchen Force (freeze dried food)
1/2cup oatmeal
1/2 scoop Dinovite
You can order Honest Kitchen Food and Dinovite Supplement on line
Hope this helps :)

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:38:19 PM »
I have recently switched to raw BUT - before that I was feeding ACANA Pacifica formula (grain free kibble made in their OWN plant in Canada with local and sustainable sources) and Honest Kitchen Thirve which is a DEHYDRATED raw NOT freeze dried like the last poster said.  My dogs were doing really great on it but for other reasons I switched to raw- if I went back ti kibble I would go back to that - before that I was feeding Wellness Core - also liked it but like the ACANA better - Acana is made by the same company that makes Orijen
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »
Check out this website.  It gives you a wealth of information on different foods.  You can go to a local store and find some foods that you might like and then check it out on here. 

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Laura

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »
Hi Dave, I think that you can still get the same food by mail. Hope that it's OK to mention a web site here... Mr. Chewy.com has just about every food that you would want. Mail order and free shipping over $50. Right to your door. Their prices are very fair. I didn't take the time to look to see if they have your brand, but they have many, many quality brands.  Hope this helps you out and that you can find your brand there.  Laura-Riley, Brewster and Callista's mom
Laura- Callista and Tango's mom